Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Dragons Are Forever (Fantasy 850 words)

Author Topic: Dragons Are Forever (Fantasy 850 words)
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I've reworked this story (which used to have a different name).

Here are the first 13:

Racela knelt and dried her brother’s tears, then hugged him close. He cried as only a small child can--as though his world had ended. A part of it had, when his favorite dragon had died that morning, misjudging a turn in the morning acrobatics display.
“Don’t cry, Joren. Garm was old. He has gone to be with the Goddess. You will see him again, someday.”
“Only beings able to use magic go to the Goddess’ presence,” Agast said coming up behind her on the long balcony that overlooked the rainbow-colored cliffs where the dragons made their nests.
Racela closed her eyes and suppressed her anger with an effort. Of all the priests to be present today, it had

Anyone want to read the whole thing?

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
This was pretty good without really gripping me. Any comments would just be nitpicks such as maybe cutting that first sentence to: "Racela hugged her brother close." seeing as you say in the next sentence that he's crying.

I'll have a read if you like.

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sixbells
Member # 8610

- posted      Profile for Sixbells   Email Sixbells         Edit/Delete Post 
I was engaged from the first line, especially about the young child crying as through the world had ended. However the tension was lost for me once you mention the dragon. I think you introduced the reason for the crying too soon, if you put it at the end for me at least it would have created more suspense.
But it's only a minor criticism.

[This message has been edited by Sixbells (edited May 30, 2009).]

Posts: 35 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it, if there's no rush. The only problem (other than nits) I saw was too many unfamiliar names--but i could sense it was going to clear up.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Just about anything with dragons works for me It's short enough, I'm willing to read the whole thing.
I very much like "...as though his world had ended. A part of it had..."

The one nitpicky thing that jumped out at me was the name Agast--too much like "aghast"--I picture him with a perpetual look of mortified shock.

And, um, rainbow-colored cliffs makes me think of Smurfs.

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited June 01, 2009).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read!
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.