Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Query Help

Author Topic: Query Help
BrigidMaryKemm
Member # 6138

- posted      Profile for BrigidMaryKemm   Email BrigidMaryKemm         Edit/Delete Post 
Since my friend was ballsy enough to post her query here, I decided to step up to the plate and do the same thing. I have submitted this to EE as well, and am waiting with chewed fingernails for the slashing over there, but you guys always have a lot of good ideas. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

---

After a good deed turns into a near fatal mistake, marathoner Rebecca Hanson discovers four vampire brothers living in a quiet Baltimore suburb. Far from undead, these living creatures thrive on contact with humans, and can sense and manipulate emotion through touch. Willing to protect their secret, she finds a budding romance with Christopher, the youngest of the four. As their relationship deepens, Rebecca learns that she is one of few humans who can mentally link with the vampires and temporarily share their abilities—their strength, their rapid healing, and their ability to control feeling—without their drive for blood.

But Christopher and his brothers have fallen under attack from a new, more powerful vampire with a hidden goal. As the threats to his brothers prove progressively more deadly, Christopher is forced to abandon his relationship to protect his family. Hurt and bewildered by his sudden rejection, Rebecca seeks and finds friendship with her new running partner, the ever charming Gareth.

When her trusted friend reveals himself to be the terrifying new vampire, Rebecca must fight for her life and the brothers’ survival with everything she has—including her new ability. But when Gareth tells her his real reasons for coming to Baltimore, she must make some serious decisions about who really needs help, who can be trusted, and who the true villain is.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting some revenge on EE by trying to emulate him:

After a good deed turns into a near fatal mistake, marathoner Rebecca Hanson discovers four vampire brothers living in a quiet Baltimore [God, not Baltimore, again] suburb. Far from undead, these living creatures thrive on contact with humans [not to mention sucking them dry of blood], and can sense and manipulate emotion through touch. Willing to protect their secret, she finds a budding romance with Christopher, the youngest of the four. As their relationship deepens, Rebecca learns that she is one of few humans who can mentally link with the vampires [that's convenient] and temporarily share their abilities—their strength, their rapid healing, and their ability to control feeling—without their drive for blood.

But Christopher and his brothers have fallen under attack from a new, more powerful vampire [weredingoes are scarier] with a hidden goal [purpose]. As the threats to his brothers prove progressively more deadly, Christopher is forced to abandon his relationship to protect his family. Hurt and bewildered by his sudden rejection, Rebecca seeks and finds friendship with her new running partner, the ever[-]charming Gareth. [How do we know he is always charming if we've just met him?]

When her trusted friend [Gareth] reveals himself to be the terrifying new vampire, Rebecca must fight for her life and the brothers’ survival with everything she has—including her new ability [Why? Couldn't she just go to Cleveland instead of protecting bloodsuckers?]. But when Gareth tells her his real reasons for coming to Baltimore, she must make some serious decisions about who really needs help, who can be trusted, and who the true villain is.

This is pretty good query, I think. Good luck with it.

[This message has been edited by WouldBe (edited September 09, 2007).]

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree-- It's short, simple, but clear, and you get the story down to its bones. If I were an editor, I'd be interested.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited September 09, 2007).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrigidMaryKemm
Member # 6138

- posted      Profile for BrigidMaryKemm   Email BrigidMaryKemm         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you both for your feedback!!

But...what's wrong with Baltimore, WB? I mean, I like it here...

Posts: 9 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
But...what's wrong with Baltimore, WB? I mean, I like it here..

I was just doing the EE emulation bit. It seems like Baltimore shows up a lot in EE queries. (I've never set foot there.)

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good! I expected "abilities" not "ability" in the third paragraph.

"charming" is enough.

I think the last sentence is a great teaser -- it makes me want to know more. But wouldn't an editor want the summary to continue, to see where you are going?

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't tease in a query. There are some missing/ withheld bits of information that would put me off from reading/ requesting more of this story.

My take:

quote:

After a good deed turns into a near fatal mistake okay you have my interest but then lose it because you don't tell me what the good deed or the mistake are , marathoner Rebecca Hanson discovers four vampire brothers living in a quiet as opposed to a noisy suburb? Baltimore suburb.

Channelling EE -

Becca - "Humm, here I was walking my neighbor's dog and suddenly stumble across some blood suckers and thier victim."
Brother Christopher (poised over a soon to be corpse} - "Please don't tell on us."
Becca - "Ohhh, your hot.Can we date?"
Chris - "Ah, sure."

Okay, I'm sure your story makes this plausible but we are missing a peice for the query

Far from undead, these living creatures you just objectified them - how about "Contrary to the "undead" myths, the brothers"? thrive on contact with humans, and can sense and manipulate emotion whose? through touch. Willing to protect their secret why? , she finds a budding romance with Christopher, the youngest of the four. As their relationship deepens <-- delete this , Rebecca (learns that she) <-- delete this is one of few humans who can mentally link with the vampires and temporarily share their abilities—their strength, their rapid healing, and their ability to control feeling others emotions? or is this something else. As pointed out by someone else - this is handy —without their drive for blood.

But Christopher and his brothers have fallen under attack from a new, more powerful vampire with a hidden goal This is a query - tell me who this is and what his goal is even if your POV doesn't know it yet. As the threats to his brothers prove progressively more deadly umm, how? , Christopher is forced to abandon his relationship (with Rebecca) to protect his family how are these things related? . Hurt and bewildered by his sudden rejection, Rebecca seeks and finds friendship with her new running partner when did she get a new partner? , the ever charming Gareth.

When her trusted friend reveals himself to be the terrifying new vampire, cut to the chase - Rebecca learns that Gareth is the vampire threatening Chris and Rebecca must fight for her life why is Gareth threatening her? and the brothers’ survival with everything she has—including her new ability Ahm, what new ability? Dog whispering? . But when Gareth tells her his real reasons for coming to Baltimore which are? , she must make some serious decisions about who really needs help, who can be trusted, and who the true villain is.

The last line is nice but I'd like another that tells me how she resolves the conflict otherwise I wonder if she does. The difference between back copy and a query is an agent/publisher doesn't want suprises. Tell me what the threats are, what her choices are and you'll have a stronger query.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by kings_falcon (edited September 10, 2007).]

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.