Hatrack River Writers Workshop
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been transferred to this forum: Fragments and Feedback for Novels.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » intro chapter and synopsis

Author Topic: intro chapter and synopsis
adamatom
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for adamatom   Email adamatom         Edit/Delete Post 
Sam Boulder entertained no fantasies about a comeback. Other people, however, longed for him to return to the ring. Lots of people.

The retired champion was in the back of his bar when he heard a noise. He looked up at the security monitor.

In front of the counter stood a man in a trenchcoat. On the counter sat an open briefcase full of cash. Next to the briefcase lay a piece of paper and a pen.

"I've had enough of these guys," he growled under his breath as he bolted to the front of the bar.

"The answer is no," Sam declared without inquiring about identity or details.

"You haven't even read the contract," the boxing promoter said,

Looking for feedback about the intro chapter and the synopsis.

Carl Slaughter
moreheadalumni @ yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by adamatom (edited November 03, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 04, 2009).]

Posts: 135 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi new guy. Boy are you in trouble you are breaking all the rules

Well we have a limit on the amount of text we can post...13 lines it is the law of the land.

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum6/HTML/000001.html

this link will get you started, but there is alot you should read before you decide to post. In the read here first section of the forum.

Also this, I take, is a novel and would go in the Fragments and Feedback for Novels section. This place here is for short stories.

But welcome aboard see you around. You might as well go back and edit your post before the Sheriff KDW comes along and strings you up. Well, she might not string you up, she is gettin mighty benevolent in her old age

I am going to go hid now!

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it is in the wrong spot and too long but we'll give you a break and KDW will fix it soon enough. Let's see what you have here.

quote:
Sam Boulder entertained no fantasies about a comeback. Other people, however, longed for him to return to the ring. Lots of people.
The retired champion was in the back of his bar when he heard a noise. He looked up at the security monitor.

Wrong spot to start, IMO. The first paragraph is a too telling. The two paragraphs should be blended and the info in the first paragraph should be worked in more subtly. Also

when he heard a noise.

Needs more detail. What was the noise he heard? Door slamming? Briefcase opening? Gunshot to get the owners attention?

quote:
In front of the counter stood a man in a trenchcoat. On the counter sat an open briefcase full of cash. Next to the briefcase lay a piece of paper and a pen.

Okay but consider a reworking and rearranging. Something like...

A man in a trenchcoat stood with an open briefcase full of twenties and a piece of paper and pen sitting next to it on the surface of the bar.

The rest is fine but I stress again teh info-dumpish opening should go and be worked in as the story progresses.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I see that you've already posted this story opening in the F&F for novels area.

So I'll just close this instead of moving it.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 04, 2009).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.