Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Serapis Fraktur

Author Topic: The Serapis Fraktur
grove
Member # 4349

- posted      Profile for grove   Email grove         Edit/Delete Post 
Thirteen lines is insufficient to explain a storyline as complex as Dostoevsky's - The Possessed.

Note: The story begins with the character explaining to the reader that he has changed careers from being a merchant (antiques dealer) to being an accredited professional appraiser. The two fields are distinct. Merchant is to EMT as Appraiser is to MD. Soon after he discovers an unusual object (a 1748 fraktur) he is killed in an apparent accident. An 18th century object that suggests contact with aliens, or at least an early vivid imagination, has the potential to profoundly alter present perceptions.... Was he accidentally killed or murdered? And why? The rest of the story provides the answer.

Two decades after I established my antiques business I decided to reinvent myself. The decision wasn’t difficult. I’d lived hand-to-mouth most of my career. I took the required courses for accreditation as an antiques appraiser. About the same time the appraisal society awarded me certification, I won the Lottery. Even though that windfall changed my life, I remained an antiques appraiser because I loved the work. Two years later I found a bazarre antique object. It indicated that either the maker had the imagination of H. G. Wells before the American Revolution or that extraterrestrials were witnessed in mid 1700s Pennsylvania. Before I had a chance to begin researching, I was killed.

[This message has been edited by grove (edited November 27, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by grove (edited November 27, 2006).]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I might change powerball to lottery. A generic term may be better because powerball may not exist in three years not to mention fifteen or twenty. If you even care if people will read it that far in the future. Furthermore foriegn english speakers may not know what powerball is either.

As a writer of ghost and supernatural stories this is a common beginning- but a reliable hook. (19th century ghost tales especially loved this beginning or end for that matter) If though your explanantion as to how he is able to tell his story beyond his death doesn't meet expectations then I would feel cheated.

JB Skaggs

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
My mind wandered a little. I'm not sure why. Maybe some rearrangement. Maybe it's just that nothing really happened of interest until the bazaar (bizarre?) antique object (book? something else?).

Length? What do you want -- readers for the whole thing, first 13, something else?

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with changing powerball to lottery. I had to read it twice to catch what happened in the bazaar - maybe I read it too fast. But it peaked my interest, what was the object? How did he die? So far so good, I think
Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you need to clarify if you mean bazaar (marketplace) or bizarre (peculiar, weird, odd.) I'm taking this to mean bizarre. Ditto on the powerball/lottery choice of words.

I'm a little confused about the chronology of events. You start out saying "two decades after I established my antiques business" then mention receiving certification, then two years later finding the bizarre object. It seems that immediately after finding the object, the MC is killed.

So, the question in MY mind is why would someone be in business for 20 years without seeking accreditation?? I am having a hard time resolving the logic of waiting 20 years to get certification in any business that provides a person with income and a career. It doesn't make sense. Obviously, that issue is also pulling me out of the story at the moment you need to hook me in.

If the time sequence made more sense, I'd say you have a good hook going here, otherwise.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited November 26, 2006).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omakase
Member # 2915

- posted      Profile for Omakase   Email Omakase         Edit/Delete Post 
I see you are new here, so I'll give you some critical advice.

Do not go back and change your 13 lines everytime someone makes a comment. Actually don't ever change the original ones. It is impossible to read the thread now and have it make any sense.

Post additionally but do not edit.

Posts: 179 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.