Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Untitled Fantasy

Author Topic: Untitled Fantasy
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
Heyyo,

something new I have been working on. Looking for all comments and what not. As well, I have written about 8,000 words and am looking for readers for the first chapter, which I think I have more or less all cleaned up (600 words).
--------

The rancorous snarls of the Ratir pack echoed incessantly off the rock walls of the canyon Esan traveled. He had heard their haunting cries since the sun had gone down; it was enough to drive most men mad. There had been no hiding in the god forsaken Drylands, nowhere the Ratir pack wouldn’t sniff him out. He trudged forward through the darkness as he had for the last three days, his body fatigued and dehydrated, managing to stay ahead of his pursuers.

As daybreak approached and the night faded in the east, the Ratir’s howls grew more malice, more menacing. Their guttural voices rang through the empty canyon, a climax of abhorrent yowls and screams. The Pack would have to take refuge at dawn, crawling into rock clefts or crevasses until the deadly

[This message has been edited by Devnal (edited April 09, 2008).]

Im seem to be having technical difficulties working out my 13 I think my browser is pooched and its showing as less when its more. Please let me know/ edit if it is so

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited April 10, 2008).]

Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Devnal, I've edited it to what I see as 13 lines.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand your pain, Devnal. I use Safari as my main web browser at home, and for some reason 13 lines ends about two and a half lines early. At work, 13 lines is perfect (I use Opera at work). Anyways, now that Kathleen has us all straightened out, a few comments.

quote:
The rancorous snarls of the Ratir (1) pack echoed incessantly off the rock walls of the canyon Esan traveled. (2) He had heard their haunting cries since the sun had gone down (3); it was enough to drive most men mad. There had been no hiding in the god forsaken Drylands, nowhere the Ratir pack wouldn’t sniff him out. He trudged forward through the darkness as he had for the last three days, his body fatigued and dehydrated, managing to stay ahead of his pursuers.(4)

As daybreak approached and the night faded in the east, the Ratir’s howls grew more malice, more menacing. (5) Their guttural voices (6) rang through the empty canyon, a climax of abhorrent yowls and screams. The Pack would have to take refuge at dawn (7), crawling into rock clefts or crevasses until the deadly

1. Dunno if Ratir is a proper name, or the name of a species. I'm getting the idea that this is a pack of animals - were you Jack London writing this scene in Alaska at the turn of the century, you wouldn't capitalize wolves, I wouldn't think. Same goes for Ratir.

2. This wording is awkward, like you're missing a word here or something. Maybe "the wall of the canyon Esan travelled in..." I dunno, your call, but this sounds strange.

3. This sentence is passive, I believe. Anyways, you could improve it by losing had and rewording.

4. These Ratir must be pretty slow creatures, if they can't catch up to a fatigued and dehydrated person. Or, is he fighting them off when they get close?

5. Again, this is a wording issue. Maybe there's a word missing here, or it could just be reworded for clarity.

6. See, at first I'm picturing a wolf-like creature, or at least an animal predator of some kind. Now, you're giving them voices, which carried the connotation of speech. You've also capitalized Ratir, which makes me thing maybe that wasn't a mistake and these are a pack of specific people who go by the name of Ratir. I think a little clarification is in order.

7. Aaah, I see why they couldn't catch him. They pursue during the night but have to take refuge during the day, while Esan still pushed on ahead. Each night brings them a little closer each time, as Esan fatigues. Mi comprendo.

Um... if I was an editor I don't know that I would request more pages from you, but in this rough first thirteen I do see some promise. You've got a decent sense of setting and milieu, and the beginnings of some character development. A little more restraint and conservatism in how words are spent, and this could develop well. Keep working at it.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swordsman
Member # 8197

- posted      Profile for Swordsman   Email Swordsman         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it and was swept right in. Ratir being capitalized was fine but I would not capitalize the pack, pack is generic: wolf pack, dog pack, etc. I think the sentence 'had been hiding in the god forsaken Drylands' has a lot of meat on it. The Ratir are the first hook, the Drylands is the second. In my imagination the Ratir are rabid dogs and the Drylands is a desert; I would definitely keep reading to see what caused Esan to fall on hard times.

