Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » SoulCaster (working title)

Author Topic: SoulCaster (working title)
trailmix
Member # 4440

- posted      Profile for trailmix   Email trailmix         Edit/Delete Post 
First 13 of a fantasy story I'm working on. Im not really sure if this is where I am going to start yet. I edited this a bit based on Wbriggs comments. A few alterations based on survivors comments. Added the coma. Take 4.

Raithe walked with slow, measured steps back to the temple. His head tilted down as if it were too heavy for his wrist thin neck. He self-consciously tugged at the front of his hood, tucking his stringy white hair beneath it and ensuring it hid as much of his face as possible. The market vendors glanced at him nervously as they set up shop for the day. A wave of silence walked with him, subsiding only when people thought he was out of earshot. He knew the tales spun at his expense in the local tavern. The staring and whispers he could handle. Looking like the walking dead was bound to stir up a little village like Plow. Superstition, magic and curses were real to these small town folks.

And here I am, thought Raithe, living proof that they're right.

[This message has been edited by trailmix (edited December 19, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by trailmix (edited December 20, 2006).]

Posts: 148 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I could use some clarification of what's up (why do the vendors disapprove of him?). Then maybe I can either sympathize when the bullies show up to torment him, or be glad, depending on whether I'm on his side or not.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailmix
Member # 4440

Good point. Disaproving might not be the correct word either. I think "nervous glances" would be more appropriate. I also should mention that Raithe walking through town is an extremely rare occurance. He looks like a zombie. The reason for his grotesque appearance is often debated at the local pubs and knitting circles. He lives at the temple. He is an orphan.

I think I am starting in the wrong place. At this point there may be too much you need to know.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Are ghouls and liches sufficiently well defined (meaning believed to be real) by this culture for "ghoul" to be an "apt description" for a person that does not actually derive sustenance in some manner from the dead or dying?

More to the point, is Raithe actually feared by the adults of the community?

There are some very minor technical issues, a missing comma here, an out of POV observation there, but overall my hang-up is the question above. I think that this is a fine place to start, if you take out the bully, which just doesn't make any sense and breaks me out of the development thus far.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailmix
Member # 4440

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/003501.html

Thanks for the comments Survivor. I was hoping to hear from you. I made a couple alterations on the original post. The link above is to the magic system I intend to introduce.

Scott

Survivor
Member # 213

Good answer. Usually you want to post new versions in a new post, so that readers can give feedback on whether they think that the story is getting better or worse, but as I'm willing to say that I like this version better the utility of that is merely hypothetical.

If it is important to the beginning of the story that Raithe isn't accepted by the villagers, then this is a good place to start. I suppose that his musing about "these small town folks" might foreshadow a decision to seek out a more tolerant society in a city or perhaps a university of some kind (a school for "soulcasters", perhaps). Which would make an interesting story. That story would logically begin with being shown why he wants to leave the village, and this scene is a good way to accomplish it.

Still think that you need a comma between "slow" and "measured" (partly for the stylistic impact of making that sentence slow and measured, partly for grammar) and that you should recast the second sentence with better POV, but both of those are very minor nits.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailmix
Member # 4440

I keep meaning to put that comma there but it escapes my attention during rewrites.

I'll take your advise about starting a new post for the rewrites next time.

I definately see the improvement between the first version and the current. I am still unsure about this as the start point though.

The MC is a ward of the temple due to the death of his mother and possibly his father. They were killed by a soulcaster. His mother was pregnant at the time. She was also a soulcaster. She used her last bit of life charge to shield the baby in her womb. Raithe lived but was not ordinary, not even for a soulcaster. Death energy grew in him as well as life. That is why he looks like the walking dead. Part of the conflict will be that nobody truely knows what will happen to him once he reaches adulthood.

I was thinking perhaps the attack of his mother and father may be a better place to start although that information can be given later, when he seeks answers from the priest that found him.

[This message has been edited by trailmix (edited December 22, 2006).]

TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
Having read the comments and then reading your first twelve, I feel the story has potential and I got an immediate image of the Raithe. Reading your synopsis, your story will definetly be a hit with the HP fans - young and old.
I would read more, just to see what transpires next. Well done.

Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailmix
Member # 4440

Thanks TMan. One question. What does the HP in "HP fans" stand for. Not familiar with the term.

Scott

SimonPatterson
Member # 4569

- posted      Profile for SimonPatterson   Email SimonPatterson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing Harry Potter?
Posts: 18 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I think that HP fans will be a little put off by the appearance thing. But I wouldn't know, I don't like the books at all and I've started to tire of the movies. The problem with starting at the attack is that Raith cannot reasonably remeber anything about it, since he wasn't even born at the time. He only knows about what happened second-hand, and only a guess at that.
trailmix
Member # 4440

I think the story will be a little too dark for HP fans. Maybe some of the older ones will get into it. Im really not thinking about an audience right now. I just want to write a good story.

I do have a question for you guys about the opening. Raithe is a boy of maybe 13 years. When I read the first 12 I dont see that. I dont want to give the reader a clear picture of the MC in the first paragraph and then have them re-imagine the character in the next. So I was thinking about changing a line.

Looking like the walking dead was bound to stir up a little village like Plow.

to

Looking like the walking corpse of a 13 year old boy was bound to stir up a little village like Plow.

what do you think?

trailmix
Member # 4440

On that note, is there anyone interested in reading a couple chapters for me. Im not quite done with them yet but expect to be soon. I would really appreciate it. I am just getting back into writing and this is the first time Ive put anything out to be critiqued.

Scott

Survivor
Member # 213

If he's thirteen, then don't refer directly to his age, show us some "other boys" being pulled/shooed away lest they draw his unwelcome notice. Maybe say something moderately understanding, like "perhaps they could see his hunger when he looked at them, though what he really envied was their parents, however foolish."

In any case, his age per se isn't really that important just yet, because he's not a normal 13 year old. What is important is that he compares himself with other kids of about that age, or that he's approaching some important milestone like his coming of age ceremony or whatever. Whenever you want to tell us something, ask yourself why it matters and then put it in that context.

As for reading, I can do a chapter sometime.

trailmix
Member # 4440

Thanks Survivor.
That makes sense. The line sounded a bit forced to me anyway.

Tara
Member # 4638

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very interested in the rest of this. I got a very clear image in my mind as I read your paragraph and it made me want to keep reading.

That said, if you ever need it, I'll be happy to read more. There were a few technalities I noticed in the sentence structure that could be fixed, but they were just minor things.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailmix
Member # 4440

Thanks Tara and Survivor.

Once I have a chapter or two I will be sure to send it to you. I really appreciate it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.