Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Brothers

Author Topic: Brothers
sholar
Member # 3280

- posted      Profile for sholar   Email sholar         Edit/Delete Post 
My first fragment! Yeah!
Around 4300 words, fantasy (well, takes place in past in a made up world but in this story, no magic or dwarves or anything) The story is complete so if anyone finds it interesting enough to read the rest and critique, that would be great. Most of my short stories take place in this same world with same characters so if I ever finish another story and post it'll probably be related.

Kieran Ragaer stood silently as his attendants adjusted his hair yet again. He snapped at them as they moved to adjust the robes. His silk and velvet robes were already perfectly in place. They moved away. Kieran looked in the mirror. The mourning white was trimmed by the deep green and gold of the royal family and it seemed as though under their weight he shrunk to nothing. His dark hair, his dark eyes, his slight build, they all contrasted with his father’s perfect golden looks and in these robes, he felt an imposter. He had worn the colors for his whole life and never had they felt so imposing. But then, he had been a prince. Now, he would be a king.

Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
giggles
Member # 3279

- posted      Profile for giggles   Email giggles         Edit/Delete Post 
The first sentence needs a sample of worry portrayed in the silence. I think with out it the second sentence doesn't read as strong.

The description of the robe threw me for a minute. White isn't usually customary for mourning.

All in all, it was interesting. I'd read more.

Chrissie

Posts: 34 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I found it ok, but the extent of the robes was a little irritating as the robes were going to end up being as good as they could have been without any person, whether they may be a soldier or maid, fussing over them. That part could be a little less done, or totally left out.

Is there a reason why he was wearing white and not black? If so, maybe a little hint as to why that is can be placed in there somewhere.

Hope this helps a little

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
The color of the robes didn't really bother me, Different cultures use different colors.

I thought this a good start with a decent hook, except sentances 2-5 are a bit short and the cluster of them chops up the flow of you first paragraph.

It did interest me enough to want to read the rest of it though when you are ready. But, understand this would be my first critique.

Let me know.

[This message has been edited by mommiller (edited April 01, 2006).]

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

mommiller- I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback! Also, I have no time limitations so whenever you get to it is fine.
White is the color of mourning throughout most of Asia, so I didn't think it would be a big deal to use that. I'll have to think about that for a bit.

Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wusong101
Member # 3320

- posted      Profile for Wusong101   Email Wusong101         Edit/Delete Post 
Sholar,
White is the color of mourning in China, and the color did not bother me at all.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green_Writer
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for Green_Writer   Email Green_Writer         Edit/Delete Post 
Stood silently? Perhaps stood still and silent, or something. Stood silently just seems awkward to me. As has been stated, the second sentece needs work, or it needs to be deleted. Aside from those minor things, I like the fragment.
Posts: 67 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmilyAsAlways
Member # 3323

- posted      Profile for EmilyAsAlways   Email EmilyAsAlways         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is a good opening (and yes, I think white is just fine for a mourning colour--I think it is common enough knowledge that white is a funeral color and red a wedding color in Asia that readers aren't going to be distracted when they see a similar idea in a story). All of the sentences work well for me except for the sixth one--I think the word order slows down the pace too much, but it could be fixed if you tweak it a bit. I think that it would seem smoother if you put the main idea of the sentence before the nonessential description. What about "The mourning white was trimmed by the deep green and gold of the royal family; it seemed as though he shrunk to nothing under their weight" or "...the weight of the robes", etc.

Hope that helps.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that this is a nice start. I have a feeling that this is a somewhat bookish character, not in the passionate or literary style either, but more like an accountant.

I like the way that this scene works with the title to introduce one main character tension while another story tension waits it's turn in the wings. I'd certainly be willing to read more.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FastCat
Member # 3281

- posted      Profile for FastCat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They moved away. Kieran looked in the mirror.

These sentences seem clipped, which can work if the pacing of the story requires it.
suggestion: Kieran looked in the mirror, as the attendants moved away.

quote:
it seemed as though under their weight he shrunk to nothing.