It's all a matter of style, and the only changes I would suggest are cutting a few words here and there and maybe slapping one nice choppy sentence in the middle of all those longer ones to break them up. This is your beginning, there's ALWAYS time to use more adjectives and turns of phrase later in the story, after the readers are enthralled and in it for the long haul. With your kind permission, because I don't like to mess with another writer's words, these are the cuts I'd make.

The snarls of the Ratir pack echoed off the rock walls of the canyon. Esan had heard their haunting cries since the sun had gone down, enough to drive most men mad. There had been no hiding in the god forsaken [I'd make godforsaken one word] Drylands, nowhere the Ratir pack wouldn’t sniff him out. He trudged forward through the darkness. He'd managed to stay ahead of his pursuers for the last three days, his body fatigued and dehydrated.

As daybreak approached and the night faded in the east, the Ratir’s howls grew in malice. Their guttural voices rang through the empty canyon, a climax of abhorrent yowls and screams. The Pack would have to take refuge at dawn, crawling into rock clefts or crevasses until the deadly . . .

Posts: 32 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brant Danay
Member # 8087

- posted      Profile for Brant Danay           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a problem with capitalizing Ratir. In my experience, god forsaken is most commonly written as god-forsaken, but I have seen godforsaken used as well.

"He trudged forward through the darkness as he had for the last three days"

This kind of reads to me like it's been dark for the entire three day duration of his trudging, but that might just be me.

"He trudged forward through the darkness as he had for the last three days, his body fatigued and dehydrated, managing to stay ahead of his pursuers."

This somehow doesn't ring right to me. I think something more like "He trudged forward through the darkness, traversing the Drylands as he had for the last three days, always managing to stay ahead of his pursuers. His body was fatigued and dehydrated(add something here)", or "Fatigued and dehydrated, he trudged forward through the darkness..." Just generic samples; you'll come up with something better if you choose to alter it.

"As daybreak approached and the night faded in the east, the Ratir’s howls grew more malice, more menacing."

The adjective form of malice is malicious, in case that's what you were going for.

Overall, very intriguing and well-written, with a lot of interesting concepts. Reminds me of some scenes from Dune and God Emperor of Dune in a way, kind of like a Fremen being pursued by D-Wolves while simultaneously attempting to avoid attracting sandworms. But I digress...

I'd be happy to check this out for you. Best regards,

Brant

[This message has been edited by Brant Danay (edited September 16, 2008).]

Posts: 176 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
sweetness,I haven't worked on this for quite sometime.

Thanks for the input - i've kind of left it on the shelf to give it some room to clear my mind. I've been focusing more on short story writing as of late (I wanted to actually finish something). I'll take these into consideratio when I go back to it!

Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helvorix
Member # 5651

- posted      Profile for Helvorix   Email Helvorix         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks pretty good, although I don’t really like the name “Ratir pack,” it makes me think of “Rat Pack” or some race of rat people; unless they are some race of rat people than nevermind.

-----------------------

The rancorous snarls of the Ratir pack echoed incessantly off the rock walls of the canyon Esan traveled. He had heard their haunting cries since the sun had gone down; it was enough to drive most men mad. There had been no hiding in the god forsaken Drylands, nowhere the Ratir pack wouldn’t sniff him out. He trudged forward through the darkness as he had for the last three days, his body fatigued and dehydrated, managing to stay ahead of his pursuers.

As daybreak approached and the night faded in the east, the Ratir’s howls grew more malice, more menacing. Their guttural voices rang through the empty canyon, a climax of abhorrent yowls and screams. The Pack would have to take refuge at dawn, crawling into rock clefts or crevasses until the deadly

-----------------------

I think you used way more space then you needed to describing how the Ratir pack sounds and not enough describing what they are. But those are just my thoughts I could be way off.

[This message has been edited by Helvorix (edited September 20, 2008).]

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.