Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Rewrites - first few line of a WIP

Author Topic: Rewrites - first few line of a WIP
Tess
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Tess   Email Tess         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to try a different spin on this thirteen line thing. I learn a lot through example, and would benefit from seeing how others approach the task of revising their work. So, instead of posting the first few lines of my work and asking for feedback, I'd like to post my first version of the first few lines of a particular chapter I'm working on, the ones I first wrote when faced with a blank page (or close to it), and follow it with a later rewrite.

I know my writing stinks on the first draft. I read somewhere else in this forum, and I couldn't possibly dig it up and tell you where, that the finer points of writing having to do with style and voice don't emerge until the rewrites. So true. I think we can all learn from looking at how another person approaches the rewriting task.

I hope others will post a few examples. Here is mine. Rip into it if you'd like.

First time through:

I chuckled at the image of Kelly as a skunk, forcing herself on people repelled by her stink. She pressed open the bi-fold doors and I followed her into the café. The view stopped us dead in our tracks - a miniature city loomed ahead.

Located in an old warehouse refurbished with wood and burnished chrome, at least four stories of platforms filled the interior. Winding staircases let to the various gathering places, and the crowds sandwiched in the best viewing ports spilled over like a swarm of ants.

An intensive rewrite:

I chuckled at the image of Kelly, as a skunk, forcing herself on people repelled by her stink. She pressed open the bi-fold doors and I followed her into the café. Like desert travelers accosted by the strip lights of Las Vegas, the view stopped us dead in our tracks.

A throng of people filled the interior. They jostled and pressed against each other in the way a swarm of ants covers a dropped muffin. Faces peered down on us over thin metal railings. The staggered platforms that contained them reached as high as four stories in some places; floating staircases servicing the network laced a curtain of spectators with two-way traffic. The way the arrangement circled the door, I thought at first we had entered onto the stage of a futuristic stadium.

[This message has been edited by Tess (edited November 17, 2004).]

Posts: 98 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
Too many similies of different varieties. Either it's like Vegas, like an anthill, or like a futuristic stadium, but not all three. I don't mean to get too picky, but there's really no way the character would think he or she is in a futuristic stadium. One might think one's surroundings look like a futuristic stadium, but probably not that they are one.

In the first go, you're writing a story. In the second, you're trying to hard to be a writer, and I'm afraid it shows. The action in the first try is much clearer than the second effort.

When you rewrite, do so with an eye towards improving the story, the characterization, moving the plot along clearly, and firmly establishing setting. Try keeping the metaphorical language down to your best gems--only a few really good ones per page. It gets quite tiresome to read that everything in the whole story is like something else, and all these something elses aren't related to each other, nor do they enhance the reader's understanding of the story. A good metaphor or simile is an unusual juxtaposition of two unlike ideas that adds to one's understanding and perception of the story. There's an art to it. It is difficult to put one's finger on why a simile works or not, but if you keep them to a minimum in the first place, they'll be more effective when you use them.

By the way, is it really "chucked," or do you mean "chuckled?"

[This message has been edited by Magic Beans (edited November 17, 2004).]

Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Neither version makes literal sense to me.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tess
Member # 2199

Thank you for the input, Magic Beans. You're right, I'm trying hard. I also realize that I will read this again in a few days and see it entirely differently, and maybe by then I'll have enough distance by then to recognize the overuse of images on my own.

Thanks also for catching the typo. You can tell I use cut and paste, because I made the same mistake twice. I corrected it above.

Phanto, I hope some of the confusion is the fact that this is taken out of context. I'm trying to move my characters into a new situation and didn't provide an explanation of what happened before.

NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with MagicBeans about the similes, they are confusing the setting.

I heard once that if you say "blue eyed polar bear" then people can't help but get a mental image of it.
That's the problem I had with both versions. I got unrelated mental flash-images of the following as I read:
woman, skunk, bi-fold doors, café (looked like a Starbucks in my head), desert (sand and camels), Las Vegas strip (colorful blinking lights), black ants, muffin (blueberry because I like them), floating staircases (Escher style), a white lace curtain (prompted by the word laced which was in close proximity to the word curtain), two-way traffic (a blacktop road with yellow lines down the middle), and a stadium
95% of those images did nothing to describe what the POV character (and the reader) is supposed to be looking at. Thus they confused the image in my head, instead of making it clearer.