I am probably wrong on this one but...
To whom did it seem as though he shrunk to nothing?

quote:
colors for his whole life and never had they felt so imposing. But then, he had been a prince. Now, he would be a king.

This doesn't read right. Never had they felt so imposing, which means that right now they feel the very most imposing. "But then he had been a prince", doesn't jive with the previous sentence. Maybe if he said they had felt so imposing his whole life.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Nits are okay, good even. But you should clearly list them as nits rather than presenting them as some kind of serious problem that needs to be fixed. I've noticed a lot of people aren't doing that, and it distorts the feedback quality severely.

As for questions, you should only ask them if you're willing to have me answer them

It's from his own POV, as he looks in the mirror. The establishment isn't perfect from the first line, but it is without major flaws.

It seems to him that he's shrinking to nothing under the weight of the (and here we have a really good example of effective multiple reference, try inserting any of the nouns from the entire sentance and you still get a sensible and powerful image).

When he was a child, they were just his family colors. As he's grown older he's become more aware of how important those colors are. But now, wearing those colors as king, he feels the impression, even the intrusion, more fully than he has ever felt it before.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

Survivor- I have always thought you give very insightful comments. You mentioned that from the first thirteen, you would be willing to read more. Would you be willing to critique the rest? If you are too busy, I understand. If you have any stories you would like me to critique, I would be willing. Either way, thank you for your thoughts on my fragment.
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not repulsed, but I'm not quite hooked yet. I *think* what you're going for is that Kieran isn't sure he's up to being king. But I'm not sure. I would like to know a little more of his thoughts and feelings.

Possibly you might show us Kieran snapping at an attendant (pick one), if you decide to keep that.

One thing that's interesting, if you make sure we know you know it, is if Kieran is so royal in his mind that he can think about his future, look over his robes, etc., as though the others in the room weren't even there. He's doing it, but I want to be sure that's not author overlooking interactions, but actually his own self-assured attitude.

The fact that you've got me thinking this way rather than saying "Whoa! I'm confused!" or "Pick a POV!" means to me that you're doing a good job.

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited April 03, 2006).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 

Combine the two sentences.

HE snapped at them as they moved to adjust his silk and velvet robes which were already perfectly in place.

Then combine 'They moved away.' With 'Keiran looked in the mirror.'

Or maybe say 'He moved away from them to look at himself in the mirror.

I liked it.

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, I'm back. Send it over.

I'll go ahead and add my nit to the chorus, it wouldn't hurt to mention that Kieran is watching himself (or those fussy attendants) in a mirror in the first line. That might avoid the impression of him turning his head to snap at them, which is probably not intended. Unfortunately, it also slows down your first line, which some people will hate. I'm not too fond of overlong first lines myself, to be truthful. So I'll amend my statement to say it probably wouldn't hurt more than it helps

sholar
Member # 3280

wbriggs- I guess I am a little unsure what your comment is. When I wrote from Kieran's perspective, I was trying to view the servants the same as he would- kinda like walking talking furniture.
Thanks again for everyone's comments and suggestions.

Survivor
Member # 213

By the way, you should pay special attention to the impression I got of Kieran from your opening, because I was completely misled. I know I mentioned this as a minor point in my comments on the story, but for purposes of Frag and Feed you need to realize it's a major point.

If everyone here wrote down their ideas about the character you're developing in this opening, I doubt any of them will come anywhere near the character from the story. wbriggs specific objections fall before the "he's been raised to be a king" card, but the character portrayal in this opening does need to be overhauled.

