Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » First 13, untitled

Author Topic: First 13, untitled
Ti3m
Member # 3566

- posted      Profile for Ti3m   Email Ti3m         Edit/Delete Post 
“The pack of wolves that attacked us was large in number. Though I didn’t know it at that heartbeat, two separate wolf packs had weakened, both having lost numerous of their companions, and had joined together to form one large, strong, and voracious pack.
This large hoard needed much meat to support itself and so looked for sources they gauged to be weaker than themselves. Predators, including, the most capable predators, men, were not outside the boundary of their combined resources.
We heard talk of this at the caribou hunt, for there had been a few attacks prior to this. They had killed a few of our people and in doing so our people had defended themselves and killed several of them."

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited March 18, 2007).]

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alye
Member # 5017

- posted      Profile for Alye   Email Alye         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a narration of a past event... I assume so, but who is the narrator, a bard, a hunter, a farmer or an average Joe?

Is this one paragraph? It seems broken up into several but the Quotes don't match up.

I think you should have some responses from his listeners. I would like a question to move the telling, and not a long narrative.

I imagine:

~~~The old man was sitting on the stump. Several little ones crowed in close. The older children spread out not wanting to look too interested, but not wanting to miss a word of the story.

Taking a long puff on his pipe he began to relate his tail. "The pack of wolves ...........”~~~

Posts: 126 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
My moment-by-moment reactions. Suggested deletions are in [brackets], as are comments.

The pack of wolves that attacked us was large [in number]. Though I didn’t know it at THE TIME, two separate wolf packs had weakened, [how would anybody know this, even later?] both having lost MANY of their companions, and had joined together to form one large, strong, and voracious pack. [Why would they do that? It would be wise if they wanted to take down a mastadon, but if food is scarce...no, you didn't say food was scarce. Hm.]

This large PACK needed much meat to support itself and so looked for sources they gauged to be weaker than themselves. [Which they always do. But why doesn't the pack split up] Predators, including[,] the most capable predators, men, were not outside the boundary of their combined resources. [Most predators don't like to eat other predators. Partly the taste, and also availability.]

>...

This however, was their boldest ambush yet."

--

I'm having a hard time believing in the mega-pack, and in them going after human beings for food except in very odd circumstances.

I'm not hooked, partly because of that, but also because it's all summary about the wolf pack. I don't even know who the narrator is, or if he or she is in danger.

The potential hook is in that last line, and I do like that.

I suggest you vastly reduce the text you've got here, something like

quote:
There had been more and more wolf attacks on human beings in the area, and Main Character, a sheep herder with two teenage sons to help him, was getting worried.
...then get straight into in-the-moment action.

If it happens that Main Character does learn how the mega-pack formed, we can find out when he finds out.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with other comments. Who is talking? What is the setting? The last two sentences are the most interesting; I want to know more about why I should care about the narrator and his people.

These wolves don’t sound very believable (of course, I base my knowledge on nature shows); if they are “dire” wolves or some such, but the narrator doesn’t know it yet, give us a hint that the narrator realizes something is really wrong with their behavior.

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Because I do it myself, I notice some really extraordinarily long sentences in there. Too many commas, and some missing. Perhaps breaking into smaller sentences would work?

Additionally, I believe the word is "horde" when there are lots of them. "Hoard" is to hold close, keep to yourself. My 3 year old is a hoarder. Give her a few candies and she'll still have them in her grubby little fist an hour later. My 5 year old will have inhaled his in the first 13 seconds. Anyway, this is one of those annoying words that will not come up on spellcheck because hoard is a correct spelling, but the wrong word I think.

I think this next point is just a style choice; the pack that attacked us was large in number seems redundant. Large, or numerous. Seems repetitive to say large in number, though I know that's a figure of speech.

I agree with other posters that I'm not quite hooked yet. So far it seems a little bit ..er.. national geographic? Nothing wrong with it if that's the direction you're headed. But to me, it seemed just a little dry.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck with this!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I know a bit about wolves. I don't know if you realize it, but a wolf pack will not only disown a pack member that kills a human, but -- chances are -- will hunt them down and kill them.

You never told us -- in the story or comments before the story -- what genre the story is. If they are inhabited by alien leeches, or are otherwise different from normal wolves, than this should be introduced earlier. It might even help with the hook.

I agree that your POV character lacks definition. This is especially obvious in that there is no tag for your quotations.

• Who's telling the tale?
  • Who is the narrarator telling it to?
  • Why is it being told?
  • Why do we care?

]

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited March 20, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  • thecox
    Member # 4713

- posted      Profile for thecox   Email thecox         Edit/Delete Post 
    Even with all these suggestions, I think this portion might need to be rewritten, centered around the main character observing this hunt or else participating in it. More and more, I see similar problems with most of thirteen line beginnings posted in this forum:

The reader needs immediate action to keep them interested. Not just mindless action either, action with characters being defined through their temperaments and reactions. The truth is, even if the story focuses on the main character, the MC doesn't always think they have flaws. Most people in reality find it difficult to admit their own shortcomings.

That's why you have to demonstrate a character and paint a picture of their personality through their actions. Good luck!

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
    Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.