Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Detective Daniel Sutton (Detective story, short)

Author Topic: Detective Daniel Sutton (Detective story, short)
zetars
Member # 2956

- posted      Profile for zetars           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a short detective story. Just want a critique over it.

Detective Daniel Sutton looked out over the crime scene with impassive eyes, the blood not bothering him, his expert eye cataloging any useful information. Head wound, he thought, gun shot, head wounds bleed allot, no struggle, victim knew his attacker, no sign of B&E, dead about an hour, found by sister, need to interview the sister, get somebody else to do it, no. I should, damn it. As these thoughts went through his head, he looked at his watch, noting that it was past midnight, most people would be asleep, but then, he wasn't most people.

"What's the corpse's name? He asked one of the uniformed officers cordoning off the apartment building. Average building, non-descript place, not high scale, not a dive either.

Posts: 78 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
You've tried to disguise an info dump as internal dialog. It's not working for me. There is no tension in this fragment, which is a shame, given the scene you are portraying. You are also telling, not showing, so it reads sort of flat and boring, like a police report.

Saying the detective is looking with impassive eyes is a contradiction to his active expert eye that is busy cataloging the information.

I suggest you SHOW us how the detective comes to these conclusions, or if the scene doesn't warrant that much detail, you can perhaps summarize it as he has a conversation with someone else. Work some action in amongst your laundry list of details.

Head wounds bleed a lot, not allot. Don't abbreviate B&E, spell it out for your reader. I presume you mean "breaking and entering."

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the form and clarity of this. To me the only thing it's really missing is a hook. "Yet another murder mystery" isn't a good hook for me, and that's all we have here. What makes yours special? Tell us in the first line, I think.

The details might be more interesting if they were a little more concrete. "...his expert eye cataloging what he saw. A pool of blood under the man's head -- head wounds did bleed a lot [if this is true? not sure]. Other than that, the body seemed almost at peace: there was no sign of a struggle." Etc. Etc.

I'll read.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djh
Member # 3826

- posted      Profile for djh   Email djh         Edit/Delete Post 
Everything feels routine and average about this set-up. Your main character is bored and even the apartment building is ho-hum. Maybe that's the point. If you mean to highlight the nothing-out-of-the-ordinary nature of this crime scene, then you succeeded, but I need at least a hint of something more intriguing to keep reading. Maybe some detail piques the MC's interest a little later, but we need it sooner. Like wbriggs said, you need a hook here, at least in the first paragraph, preferably in the first sentence.

I agree with Elan that perhaps dialogue with another person and a little action would make this better...and I didn't know what B&E meant.

Impassive means unemotional so that usage doesn't bother me, but there are too many "eyes" in the first sentence.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hendrik Boom
Member # 1991

- posted      Profile for Hendrik Boom   Email Hendrik Boom         Edit/Delete Post 
Detective Daniel Sutton seems bored. He even checks his watch as if he wants to see if the night shift is about to be over and he can hand the case over to another detective. If he doesn't care about the case, why should I?

Posts: 25 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omakase
Member # 2915

- posted      Profile for Omakase   Email Omakase         Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from what's already been mentioned I had a difficult time reading this because it seems to be one giant run-on sentence.
This needs a serious grammar review.

Also, I found it unbelievable that the cop would say "What's the corpse's name" instead of victim or some other identifier.

Posts: 179 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.