Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Apprentice Heir- Fantasy (about 4900 words)

Author Topic: Apprentice Heir- Fantasy (about 4900 words)
JCarroll
Member # 8061

- posted      Profile for JCarroll   Email JCarroll         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one of two stories I've recently written that I'd like to gussy up for submission. I'd like people to read it all of it and give me some feedback, but comments on the first thirteen are also helpful and appreciated.

It's hard to get a job when you're a failed wizard's apprentice, I should know. Here's an excerpt from my last interview.
“Your resume says that you were pursuing a higher degree in Thayu...in Thawmu... how do you say this?”
“Thaumaturgy.”
“What is that exactly?”
“Magick.”
“Oh. Like pulling rabbits out of a hat and making people disappear?”
“No, like turning lead into gold and summoning demons.”
“I see. We'll call you when we make our decision.”
They never call and I stay at the Burger Shack where I worked during high school.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give it a go.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Young
Member # 8421

- posted      Profile for Tim Young   Email Tim Young         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sufficiently hooked. Can I read it?
Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi JCarrol,

The conversation is nice and promises humour. That probably works as a hook on its own, but I'm not visualising a scene or character.

It also shifts time (like a flashback) which can run the risk of losing a reader.

Is there any way of keeping the humor of the dialogue while placing it in a traditional scene? You can probably get awayout them given the promises you make to your readers in the dialogue, but I think it could be even stronger with some scene setting.

Regards,

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.