Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Exiles

Author Topic: Exiles
GeorgeManwell
Member # 8534

- posted      Profile for GeorgeManwell   Email GeorgeManwell         Edit/Delete Post 
In morning, grey lazy dawn, awakening to capture the bird's song,
In a vessel we float down impotent river, carving way through dirty
brown water. In the eyes of death, I dither, it rides a steed amongst the pastoral countryside,
asking bucolic hamlets for my name. The uniform hoof beats have now come into earshot.

Not much right now, too busy trying to come up with a plot. I just want to see if the style is spot on.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi George,

Welcome to Hatrack! This sort of writing can be pretty hard work compared to the preferred “invisible” style for most genre pieces. Personally I’d trim for clarity and give us a protagonist in the 1st 13. There are those who can be hooked by an impressionistic/poetic style, but it is a calculated risk. Of course, if you do this style extremely well, then some editors will take a chance, but it seems harder work than I’d prefer.

The essential information in this opening is that it’s just after dawn, the protagonist is in a boat and somehow, death is coming for him (whether figuratively or literally, we don’t know). This doesn’t hook me. If you gave some hint about the nature of the death that chases him or her, then I (personally) would have a better chance of being hooked.

In terms of rhythm and sound, I’d vary the wording of your opening three sentences (you start with “in” each time) and give us the articles (“the morning”, “an impotent river”) to make the writing invisible.

As always, just my opinion and others may vary.

Cheers,

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just want to see if the style is spot on.

What are you aiming for?

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GeorgeManwell
Member # 8534

- posted      Profile for GeorgeManwell   Email GeorgeManwell         Edit/Delete Post 
Poetic Imagery.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GeorgeManwell
Member # 8534

Any other critque? I would like some other opinions to mix in,
thanks Nick T for the time you took to critque it.

[This message has been edited by GeorgeManwell (edited April 24, 2009).]

Troy
Member # 2640

- posted      Profile for Troy   Email Troy         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm wondering why you're trying to come up with a plot for a poem. I take it this will be a kind of verse story? That's an interesting idea. When I was studying poetry, one thing that was often emphasized was specific, vivid, concrete detail. I don't see that here. "lazy dawn" "capture the bird's song" "impotent river" "in the eyes of death" -- none of these things are concrete; they're all pretty nebulous. They're conceptual. It's the kind of thing that may work for some, but really doesn't work for me. To me, it all feels very vague, and it's missing what I look for, both in poetry and in fiction -- which is the sense of being present in a specific, vivid time and place.
Posts: 214 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.