Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotfCritique Group 2009 Q02 -- Early Submissions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: WotfCritique Group 2009 Q02 -- Early Submissions
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Should I stick my foot in that bear trap and send him something?

(If you're talking about this quarter, I am horribly flumoxed on my story, everything was going great, then...)

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
I overreacted, I know, sorry. I'd had a horrible couple of days before hand, it just seemed like rubbing salt in my open wounds.

Back to the purpose of this thread: Thanks for the critiques I've gotten so far, had some good ideas come from them. WriterDan, I'm working on your story now; should have it back to you in a couple of days.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
hey PJ,

I am working on the final touches of my crit to Writer Dan. If you need someone to un-flumox you, send what you got and maybe I can offer some advice.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Double that comment, PJ. I'd be more than happy to shoot a few ideas your way.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
Deadlines for this quarter's crits are as follows:

December 1st: Start writing
January 21st: First drafts out for crits
February 14th: Second drafts out for crits
March 7th: Mail-in final drafts for Q02

Anybody going to make that second draft date? I could, if I pushed it.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Nope. Wish I could. Might be until the end of the month until I can. Been doing lots of extra hours at school after dinner to get the first draft of my dissertation out. Probably about 50% done with what I can currently write about. Ugh. I wish this thing could just be done with.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

I have a rewrite done. Completely redid the middle.

If anyone is interested, or has the time, let me know and I'll send it to you.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Any time, snapper.
darklight
Member # 5213

Send it my way snapper, happy to take another look.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you send it to me? I'm currently looking at Icared's but I'll get to yours if you send it.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Send it along.
Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read, snapper.
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

So, I haven't even freaking finished my next draft of this quarter's story, and over the last hour or so my mind's been going overdrive on a new story idea. Pretty much just wrapped it up. Think it'll be on the docket for next quarter. I'm actually pretty impressed with the idea. Was watching Click on the tube (Adam Sandler) and the main idea stuck in my head. Can't even remember now what sparked it though. Odd how things like that work out sometimes.

How's things going for everyone? School's been killing me (8am - 5pm and then 9pm to 11pm every day) so I've been really slow on my rewrite and on a few of the critiques that I owe people. Sorry for that. Will do my best to get them out this week. Hope everything's well. Write, write write!!!

Later.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

I have a goal to be done drafting this quarter's story by this Friday. I'll try to send it out by then for crits. Anyone else in the group need a crit from me? I'll do my best to get any back quickly.

Also... DEADLINE RAPIDLY APPROACHING!!!!!!

So, today is the 11th, and the official deadline for the quarter is only 20 days away. Time to polish and buff. Time to kick it into high gear.

Happy writing.

Patrick James
Member # 7847

Well, I finally finished my first draft.

Never tried comedy before (though some have thought my works comedy till I told them they weren't) and I am somewhat disappointed in myself.

Oh, well. I don't expect my first to be great, anybody who wants to read it--that I haven't already sent it to--holla.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Finally got the draft of my story finished. Sent it out. If anyone didn't get it that wants a go at it, let me know and I'll send it your way. Thanks everyone.
Patrick James
Member # 7847

I have sent everybody back a critted story to everyone that sent me a story right?

WriterDan
Member # 6456

It's official.

ONE WEEK TO GO!

Just thought a gentle reminder would be helpful.

Luck everyone.

Patrick James
Member # 7847

If you haven't sent it, you'd better.

Good luck everyone.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Well, I failed in getting my story finished on time.

Humph.

But on the the bright side of things, I'm not getting kicked out of school without a degree. Yay!

So, I guess that means things are pretty okay. We'll see what happens next quarter. Luck to everyone that got theirs off.

Patrick James
Member # 7847

Thanks. I'll need all the luck I can get this quarter and good luck to you on next quarter, Dan.
darklight
Member # 5213

Just got confirmation that they got my story. I'm a lot happier now, since I sent it off so late, knowing its gotten put into the right quarter.

I like how they treat you as a person, and not just a number and not worth bothering with. They way their e-mails actually have you name in them and with the title of the story, it shows that they take time and care about their contestants. A lot of other contests wouldn't be as personal, if at all.

snapper
Member # 7299

...like the heinlein contest. It's been ten months and I don't believe anyone has heard a thing about it.

Hats off to Joni, such a sweet lady.

KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper, the Heinlein contest posted something just a few weeks ago that they're still judging. Hope the results are in soon, I really want that story back (or have it win, LOL, I'm not picky) because I want to get it out again, it's among my best, IMHO.
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Has anyone seen the latest entry on the WOTF blog?

It says they are experiencing the largest quater (number wise) in living memory. Only, I'm not sure which quarter she means, this one, or the next (Q3).

Either way, I wonder how well that bodes for us. I would think that if we get a HM or higher, it's pretty good. What do you think?

Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that too. Darn economic down-turn giving people more time to write :-)

I'm guessing she means the 2nd quarter (January-March).

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Yeah. That'd be my guess too. Now I'm really feeling crappy that I didn't get my submission in before the deadline. Dumb school. Dumb flu.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

So has anyone been hearing back about their submissions from Q02 (Deadline Mar 31st)? I don't expect to see announcements about Finalists for another 3-4 weeks, but HMs are possible. Anything?
snapper
Member # 7299

Not yet. The winners haven't even been mentioned for Q1 yet.

Brad T (a hatracker that we rarely hear from) was named a finalist. In his blog he says it has been 9 weeks since he was informed and hasn't heard a thing yet. WotF's blog hasn't been updated since april 24th. Maybe they're all out looking for jobs?

darklight
Member # 5213

First set of Honorable Mentions are up. No familiar names there. Any one heard anything?
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
http://wotfblog.galaxypress.com/

Results out today.

Although I didn't participate with you guys last quarter, I did get an HM (Kenneth Cassell, UT). My first attempt.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited June 22, 2009).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Just seen I've gotten an HM for my Full Moon story. I'd whoop with excitment but its too early in the morning. No, I'm really pleased about it. And congrats to all the other Hatrackers that got one too.
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Grats to all! Especially the first timers!

~Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Congratulations, everyone!

Another quarter is gone and now we're on to the next. Let's make it even better.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.