Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG - 4/8 - 4/14

Author Topic: NSG - 4/8 - 4/14
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Since no one else did, I'll start the topic.

quote:
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Feel free to update the NSG Work in Progress thread with your current projects. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

• What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
  • Describe what you worked on.
  • Set goals for next week.
  • Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

• Writing on a novel
  • Characterization
  • World Building
  • Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

As for myself:

Last Week's Goals:

On the Shelf:
THE SHAMAN'S CURSE
THE IGNORED PROPHECY

DREAMER'S ROSE: Nothing this week.
Easy goal.

MAGE STORM: Work on the query and synopsis some more.
Synopsis yes, query no.

SEVEN STARS: Let it rest.
Another easy goal.

BLOOD WILL TELL: Keep working through the revisions. Get through Chapter 12.
I'm currently in the middle of Chapter 13.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Yes.

Next Week's Goals:

On the Shelf:
THE SHAMAN'S CURSE
THE IGNORED PROPHECY

I'm jotting down ideas of how these two might be changed.

DREAMER'S ROSE:
Nothing for this month.

MAGE STORM:
Work on the query some more.

SEVEN STARS:
Let it rest.

BLOOD WILL TELL: Keep working through the revisions. Let's make this week's goal chapter 18.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.

ETA: And find some time to work on edits for "The Bard's Gift" and resubmit it somewhere and try to cut about 800 words from "Heart of Oak" so I can submit it to Strange Horizons. (Not too many markets for a story that's almost 10,000 words).

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited April 09, 2011).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, sorry, Meredith. I totally forgot. I was (and am right now, actually) at David Farland's "Write That Novel" seminar.

This week I did not do as much brainstorming as I would have liked. My wife was helping with a school play so I had to stay home one of my Writing Days to watch the kids. I'm happy with what I developed this week though.

Hopefully next week will be better after I try to absorb what I'm learning today.

-- William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll have to tell us all about the seminar when you get back, then! Lucky.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmilyS
Member # 9447

- posted      Profile for EmilyS   Email EmilyS         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Week:

THE NULL PROPHET: Let it rest.
Easy goal I also started an exchange with Axe that's going well.

MINDWALKER: Continue worldbuilding, and work on the new plot outline.
It's not as detailed as I had hoped, but I got to the point where I needed to write something to figure out what would fit best with the end. So, I also wrote the first 1,000 words of draft Slow going, but it feels good to be drafting again.

Next Week:

THE NULL PROPHET: Let it rest, and continue with exchange. Read the feedback without letting myself get caught up in the story again.

MINDWALKER: Write My goal is 5,000 words this week, since it's likely I'll have to continue filling in some gaps in the worldbuilding. Extra points if I hit 1,000 words/day.

Posts: 125 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
I submitted a new synopsis, single sentence pitch, and the first five chapters of THE KABBALIST: THE FOUNDATION OF THE KINGDOM to Angry Robot Books by their March 31st open submissions deadline.

As I noted elsewhere, AR requires a manuscript format that differs far from the standard. Although this submission took time away from a few new stories I am writing, I was pleased with the submission, and I rationalized I could return to these stories as of April 1st.

...then I thought, "but what would I do in the unlikely event AR asks for the entire manuscript?"

Oy!

So now I'm rereading and reformatting the entire manuscript per AR's submission guidelines, when my desire is to move on to something new, including a prequel short story in the same setting as THE KABBALIST.

This one has mummies.

Respectfully,
History

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Week:

New Arbor Day: Edited probably 15 of 45, but I was tired. Work's been busy, but when you're a sole proprietor that's gotta take precedence.

Evangeline: Nine pages? I think I might have hit that. And it was really good work I think, the title character Evangeline just became empress after her brother was assasinated told two time lines her present one during her coronation and the other flashing back to the day of the assasination.

Query letters: Wrote a page, but didn't send it out because I started to think more about self-publishing/epublishing for better turn around time. I still have some editing work before New Arbor day is 'finished' enough for self-pub so I'll send some out before then.

This Week:

New Arbor Day: 45 pages of edit.

Evangeline: 10 pages of new stuff. Specifically 'mundane' life settling details of her and the Guardian and all the politicians in world.

Query Letters: Get two out before the end of the week!

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Taking a brief novel break while I work on a short story that popped into my head.

Should be a short break tho. After all, it's a short story.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ostarahollyoak
Member # 9479

- posted      Profile for ostarahollyoak   Email ostarahollyoak         Edit/Delete Post 
New here, so I'll only post goals for the coming week:

HUDSON VALLEY SCHOOL (a fantasy novel):
-Finish draft of 2nd half of chapter, "Briar's Day" (working title)
-Refine and nail down the motivations and methods of my villains.

Modest goals, as we'll be travelling. (We have fairly young children.)

This seems like a nice forum for novelists-- great format.

-Ostara Hollyoak

Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Ostara,

It is pretty useful. I get help with all sorts of things. Don't forget to look up the NSG Work in Progress thread to let others know about your story and see what others are about.

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.