Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Untitled (Just started) Non-Fiction

Author Topic: Untitled (Just started) Non-Fiction
plumeh
Member # 3160

- posted      Profile for plumeh   Email plumeh         Edit/Delete Post 
As I walked down the hall brushing past all my schoolmates, I saw him. The hottest guy that like ever existed. I had such a crush on him, but i could never bring myslef to tell him. He walked with such grace and poise that i felt like fainting. My friends all told me to tell him, but whenever im around me i get this feeling in my stomach thats like 10 times worse than butterflies. I am always wondering if thats a sign that i shouldnt talk to him, but I try to push the thought out of my head. Besides, i dont HAVE to tell him just because i like him. Theres no rule book saying that.. right?
Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plumeh
Member # 3160

- posted      Profile for plumeh   Email plumeh         Edit/Delete Post 
Woops, sorry, it supposed to be

"whenever im around him" sorry!

(third line down)

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
myself is misspelled
He was the hottest guy
Capitalize your "I" 's
Make it all present tense.

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm...I wasn't exactly hooked.
For me, grace, poise, and "hotness" just don't go together.
Also, if I were you, I'd try not to use "like" for that purpose. You might also like to touch up on the grammar before you submit it.

(By the way, you can edit your posts. Just click the pencil and paper icon above it.)

Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, a lot of grammatical errors that I have seen.

quote:
but whenever im around me i get this feeling in my stomach thats like 10 times worse than butterflies

To my knowledge numbers are usually written. Not as a number but as a word. So for 10 it's ten. Simple and easy to remember, I hope. If anyone disagrees with me on that then blast me for it, lol.

You should capitalise all your "i"s for it made it hard to read.

quote:
I saw him. The hottest guy that like ever existed

Hottest? Is this from a teens perspective? Grace and Poise? Those words do not mix well with Hottest. If you wanted to tell us he was the hottest guy while using "grace and poise" would be handomse or charming.

The way it's written is that you are just talking to us, not telling a story. I guess I'm possibly also guilty of this, I don't know, but try and tell us through a story perspective. I do know it's 1st person but try.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
Leigh - I'm pretty sure you're right. Numbers aren't written numerically, but as words in stories.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I demur from the suggestion for present tense. It doesn't seem at all natural in this voice.

Voice is cool. It wouldn't be my kind of story, I think, but I'm not sure. If I were reading this, I'd read on to see what happened.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessica
Member # 3099

- posted      Profile for Jessica   Email Jessica         Edit/Delete Post 
This has a lot of potential. An important thing to remember: Show don't tell. (I've been told this almost a half a million times just this year).
An example of how you can show not tell: You tell that he is the hottest guy--but it's better to show it. Say why the MC thinks he is hot. Is it his stunning blue eyes? His charming smile? His muscled arms? Telling that he is hot doesn't convey as much imagery as showing it--if you show it the reader can visualize it.
Also, avoid saying things exactly as everyone else says it. Everyone describes the feelings of a crush as butterflies in the stomach--it'd be stronger if you thought of a new way to describe it.
The second to last line confused me? What doesn't she have to tell him? You should tell it because it is confusing.
Just remember all the grammar that everyone else is talking about. I'm sure your story has plenty of potential.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choccido
Member # 3299

- posted      Profile for Choccido   Email Choccido         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it just sounds like another diary entry to me. When you're saying "like", don't forget to put commas after it. By then way, if it is a diary entry, most people want to say more by writing less, so you don't even need to put the "like"s in, because there are other ways of making her sound like a teenager without making her say "like" every three seconds.
Just a thought, but you might want to speel check, and check your grammar before you post it so it makes it easier for readers to.... Actually read.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
What will this be? Nonfiction, of course, but about how long, and for what purpose -- telling a story?
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.