Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Identity

Author Topic: Identity
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to decide whether to write this piece in 1st or 3rd limited single pov... I have never written in 1st before but in some ways it seems more appropriate for this piece. Because I have no experience with first person I'd really appreciate your opinions/advice, here is my stab at first person writing. Enjoy.

quote:
I awoke with a start. My first thought was, Ouch! As scorching bright sunlight burned my retinas. I closed my eyes fast and tried to sit up. I could barely move. Immediately pain shot along my neck and the back of my head burned. I tried to cry out but couldn't feel my tongue. I must have said something because when I opened my eyes again, squinting this time, I saw the face of a beautiful woman looking down on me. She smiled and mouthed something to her side, I couldn't hear anything, and then I noticed the large man dragging me along by my foot. He was as unfamiliar as the captivating woman, in his free hand was a smoking submachine gun.

I couldn't feel most of my body. I thought hard--tried to get my bearings--but I didn't have the faintest idea what was going on.

[This message has been edited by First Assistant (edited August 08, 2006).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omakase
Member # 2915

- posted      Profile for Omakase   Email Omakase         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you really absolutely positively need to start the story here you'd be much better starting it off somewhere else.

Opening a story with a person waking up is probably the most common mistake out there in terms of plotting. To say it is a cliche would be an understatement.

Posts: 179 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the last comment, maybe start off with his eyes opening to the glaring sun and maybe a fragmented memory of what happened..or an action sequence..
Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Well I happen to agree with both of you... except that it is absolutely imperative to teh story that the character initially has no memory. Given what I've worked out as his backstory he has just taken a wound to the back of the head. I have it so that he is recovering from unconsciousness.

I can change this and would be happy to have a better opening, except it still needs to fit the events that are happening around him and above all he must remember nothing.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
You can start from a different point -like when "they" get "him" to wherever it is they are dragging him - without losing the fact that he has no memory of what happened before he was dragged from a battlefield.

I think it would be more compelling to read if you started the narrative at the hospital that I assume he's being dragged to and show that he can't remember what happened by his response to the people around him and thier inevitable questions (What is your name? What unit are you from?).

Right now you are missing a lot of clarity from the writing. While you can say, well that's because he doesn't know what's happening that's not an excuse. For example, I thought this was more of caveman like setting because he's being dragged by his foot. As a result, the reference to the machine gun was jarring.

Also, who thinks of thier eyes as retinas?

There's nothing compelling me to read on. As to first person or third person, it depends on what happens. Other than the general warning that first person is a difficult POV to maintain and many people don't like it, I'm not sure anyone is qualified to answer that question based on what you've posted here.

I'd be willing to look at more if you want to try to respond to the 3rd person or 1st person question though.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Thanks falcon

quote:
I think it would be more compelling to read if you started the narrative at the hospital that I assume he's being dragged to and show that he can't remember what happened by his response to the people around him and thier inevitable questions (What is your name? What unit are you from?).

This is a great idea. I like it. I think I'll try a rewrite based somewhat on your suggestion and then repost it. Thanks.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.