Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Artificer - first 13, first chapter

Author Topic: Artificer - first 13, first chapter
Surivas
Member # 3934

- posted      Profile for Surivas   Email Surivas         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the first 13 lines of my Novel tentatively titled 'Artificer'. I'm still working on this chapter, not to mention other background details such as how the world works - magic, nations, orders, and so forth.

Read on and enjoy.

The sound of wood on wood broke the silence that covered the training area. Small puffs of dust rose from where feet lightly stepped or were scraped as two men moved back and forth fluidly trading blows with practice blades. The younger of the two held the bundled wooden sword with both hands and breathed heavily as he eyed his opponent warily. His dark hair lay plastered against his neck and face as sweat trickled freely down his bare chest. Fresh welts stood out brightly across his arms and back reminding him that blows had gotten through his defence. His opponent stood opposite, training sword held in a light but casual grip. He barely breathed hard and simply waited for the younger of the two to make a move.
The younger man leaped forward swinging his sword in a long arc to

Posts: 13 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tortoisefly
Member # 3870

- posted      Profile for tortoisefly   Email tortoisefly         Edit/Delete Post 
"The sound of wood on wood broke the silence that covered the training area. Small puffs of dust rose from where feet lightly stepped or were scraped as two men moved back and forth fluidly trading blows with practice blades."
Nice opening. You might consider a comma in that last sentence though.

"His dark hair lay plastered against his neck and face as sweat trickled freely down his bare chest."
Again, a comma between "face" and "as."

"He barely breathed hard and simply waited for the younger of the two to make a move."
Umm... how do you barely breathe hard? Either you're barely breathing or you're breathing hard... aren't you?

Aside from a few technical issues, I like this so far. I'd read on.
~J

Posts: 15 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surivas
Member # 3934

Cool. Thanks for the feedback tortoisefly. It's always good to get this kind of stuff. Helps to hone my writing skills.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Surivas,

Welcome.

I don't know if many people will agree, but we see an awful lot of stories start with the training bout, wooden swords, dust etc. It can a real turn-off because it is done so often and they are all virtually identical. There are two types, one where the MC is almost a superhero and the other where they are completely outclassed by some uber-confident-competent opponent.

I hope you take this the right way but it may not be (probably isn't) the best place to start your story, in my opinion.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited September 25, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surivas
Member # 3934

Fair enough comment. I guess that is a fairly true observation of a typical fantasy novel/story opener.

It's definantly something to take into account as and when I start to edit and refine my work. It may even be that I write another opener from another angle.

Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
A cliche is a storyline that is boring and utterly predictable. Hoptoad has given you a run-down on the cliched category for a training-ground opener. If you can throw a totally unexpected element in (ie, maybe an arrow flies unexpectedly out of nowhere and barely misses one of the fighters... that sort of thing), you would yank it out of the realm of the cliche.

Overall, this opener has some nice imagery. I like the bundled wooden sword, which makes me think the sword has a wooden hilt with rags wrapped around it.

I got confused when you jumped from POV of "the younger of the two" into the POV of the opponent. I recommend you pick one POV and develop it more deeply.

Because this IS a cliched sort of opener, it doesn't hook me. I'm not turned off by what I see here, but neither do I have a strong reason to continue reading more. Some originality to the way this training session is unfolding would help a great deal. Or, as you hinted, perhaps starting at a different point in the story, something with tension and interest, might work better.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited September 25, 2006).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
I basically agree with what has already been said, except for one thing.

I (very respectfully!) disagree with Elan on the issue of POV. I had no problem with the POV in the first paragraph, chalking it up to fair use of Omni, or the first-paragraph-is-free rule, or both. I was dismayed, however, when I saw that the second paragraph didn't narrow in a little more, or at least give these characters names.

As for the cliché opening...I don't generally read fantasy, so I can't comment on how common this opening is. I can, however, tell that it is somewhat of a "stock" opener just by its generic nature. As Elan suggested, you can keep this opening by giving it something that makes it stand out.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
ditto hoptoad, plus: sports are interesting to play in or watch, but not to read about in fiction -- at least, every sport story I know that succeeded turned it into a grudge match, or something went wrong so that there was real physical danger, or (in one case) if the team didn't win they'd all go bankrupt -- and then pirates attacked and confiscated the pot.

I want to know the significance of what's happening. If it isn't significant, I'd rather skip it.

My other suggestion is that your story is very nearly cinematic. It's no crime, but I don't think it helps here. Instead of starting with a visual and gradually focusing on MC, I'd rather you start with MC and then show us what he's seeing.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surivas
Member # 3934

Thanks for the feedback guys and since then I've gone back and reread the opening chapter to try and guage what it is that I'm actually trying to kick the novel of this and, while haven't tossed the piece the out I have begun work on a new opening that hopefully kicks in to the inital setting fairly quickly before moving out to the smaller details.

Here it is for examination and disection - granted this again is just draft, most likely there'll be gramatical errors that haven't been picked up yet (Have a English Master for a wife and does an initial proofread of my work).

