Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Demonfyre

Author Topic: Demonfyre
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
A sudden inspiration while I was writing some poetry, Fantasy, words TBD and I was wondering if anyone liked the beginning..does it sound interesting?

Numa sat on the rickety stool staring out the window. His black eyes followed the patterns the lightning traced in the sky. He loved to watch the storms, their power and energy enticed him. His small town was covered from view by the mist from his breath, it was better that way he hated the place. Benthar was a center for farming and all that graced it’s ancient roads were farmers, boring as far as Numa was concerned. In the midst of a yawn, something spectacular caught his sharp eye – a large fire. Numa’s eyes bulged and he jumped off the stool and ran for the door.
Numa banged open the heavy door to his families home and stepped out into the pelting rain. His father shouted after him, “Get in here Numa, where you going?”

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 25, 2006).]

Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not exactly hooked and not exactly not hooked. The fire could be interesting, but it could just be a fire. His reaction puzzles me. How old is he?
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

Seventeen...here is the reason why he ran to the fire,

Numa looked at his father and pointed to the town, “Fire” and ran down the path towards town, as fast as his feet could carry him. Not everyday you see a fire shaped like a man, he thought.
Numa’s father walked over to the open door and stared, “Never have I seen a fire as such.”

So it was something weird, wonderful and thrilling..so he thought

Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Now *that's* a hook.

Except...a fire shaped like a man is also called a "burn victim." Very bad news. (Of course, it's still a hook, but for MC to consider it a fun spectacle would need explanation.)

Anyway, I think the reader needs to know approx age.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

“What is it Nuva?” Nuva’s wife grabbed hold of his large hands, and looked towards the town.
“Demonfyre, some fool mage or priest has opened the gate – Mael has returned” Nuva’s face paled and his dark eye’s seemed suddenly empty.
Numa’s feet slipped and he fell heavily, mud splashed on his rain soaked clothes and stained his white shirt. Wiping the excess mud from his shirt and face, Numa looked up and nearly swallowed his tongue. The fire being stared at him with hatred.Pain, sudden and sharp felled him like a tree. Numa felt a powerful presence in his mind...

Its building up to it, age, why..description of Mael..its moving pretty good for a first draft..

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
TMan1969, how many fragments of this story do you think you can post in this topic?

Shall I delete or edit out all the other fragments you've posted from this story every time you post a new fragment?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

My apologies Kathleen, I was trying to explain something and I thought that this way was the best - I will not do so again. Sorry
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
If you explain with summaries, that's better. The 13-line rule applies to actual story text.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
berserc
Member # 4273

- posted      Profile for berserc   Email berserc         Edit/Delete Post 
I like some of your word choices here and I'm definately hooked.

Some small things:

I would alter the 'Benthar was a center...' sentence and change farmers to commoners or peasents or something other than farmers. Of course its roads were filled with farmers it was a center of farming!

I also think the father would probably only have time to yell one command or ask one question. Considering how Numa bolted.

Great start, I think this works.

--
Berserc

Posts: 16 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.