Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Untitled Sci-fi, WIP

Author Topic: Untitled Sci-fi, WIP
Ennis
Member # 8216

- posted      Profile for Ennis           Edit/Delete Post 
**Sorry Kathleen, I didn't realize the hard returns counted for a line. I removed those, so hopefully this fits in 13 now. :-)

This is the third complete overhaul of the prologue for an untitled sci-fi novel. Welcome any and all comments!

It was a simple thing, finding his wife. Introducing himself to her, that was a bit more thorny. Luc, two drinks in hand, rounded a corner in the colony's new gala room, and there she was. Gazing at one of the crude Daku sketches he had ordered hung to cover the unfinished walls. Crossing her arms rigidly against her body. She was a separate thing from the crowd around her. For a moment Luc stood in arrested motion. He ran his eyes down the length of her, measuring the reality against his dreams. She had made the political choice of wearing Daku silk, but it was awkward the way the stiff fabric swathed her bony frame. There was a warm tightness in the back of his throat. But what was the approach? He hadn't dreamt this, their first meeting.

[This message has been edited by Ennis (edited October 12, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited October 12, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by Ennis (edited October 12, 2009).]

Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I dig it. The speculative is right there, alongside some political nibbles, and clever characterisation. I would definitely read on.

In fact, if you are looking for readers...

A few nits. What is the "Gala room" Is it his house? If it is, I would suggest changing "In the new gala room," to in his new gala room.

Also I would lose the comma between awkward, the.

~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
I really have nothing to say except that I really like it. Well done.
Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ennis
Member # 8216

Thanks for the feedback guys! Good point Shimiqua about the gala room. It's actually a new gala room on a colony that Luc oversees, so I'll change it to "the colony's new gala room". Thanks again!
Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I am not going to post with nitpicks just to have something to say.

Instead, I'll tell you that I think you've got a really great way of combining visuals and flow, word choice, etc. It's really quite wonderful. She was a separate thing from the crowd...stiff fabric against her bony frame.

Very nice. Good luck with this! (wish I could offer to read more, but not right now. Keep me in mind if you get to Dec and still need readers. You don't mention much about the storyline, but I dig colonized space stories, and write them myself.)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sorry Kathleen, I didn't realize the hard returns counted for a line. I removed those, so hopefully this fits in 13 now.

The idea is that if you put it into manuscript format, there will be hard returns which count as lines.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ennis
Member # 8216

Thank you all again for your comments! It's so great show this to someone not in my immediate family and get some positive feedback. It feels like I've been working on this novel for years (oh wait, I have!) and sometimes I can get bogged down in it.

That being said, I appreciate all constructive criticism, "nits" or otherwise!

And good point Kathleen about the hard returns. :-)

Cheers everyone!

SavantIdiot
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for SavantIdiot   Email SavantIdiot         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, too, and I would keep reading. I found myself wondering who the poor thing was the other drink was for? And how did he recognize his wife? Not that it matters, I would keep reading and find out. And why she is so rigid and apart.

It was a simple thing, finding his wife. Introducing himself to her, that was a bit more thorny. Luc, two drinks in hand, rounded a corner in the colony's new gala room, and there she was. Gazing at one of the crude Daku sketches he had ordered hung to cover the unfinished walls. Crossing her arms rigidly against her body. She was a separate thing from the crowd around her. For a moment Luc stood in arrested motion. He ran his eyes down the length of her, measuring the reality against his dreams. She had made the political choice of wearing Daku silk, but it was awkward the way the stiff fabric swathed her bony frame. There was a warm tightness in the back of his throat. But what was the approach? He hadn't dreamt this, their first meeting.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
PS My "I am not going to post nitpicks" was a message to MYSELF, because sometimes I find that when I come to crit on F&F, I actively look for things because I want to have something to say. I hope nobody took it the wrong way as saying their crits were there just to "have something to say."

Rather, I wanted you to get the feel, Ennis, that the opening really worked for me, caused me to not even be interested in looking for something to say.

I realized how snooty my post might have sounded after the fact and I apologize if I've offended anybody! Really it was a Note to Self: don't only post when you have something to suggest to the writer...posting positive feedback is valuable too!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ennis
Member # 8216

Hey Kay Ti,

Haha, no need to explain! I totally got you! I just wanted to make sure that everyone knew that I don't mind negative, as well as positive feedback.

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to read my post! And thanks for the generous offers to read, now and later.... unfortunately my novel is in such a state of re-write that I wouldn't put anyone through that pain right now... ok, except for my husband -- but that's what he signed up for when he married me!

:-)

[This message has been edited by Ennis (edited October 13, 2009).]

MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think any of us are afraid to say something negative. I know that I really liked it. You should enter it in the Nathan Bransford first paragraph contest.

Okay I will give you a few nits.

quote:
It was a simple thing, finding his wife. Introducing himself to her, that was a bit more thorny. Luc, two drinks in hand, rounded a corner in the colony's new gala room, and there she was. Gazing at one of the crude Daku sketches he had ordered (I think you should cut the portion I put in italics. It slowed the scene down) hung to cover the unfinished walls. Crossing her arms rigidly against her body. This sentence is a fragment, combine it with the previous sentence. She was a separate thing from the crowd around her. For a moment Luc stood in arrested motion. He ran his eyes down the length of her, measuring the reality against his dreams. She had made the political choice of wearing Daku silk, but it was awkward the way the stiff fabric swathed her bony frame.comma after awkward. There was a warm tightness in the back of his throat. But what was the approach? He hadn't dreamt this part, their first meeting.

I think the fact that I had to really look hard to find nits shows that your voice was very engaging. Good luck!!

[This message has been edited by MAP (edited October 13, 2009).]

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ennis
Member # 8216

Hi MAP, thanks for the edits, I think they were excellent points. I had thought that one sentence "Gazing at one of the crude Daku sketches he had ordered hung to cover the unfinished walls" was too wordy myself, but I wasn't sure what to cut. And thanks for the tip on the first paragraph contest!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.