Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Nano Support Group part 2 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Nano Support Group part 2
gobi13x
Member # 6837

- posted      Profile for gobi13x   Email gobi13x         Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad that I looked on the forum, because I had forgotten to use the validator. While the best part is doing the story, it is still nice to gain the rewards along with it.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Ta Dah! 51393 words, according to my count (more like 51460 according to Nano's, but hey, whatever!)

It's a big 'ol pile of junk right now, but I am amazed once again at my ability to actually pull together threads I had lain earlier in the story, things I had even forgotten about (in spite of my best attempts with documents to track character names and plot points.) I have again learned a lot this time. Mostly about the value of outlining, which I only appreciate here on this side of having written 50k without having outlined and feeling like half the words were enormously hard to write because I didn't know where I was going.

But more importantly, I have renewed energy and attention for my last year's Nano project. Can't wait to dust it off in December and start editing! I took a look at the first 25 pages (single-spaced, so probably the first 12k words or so) and it's really not that awful. I hope to be querying on that one (Nano 07) by early next year, wish me luck!

For those who haven't finished - keep it up, you can do it! I found that once I hit a downslope with the climax, I was able to really churn out words - I hit something like 2k in 35 mins or something crazy like that. For those who have finished and won - congratulations! Not sure about you, but I think I might be able to do anything right now.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats KayTi! and Gobi!

And to everyone else as well! I too, feel like I could conquer the earth!

I was wondering if we should start a Hatrack Nano Finishing group? Might help keep us on track to shore up those rickety bits and actually finish these puppies.

What do you think?

Leslie

[This message has been edited by LAJD (edited November 30, 2008).]

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjsampson
Member # 8075

- posted      Profile for sjsampson   Email sjsampson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Finished. I am going to have to completely rewrite it and it does not have an ending, but I can do anything!

Congrats to everyone!

I might be interested in a Finishing group - although it would be more of a redo for me.

Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to do a finishing group. I think my first Nano novel and my second one might just possible actually need to be one book with two story lines, but I'm not sure. They might not meet in enough places, but they both end at the same moment--the one where my next novel starts!
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I validated past the 50,000 word mark! The story is a mess and in need of a rewrite if I wanted to finish it up; however, I wrote every chapter planned in my rough outline. I can't believe I wrote more than 90 pages in a week. A month ago I didn't believe that was possible.

Congratulations to every Winner, as well as to those with lower word counts who continued to progress and learn through the NaNo experience!

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

Congrats everyone!
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Post Nano Survey?
Have you worked on your novel post-nano?, Opened the file?

Did you make any goals? Have you stuck to them?

I was so thrilled after Nano that I made all these aggressive goals and got all excited for about a week. Then I closed the files and have not opened anything having to do with my novel since. I have completed a couple of shorts and a flash, sent in my WoTF entry and a short. Done a whole lot of critting and rework of existing work, but every time my cursor hovers over that file, I freeze.

My suspicion, is that it is such a big mess that I am afraid to see how bad it is. You know its only bad if I open and look at it, right?

I am posting this to make a public goal that I will complete a review of the mess- with comments and todo list before the end of January.

There!
Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

I haven't looked at it, but I still have the goal to work on my last year (2007) Nano project to get it out to market. It's in much better shape.

I always need to let big stuff like this sit for a while, so I don't mind that I haven't touched the darn thing. It works better for me to let it lie and then look at it in a few months.

Unwritten
Member # 7960

I just started looking at it--and it's better than I thought, but I had forgotten how often I wrote notes like
"And right here would be a scene showing Kyra's personality". I still have a lot of work to do.

A to-do list is a great idea--maybe it wouldn't seem so overwhelming.

Melanie

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You know its only bad if I open and look at it, right?

Nope, I'm sure mine's a mess, which is a big part of why I haven't opened my NaNoWriMo project file since November 30.

I figure I'll wait for March, when I can participate in a support group. Did you know about National Novel Editing Month (NaNoEdMo)? I don't remember how I heard about it.

www.nanoedmo.net

[This message has been edited by aspirit (edited January 12, 2009).]

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjsampson
Member # 8075

- posted      Profile for sjsampson   Email sjsampson         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't touched my nano novel, but I started a short story in the same world. I'm not sure it's going to work as a short story, though. It keeps trying to grow and jump into my nano story.
Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You know its only bad if I open and look at it, right?

Sorry, but this made me chuckle. Whoda thunk that Schrodinger's Cat would appear in such a way in a writers workshop forum?

But it fits. It is so true. I have a novel buried somewhere that I wrote when I was still in high school (mumbldy-mumble years ago), and I am afraid to look at it whether it turns out to be bad or good. (If it's bad, it's embarrassing, if it's good, then maybe I haven't improved that much over the years after all. I just don't want to know.)

Courage, though, LAJD. I have faith that it won't be as bad as you fear it may be.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

aspirit--
my husband actually groaned when I mentioned Nanoedmo to him. That sounds pretty cool, although I'm still going to plow through until then.
Melanie

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.