My suggestion is to stick to the first version. It was simpler. You might want to remove "a miniature city". As I read, I took it too literally. Then I couldn't get a mental image of what they were really looking at.

If you go with version one, you need to focus on the second paragraph. I think there is a problem with sentence structure.
As I understand it, you are trying to say that:
The interior of the old warehouse was refurbished in wood and burnished chrome. At least four stories worth of platforms filled it from top to bottom.
Your sentence says:
Located in an old warehouse refurbished with wood and burnished chrome, at least four stories of platforms filled the interior.
Ok, So what's the problem?
First of all, it's really two ideas separated by a comma.
Let's separate the two ideas into:
Located in an old warehouse refurbished with wood and burnished chrome. At least four stories of platforms filled the interior.

The second sentence is fine, but the first one is incomplete. It has no subject and no verb.
Try:
The (subject) was located in an old warehouse refurbished with wood and burnished chrome. At least four stories of platforms filled the interior.

Well, that's my 2 cents. Keep working on it. It is a learning process for all of us.

By the way - chucked vs. chuckled was extremely funny to me. Because I kept thinking "up-chucked" and decided that "chucked" was more like a single dry heave, instead of actually vomiting. The image kinda worked for the POV character's reaction to Kelly.

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh!

Sorry for being an idiot; I assumed that these were your first 13! I humbly beg your apologies for not being a good critiquer and not reading your post in good enough detail :P.

However, the new version does suffer from major problems.

Quote:
I chuckled at the image of Kelly, as a skunk, forcing herself on people repelled by her stink. She pressed open the bi-fold doors and I followed her into the café

The first sentence demands explanation from elsewhere, so it shall be left alone. The second sentence is also fine. Good first two sentences!

Quote:Like desert travelers accosted by the strip lights of Las Vegas, the view stopped us dead in our tracks.

Eeeiik! Alright, imagery is good and all that. As a personal charactersitic, I dislike this kind of writing. But by itself, it is OK.

Quote: They jostled and pressed against each other in the way a swarm of ants covers a dropped muffin.

a) This sentance makes me laugh.
b) It immediately drops the reader out of any immersion s/he may have in your text. It is simply way too over the line.

Quote:Faces peered down on us over thin metal railings. The staggered platforms that contained them reached as high as four stories in some places; floating staircases servicing the network laced a curtain of spectators with two-way traffic.

This entire chunk is written in an elaborate, high-style prose. The reader will have to bear all his/her strength to decipher it. Which is, IMO, very, very bad.

Quote:The way the arrangement circled the door, I thought at first we had entered onto the stage of a futuristic stadium.

This image by itself is not too bad. I disagree with MB. I've had experiences where something feels like it's from a different time, such as when entering those really new cars and they glid over the ground and I get carsick because it feels too unnatural ^^.

---------------

Thoughts: This type of scene, which is really just expository, should not be a major absorber of your time. In fact, after a certain amount of touch-up, you should leave your stuff alone and move on. Do not pile all this literary purple prose on us!

It's great you have an imagination; so do us readers. Please let us use ours to fill in the blanks, and good luck!

[This message has been edited by Phanto (edited November 17, 2004).]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tess
Member # 2199

Thank you NewsBys. I’ve already done another rewrite, and already took some of your advice. It helps to read the comments. I hate writing in a vacuum, with only myself for feedback. I laughed too when I realized the upchuck mistake. I had to suffer through a moment embarrassment first, though.

Phanto, I appreciate your input. Seems I’m the kind of writer destined to initially over do it, and then cut back in the revision process. You’re right, I shouldn’t spend too much time on the exposition. I wrote another five book pages of this chapter today as well, and they are not exposition. I’m trying to incorporate comic elements though out the entire story, so maybe I should keep the weird muffin image?!#& This is a scene with some build up prior to it, so I think I wanted to do an especially good job visualizing the transition. I think I’ll hold off posting any more rewrites on this one – I don’t want you guys to get as sick of the segment as I am already.

Please, somebody else do this kind of post. We’re all working on the writing process, and I for one need to concentrate more on the process aspects rather than beat myself up over the final product.

[This message has been edited by Tess (edited November 17, 2004).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.