Don't give anything else away till you've reworked the opening. See if you can create a more accurate impression of Kieran's character just with 13 lines. Those who haven't read the story yet are your...um, well, test subjects

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the main thing was that I wanted to know what MC *is* caring about. But about his dismissive attitude: I think it's an interesting trait, but I didn't get that this was what was happening.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Be patient, wait for the next version of the opening
sholar
Member # 3280

Unfortunately, I am ridiculously slow so it might be a while. I need to win the lotto so I can have more free time.
Survivor
Member # 213

Tsk tsk tsk. That won't give you more free time. Only more leisure. But no pressure, it's actually better to let everyone come to your next opening fresh.
sholar
Member # 3280

Kieran Ragaer stood silently, staring into the mirror. His dark hair, his dark eyes, his slight build, they all contrasted with his father’s perfect golden looks and in his father’s robes, he felt an imposter. He snapped at an attendant trying to adjust the robes. A servant had no right to imply he didn’t look proper. After today, he would be their king. He sighed as he thought of all the pretty barmaids that he would never have a chance to bed. A king could hardly go out carousing. His father had never approved of him spending any time at pubs, and that was when he was just a prince. Of course, his father had approved of very little he did. From the time he could talk, he and his father had fought over everything. He didn’t understand why tears were coming to his eyes.

Ok- let's see if this is any better. On top of the normal first 13 questions, what impression do you have of Kieran from this?
The story has grown about a page, so 4850 words now. So, if anyone willing to crit it, that'd be great. And if anyone who crited it before is willing to read again, I'd be interested in knowing about my changes to Kaie's part- better or worse. Thanks!

Woodie
Member # 3346

- posted      Profile for Woodie   Email Woodie         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Kieran better in the first one--as in he was a more likeable character. I'm a little conflicted as to his personality--is he arrogant with a touch of insecurity, or is he humble trying to act tough?
Posts: 88 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
As openings go, it's trite to have the character look into a mirror merely to cough up a physical description. I suggest ditching the entire mirror thing. My first reaction is "Gechhh." You'd be much better to convey his physical appearance via dialog with the servants and his internal thoughts.... Perhaps the servants primp him and coo over him, and he thinks "if only you knew..."

My impression is your first draft is better. I WOULD like you to SHOW us the dialog of him snapping at the servants, not merely tell us that he did it. I think it would convey his emotions more accurately.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, since he does have a character reason to think about his appearance, I don't have a problem with the idea. But the prose is a little awkward out of the gate. Your first line is kinda a mess right now. I liked the other first line. It would also serve as an excellent segue into his insecurity about his appearance.

Kieran Ragaer stood silently [watching] his attendants [in the mirror as they] adjusted his hair yet again. He snapped at them [when] they moved to adjust the robes. [The problem wasn't] his silk and velvet robes[,] already perfectly in place.

Then you can move into the comparison contrast of his own image against the measure of his father, touching on the similarities (the robes, which are perfect) to highlight the differences (the man wearing those robes, who is not perfect).

Don't worry too much about loading information into your actual first thirteen. You only have time to give us impressions of the character, there isn't space for establishing solid details without sacrificing necessary situational awareness. Instead of a longer digression about pretty barmaids and so forth, just throw describe him in a way that hints at it.

"At least he wasn't hung over today." Tells us both that he is close to looking hung over and that he usually would be in the morning. Or rather, it only hints at both.

As for the snapping...I sort of got the impression that he doesn't say anthing worth two paragraph breaks and a line. I didn't even get the impression of him saying an actual, easily translatable word. In my mind, he just sort of goes...well, I'll say "nyet", but that's not really it.

If you're ready for another crit, I'll give it a try.

mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, I would not mind looking at it again either.

Send it when ready.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

Kieran Ragaer stood silently as his attendants adjusted his hair yet again. He snapped at them when they moved to adjust the robes. The silk and velvet robes were not a problem. They were perfectly in place. His dark hair, his dark eyes, his slight build, they all contrasted with his father’s perfect golden looks and in his father’s robes, he looked an imposter. Well, at least he wasn’t hung over today. Part of him kept expecting his father to show up and remind him of the millions of things he was doing wrong. He knew his father was dead but the expectation was still there. Kieran refused to shame himself by crying. The great Aidan Ragaer, king of all Ciel, was dead and that was that. Time to be strong.

ok- here's a bit more fiddling with it.

sholar
Member # 3280

Survivor, mommiller- Thanks!! You guys are awesome!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.