Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » stargate

Author Topic: stargate
adamatom
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for adamatom   Email adamatom         Edit/Delete Post 
Walk in as though it were an ordinary travel bureau, the stranger I'd met at a bar had told me. Ask a few ordinary questions—about a trip you're planning, a vacation, anything like that. Then hint about the folder a little, but whatever you do, don't mention it directly; wait till he brings it up himself. And if he doesn't, you might as well forget it. If you can. Because you'll never see it; you're not the type, that's all. And if you ask about it, he'll just look at you as though he doesn't know what you're talking about.

I rehearsed it all in my mind, over and over, but what seems possible at night over a beer isn't easy to believe on a raw, rainy day, and I felt like a fool, searching the store fronts for the street number I'd memorized. It was noon hour, West

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 21, 2009).]

Posts: 135 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it. The first couple of sentences almost put me off and were a little disorienting. I think it would work better putting the directions after a sentence or two, but other than that I thought it was interesting and would keep reading.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architectus
Member # 8809

- posted      Profile for Architectus   Email Architectus         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a good hook.

I would recommend flipping around the first sentence.

"noon hour" is the same as "noon," so no need to be wordy.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Very good except that first line is confusing

Too many things in the clause

Perhaps shorten it - we aren't going to see the the stranger again, right?

Walk in as though it were an ordinary travel bureau, the stranger at the bar told me.

or make it two sentences

Walk in as though it were an ordinary travel bureau. That's what the stranger at the bar told me after our fourth beer together.

They're drunk or what? It might help to give a hint why the stranger's passing on this marvelous secret.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited November 22, 2009).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamatom
Member # 8840

Yes, I see. Two men at a bar. One is drunk and reveals something he wouldn't if he were sober. The other wonders about the story, since it came from a drunk stranger. He feels like a fool for investigating, but because he's so unsatisfied with his life, he's willing to take the risk. "My life is going nowhere, so I'm willing to try this." Sounds like a another cliche.
Posts: 135 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamatom
Member # 8840

"It's no ordinary travel agency," the stranger at the bar told me, "but you better act like it is. At least at first." He had a little too much to drink, so I was skeptical. I felt like a fool for going to the address he gave me. But I was so unsatisfied with my life, I was willing to take the risk. "Ask the usual travel questions," he advised me. "then hint about The Folder. Emphasize how unhappy you are. See if he takes the bait." Emphasize how unhappy I was. That would be the easy part.

[This message has been edited by adamatom (edited November 22, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by adamatom (edited November 22, 2009).]

arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't as cliched as the waking up. For some reason waking up hits a nerve on lots of people.

Actually - my opinion - you had it better in the original version except for the first sentence.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lionhunter
Member # 8766

- posted      Profile for Lionhunter   Email Lionhunter         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the 1st version,although the beginning is a tad confusing.
Nevertheless, i'd read on.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.