Casamyr leaned against the cold parapet of the Inner Keep and stared out over the city. Even now, hours later, the screams still rang in his ears, the flames still flickered in front of his eyes, but it was the screams that haunted him the most. Peering down, Casamyr could see the blackened smear in the square in front of the palace, the three figures of the Hunters still standing in their positions as smoked drifted up and was pulled away by the slight breeze. Casamyr thanked the Gods that the smell didn’t reach this far.
“You’ve been up here a long time, Casamyr.” Came a voice from behind.
Casamyr looked out across the city but didn’t turn around. “These people expect us to rule with a firm but fair hand. Yet,

[This message has been edited by Surivas (edited September 27, 2006).]

wbriggs
Member # 2267

I liked starting with Casimir's reactions to things. There's one thing that blocked me from getting what was happening. "Hours later..." -- later than what? What happened, with those screams? Casimir knows. Tell us!

Also, I was confused by his reaction to the voice from behind -- because you didn't tell us whose voice it was (or, if he didn't know, why he didn't turn around to find out).

Nit: unless there's a good reason, I'd spell "Gods" as "gods" -- most do, anyway.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surivas
Member # 3934

In other words don't use 'came a voice', just state the other person's name and on. Cool, thanks for the crit.

Gods, fair enough, just hadn't picked that one up, but would have changed it.

As for what happened I guess the 13 lines didn't quite cover it. Casamyr's speech covered what happened - ie the burning of a so-called Witch. Unless, you mean I should tell what happened in those opening two sentences.

wbriggs
Member # 2267

Yes, that's what I mean.
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, tell us the screams were from the burning of the witch. Until you responded to Wbriggs I thought it had been a full battle.

Also, tell me who the speaker is if the POV knows.

Great revision though! Much nicer, cleaner and more captivating than starting with the generic fight scene you originally had.

Keep at it.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surivas
Member # 3934

Touched up and sorted. Now that've added the name of the 'voice' that opening couple of paragraphs are now so much stronger than my original opening.

Even the owner of the voice has changed to somebody else and that has, in my opinion, made it more captivating.

My biggest issue that I'm having is deciding how and where to describe these characters - the first time you see them, a little later in the piece. It's really the only thing that is slowing my writing down at the moment because I'm constantly thinking about how these people look but where to put it so that it works.

kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Put it in where it naturally fits i.e. where your POV would think about it. It is not necessary and often not possible to do a full character description when that person first shows up. If the POV is weighing the new character (NC 1)as a potential sparring partner, the POV will notice/think about things related to that assessment. If the POV is dancing with NC 1, the POV will be attending to how s/he moves, dresses, eye color, in other words things YOU would naturally pay attention to in the situation.

Hope it helps

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

Consider this: you don't NEED to give the reader a physical description. Orson Scott Card wrote the book "Saints" and never once described the MC, and the readers came away with a strong sense of what she looked like. The reader will create an image that echoes THEMSELVES.

If the physical description MATTERS to the plot, THEN you can worry about where to tuck the information in... like in the Darkover series by Marion Zimmer Bradley where red hair indicated psychic abilities. If it doesn't matter to the plot, you don't need it.

Just a thought.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto Elan. Who can tell me what Ender looks like? More importantly, who cares? It isn't important to the story, so it's not there.
Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surivas
Member # 3934

Cool, thanks for that. I know what the characters look like and so forth, but your comments have really helped with this - ie physical description isn't actually all that important to the main plot.
Elan
Member # 2442

I've reiterated this story here before, but it bears repeating.

I had the pleasure of attending a Toastmasters speech given by a fellow named Randy Harvey who won (forgive me for not looking up the exact title) best Toastmaster speech of the year (lessee, I think it was for 2004. Google the name and the word toastmasters and you can gather the specifics). Anyhow, Randy's speech the day *I* heard him was how he WROTE the award winning grand prize speech.

The specifics that will stick with me were how important it is to leave some space for the listener (in your case, the reader) to customize the imagery. Randy's speech was about his father and his years as a teenager. He talked about his favorite old car... a Volkswagon. He never said a COLOR. He didn't want to shut down the listener's involvement with the story, to push them away because they start disengaging. ("Oh, your car was yellow? That's not like mine. I had green.") We all had old cars we loved, and he wanted us to feel the love of the old car, not get tripped up on whether our imagery fit his or not. He spoke about his dad wrapping him in a hug, and feeling his dad's old flannel shirt against his skin. But he never specified the color, because while his dad may have worn a red flannel shirt, maybe your dad wore a blue one. The color is unimportant... the texture and feel of comfort of being in your father's arms is all the description that really mattered to making an emotional connection with his story.

He let us build our own mental imagery and populate it with the things near and dearest to our OWN hearts. In short, he gave the audience enough space to allow them to co-create the speech with him.

I learned a lot about describing a scene from him. No one wants to read a laundry list of attributes. Instead, they want to connect emotionally and in a tactile way with the action.

It's not that I never describe appearance at all. But I no longer feel forced to make the reader see something through my eyes. Instead I try to leave a little space for them to paint the imagery themselves.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited September 29, 2006).]

Surivas
Member # 3934

thanks for the story Elan. And the more that I have considered the whole idea of a description for characters has changed a lot since I first posted here.

I have to agree with the idea of letting people build their own mental image of a character rather than feed a description to the reader. It's somethng that I've taken on board and I doubt that huge descriptions will be needed, rather the personality and the way the characters act will hopefully shape my readers images of what they look like.

I have a set look for my characters that helps me to write form their perspective.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.