Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » That guy

Author Topic: That guy
tgwharton
Member # 8430

- posted      Profile for tgwharton   Email tgwharton         Edit/Delete Post 
Jared was bored, as usual. He sat on the railing between the main engines, leaned on the locker to his left and repeatedly banged his head against it. He had joined the fleet five years before with hopes and aspirations of maybe one day traveling to a distant star. Of the 36 men that he entered the service with only 10 completed the brutal training program and reported to the fleet. Of those ten only five successfully completed the qualifications to operate the propulsion plant. And now, all he regularly operated was the coffee pot on a patrol boat just outside of Pluto's orbit. His job was to be ready to operate the plant. This did not provide the excitement he had anticipated. Fortunately, for everyone on board, he was ready when the unknown craft was detected.XXHooked/Good/Bad/ Voice/POV

[This message has been edited by tgwharton (edited January 19, 2009).]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post 
hiyas tgwharton sorta hooked, though most is back story// feel some sympathy for your MC the last sentence about the unknown craft promises a page turn hope this helps
Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tgwharton
Member # 8430

- posted      Profile for tgwharton   Email tgwharton         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, for your reply. Is background at this point a bad thing? It seems right to set up for the story line.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post 
some would like more action and less backstory right off the bat///for this kinda story, this works for me but get other opinions ///
Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omakase
Member # 2915

- posted      Profile for Omakase   Email Omakase         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the backstory is overkill at this point. It can be worked into the story in pieces if it is truly vital to the plot.

Starting off with "Jared was bored" is not the strongest opening line. No need to tell me that -- go ahead and show it (again only if it is relevant) which you started to do in the second line.
I'd question whether it is really needed.

I'm confused a little -- if he is on a patrol "boat" (do you really want to use that term?) outside Pluto's orbit, is the craft just sitting in space, not moving? If it's stationary it doesn't do much patrolling and if it's moving then wouldn't the propulsion plant be operating already?

Just some things to think through...

Posts: 179 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.