Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Tyre

Author Topic: Tyre
Ash
Member # 4615

- posted      Profile for Ash   Email Ash         Edit/Delete Post 
“As kind as your offer is, I am afraid I must refuse.” The representative was unhappy, and made this apparent.
The other businessman in the room grinned. This was the reaction they had expected, just the play they had wanted out of Lucinda Corporation. The smaller company was going through hard times, but certainly wasn’t doomed yet, which was the reason for this meeting, and also for the recording devices hovering about the room broadcasting this interview. If Lucinda were doomed, the merger offer would have been conducted in secret, but this play was meant to make the Lucinda Corporation rep. uncomfortable, nervous in front of his viewers. The merger would not benefit Lucinda’s interests, so it would certainly be refused, but the fact that it was on the table, combined with

A first thirteen that I think needs revision, too much thought, too slow to take off, but I want a second opinion if I can have one. I am also thinking of starting a little earlier in the plot. In any case, thoughts would be eagerly accepted.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited December 28, 2006).]

Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Two thoughts:

You don't provide a character (by name) for the reader to identify with and you start with a big meaty paragraph that requires a lot of concentration to wade through. You might consider more clearly introducing a POV character in the first sentence, and break things up to make it more readable. Perhaps the background info could be worked in after the meeting is in motion?

Edit for clarity

[This message has been edited by dee_boncci (edited December 27, 2006).]

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto all that. My attention drifted when I got a representative rather than Joe or Frank, and when I got "This was the reaction they had expected," I knew we weren't getting a POV character. There's no one to care about yet.

I say pick a POV character, name him, and show us why he cares about the experience he's having.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Seconded what's above. There's no involvement with a character, and I surely don't care about corporations. You're explaining a lot without actually explaining anything that matters, like "what does Lucinda corp do?"

Sorry, but I wouldn't read on.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse D
Member # 3241

- posted      Profile for Jesse D   Email Jesse D         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd echo the above sentiments. I had a hard time wading through who was who, and the business with the recording equipment made very little sense to me. If you tell this from the POV of the person being extended the offer, you could explain how they could detect the attempts to rattle their nerves, and their perception of the intimidation going on. It'd be much stronger as a result.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stormshine
Member # 3687

- posted      Profile for Stormshine           Edit/Delete Post 
" “As kind as your offer is, I am afraid I must refuse.” The representative was unhappy, and made this apparent. "

I'm assuming that the representative is the one who was talking. If that's the case, and he was making his unhappiness apparent by refusing the offer, it's redundant to say 'and made this apparent'.

Other than that, I pretty much agree with everyone else. It's a confusing beginning without a POV character and it doesn't give me a reason to want to care about the Lucinda Corporation.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.