Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Short Story

Author Topic: Short Story
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

- posted      Profile for Swimming Bird           Edit/Delete Post 
22k. Literary. Crits on opening. Would you read on?

Clover can tell by the man's walk that he isn't a customer. Long strides: the confident swagger of a person who knows where he's going. A man who has no use for a golden arm.

"What you figure? Five-oh?" Rondel says. Two weeks working the package and the boy's instincts still aren't where they ought to be.

"Nah," Clover says. "Look at his shoes." They're worn, caked with the same dirt that lines every back street of Detroit. Cops going for buys most times put on the rattiest gear they can find, but blow it all by asking for an eight-ball wearing sneakers that look like they came straight from the factory.

[This message has been edited by Swimming Bird (edited October 12, 2006).]

Posts: 151 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Swimming Bird, but no. I don't mind the first person present, but this is too elliptical for my taste. Given the language you use, it may also be that I don't understand the lingo well enough.

> A man who has no use for a golden arm.

I don't know if this is a figure of speech or a real golden arm. If the former, I don't know what it means. If the latter, I don't understand why Rondel and Clover aren't noticing it.

> Two weeks working the package

I don't know what this means.

> Cops going for buys most times put on the rattiest gear they can find, but blow
> it all by asking for an eight-ball wearing sneakers that look like they came
> straight from the factory.

I really struggled to parse this sentence, especially beginning. I think I eventually figured out it menas that cops who are going for "buys", which must be a plural noun (an event, like a drug buy?) rather than a verb, wear poor clothing but ask for <<>> wearing new sneakers, and that gives them away. (Not sure what an eight-ball is: a drug?) Restructuring lightly to "When cops go for buys, most times they..." might help.

I might not be your target audience, but I had to work pretty hard to get what I got -- what I think I got -- out of this.

Good luck,
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hendrik Boom
Member # 1991

- posted      Profile for Hendrik Boom   Email Hendrik Boom         Edit/Delete Post 
Clover can tell by the man's walk that he isn't a customer. Long strides: the confident swagger of a person who knows where he's going. A man who has no use for a golden arm.

The man is the focus of attention here.

"What you figure? Five-oh?" Rondel says.

I immediately assume that Rondel is he man.

Two weeks working the package and the boy's instincts still aren't where they ought to be.

Now I'm confused. What boy? Ah! the boy is not the man, and because you say "the" boy, he must have been mentioned before ... so Rondel is a boy.

"Nah," Clover says. "Look at his shoes."

Yeuh. Now that's clear. Clover and the boy are looking at the man.

They're worn, caked with the same dirt that lines every back street of Detroit. Cops going for buys most times put on the rattiest gear they can find, but blow it all by asking for an eight-ball wearing sneakers that look like they came straight from the factory.

So he's not a cop, and Clover and the boy are probably in an illegal business.

Did I understand it right? Did you have to make me work so hard for it?

Posts: 25 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I was pretty confused too. It starts in sentence #1, in which I dont' know what business Clover's in.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, I didn't have the confusion about the boy and the man that Hendrik did. Since you didn't give "the man" a name, when I saw "Rondel" speak, I assumed they were different people.

Of course, sometimes people use different handles for the same person -- the classic opener about Captain James Anderson: "The captain stood on the deck. James wondered why the Jolly Roger was down. 'Anderson,' the first mate cried..." But you didn't do that much, and the one place you did worked for me. I didn't even notice it.

[This message has been edited by oliverhouse (edited October 12, 2006).]

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
here in Oz a golden arm mean a heroin addict.

is it the same there?

I liked it Swimming bird. I want to know who the guy is.

Only confusion: if its not a customer and not a cop who is he? In this case, the confusion is good.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Simon_S
Member # 3953

- posted      Profile for Simon_S   Email Simon_S         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd really like to read more of this story. The "golden arm" went past me too, didn't understand it, but I actually did not mind - I felt it'd be obvious to me soon enough.

Reading about cops and eightballs a little later on (and Detroit, of course ) put me right on track for the story. At least I hope so - only thing that would put me off at this moment would be if this would turn out NOT to be a gritty story of drugs and crime and violence and suchlike.

So, please, go on. I find your way of writing refreshing.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse D
Member # 3241

- posted      Profile for Jesse D   Email Jesse D         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, with the last two comments. I felt it was a very strong opening. I always appreciate ambiguity; it gives me enough curiosity to read on and figure out what's going on. Very well done.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
I would keep reading, but I would suggest finding a way to make clear what the slang means. I happen to watch The Wire on HBO a lot so I could follow it, but your average literary reader might not.

e.g.,

"What you figure, five-oh?"

"Five-oh? Nah, he's no cop." ...

kind of stuff, just a bit more direct than what you've done, until the reader gets oriented.

More of a nit: I've never been to Detroit and maybe it's unique among big cities, but I have a hard time envisioning shoes caked with dirt from walking the streets. Dirty and worn, yes. But "caked" makes it sound like he's been walking a freshly plowed field on a rainy day. You could chalk it up to hyperbole, but in the context of street hoods and their survival skills, a more objective assessment might be worth considering. Now, if Detroit is really a muddy place, ignore this paragraph.

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by dee_boncci (edited October 15, 2006).]

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarkJCherry
Member # 3510

- posted      Profile for MarkJCherry           Edit/Delete Post 
Alright. I like it. I would keep reading.

I would be disappointed if it doesn't turn out to be a story about drugs and violence, though, or perhaps getting OUT of drugs and violence, like getting out of Detroit.

With the exception of the "golden arm" reference, I understood everything else, and the structure didn't leave me baffled. So...I dunno. I'm assuming Rondel and Clover are selling Heroin, or their boss does and they're muscle of some sort or another.

Very interesting, gets ya thinking. In most cases people try to sew suspense with confusion. In this, what's left unsaid seems appropriately unsaid and leaving you wondering, but not confused.

I like it.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.