Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » 2nd attempt at Black Agnes

Author Topic: 2nd attempt at Black Agnes
didee
Member # 8055

- posted      Profile for didee   Email didee         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I would try a complete change of first 13 and see if anyone one likes it any better than my first attempt. Thanks for all the help I have received so far.
----------------------------------------------------------
“You’re a fool Patrick Dunbar and I’m a bigger fool for thinking that our life will ever be any different. What need is there for you to be chasing after every Englishmen’s tail. Why is it you think that no skirmish can be won without you to aid it?”
Agnes’ black eyes demanded an answer. If her impassioned speech and hands on hips left any room for doubt, her flashing black eyes left none.
Patrick, Earl of Dunbar, master of Castle Dunbar, fierce defender of Scotland and champion in battle, stood before his wife deliberating the wisdom of platitudes. His wife had seen the battlefield and knew her way with a sword, he’d be a fool to take her lightly in her present state of righteous indignation.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tommose
Member # 8058

- posted      Profile for tommose   Email tommose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
“You’re a fool Patrick Dunbar and I’m a bigger fool for thinking that our life will ever be any different.Needs a comma or two (or maybe 2 sentences?) to provide a more natural cadence. What need is there for you to be chasing after every Englishmen’s s/b Englishman's tail You mean sexually?. Why is it you think that no skirmish can be won without you to aid it?”
Agnes’ black eyes demanded an answer. If her impassioned speech and hands on hips left any room for doubt, her flashing black eyes left none.
Patrick, Earl of Dunbar, master of Castle Dunbar, fierce defender of Scotland and champion in battle, stood before his wife deliberating the wisdom of platitudes. His wife had seen the battlefield and knew her way with a sword, and he’d be a fool to take her lightly in her present state of righteous indignation.

My only other criticism is that the dialog in the first paragraph feels a little forced. I can't explain it, but it's just my opinion. The use of the phrase "chasing after every Englishmen's (sic) tail" is uncomfortable, as "tail" in the current jargon implies a sexual pursuit. With that in mind, it seems like Patrick, in addition to having many other titles, is homosexual. I'm pretty certain this isn't your intent.

In all, though, it's nice. A few punctuation and grammatical notes, but it's nicely readable.

Tom

Posts: 60 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hinton
Member # 8053

- posted      Profile for hinton   Email hinton         Edit/Delete Post 
I sort of agree. I like it, and it is interesting, but starting with that conversation, or at that point in the conversation is a little too high on the scale for reading comfort. The word "Englishman" also seems out of place. I would suggest re-working the dialogue at the beginning. The body description in the second part is good, but also feels a bit forced. I think the effort is there, and the image you paint is solid, but it just seems so bold that it is too much too soon.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

I was taught a while back that a scene should not begin with a character quote.

I, of course, disagree with this belief, but I'm nevertheless mindful about not overusing that practice. In particular, I do not like to make such opening quotes longer than one quick-hitting sentence.

Agnes' opening sentence was a fairly good poke in the eye, but she unfortunately kept talking, which dilluted the impact; I had to read through three sentences before I could confirm she wasn't talking to herself in a mirror.

Since you've built this scene around verbal communication, my suggestion would be to alternate between quotes and narriative...one sentence at a time, I'm thinking.

Other than that, Agnes sounds like someone one should not mess with...which was plenty to catch my attention.

Success with this story!

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jericho
Member # 8073

- posted      Profile for Jericho   Email Jericho         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it. I might have a quibble with a word or two, but it felt like it was supposed to feel that way.

I took the "tail" line to mean he was a homosexual and had a wife and lived in a bit over dramatic world and all of that really kind of intrigued me.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
didee
Member # 8055

- posted      Profile for didee   Email didee         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks everyone, I really didn't have my brain in gear. I had no homosexual tendancies in mind at all when writing this, I meant chasing battles. They are Scots in 1337 who are frequently battling the English and Patrick is off to do battle once again leaving his wife to hold the fort quite literally. I had a different beginning in another thread and am not sure I am any happier with this one. I am loving writing their story but am struggling with an opening that will hook the reader, even though I have the rest of the chapter written(though it too needs reworking) I cannot get the opening lines to work for me
Posts: 10 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hinton
Member # 8053

- posted      Profile for hinton   Email hinton         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I would be happy to read the chapter for you if you would like any advice...
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tommose
Member # 8058

- posted      Profile for tommose   Email tommose         Edit/Delete Post 
Didee,

As I said earlier, I really like what you have, and would read on regardless.

That said, this is just a suggestion, an example of what I was trying to say, and how I would change it. As a free opinion, it's worth what was paid (nothing), so please feel free to disregard it, or to tell me to mind my own beeswax.

I split Agnes' rant into two paragraphs, introducing her in the first. Additionally, you noted her "black eyes" in subsequent sentences, so I changed one to just her "glare." I also took a few liberties with the dialog.

Other than that, I just split some sentences and took out a few unnecessary words.

Tom
--------
"You're a fool, Patrick Dunbar! D'ya think that you're the only man who can kill the English? D'ya need to be in every skirmish for it to be won?" Agnes' black eyes demanded an answer.

"Or am I the bigger fool, believing that our life will be any different?" If her impassioned speech and hands on hips left any room for doubt, her glare left none.

Patrick, Earl of Dunbar, master of Castle Dunbar, fierce defender of Scotland and champion in battle, stood before his wife deliberating the wisdom of platitudes. His wife had also seen the battlefield and knew her way with a sword. He truly would have to be a fool to take her lightly in her present state.

Posts: 60 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.