Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Promise of the Midnight Sun

Author Topic: Promise of the Midnight Sun
jinju
Member # 8355

- posted      Profile for jinju   Email jinju         Edit/Delete Post 
"Sir, they found the Promised Daughter."

"What?"

"My aids just alerted me. Two doctor-priests were administering the standard blood purity test, the one that all seven year old royalty have to undergo. They flagged the record of one of the girls a few minutes ago."

"I..."

"Sir?"

"Gods above, out of all seven centuries, she had to be alive now? In these times? It couldn't have been, oh, maybe after my body was safely burned and the ashes dumped in the Gang river?"

"I'm sorry, sir."

--

This is a science fiction story that I am currently working on. It's my first attempt at an original novel, so I would appreciate comments if people have them! I'm starting it off with just dialogue between two people who are talking about a girl, the Promised Daughter, whose story the novel will follow. I plan for these pieces of dialogue to begin each chapter for the first part of this novel.

Thanks!

Posts: 6 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, welcome to Hatrack. There's definetly a hook, the only comment I have is this sentence, "Two doctor-priests were administering the standard blood puity test, the one that all seven year old royalty have to undergo." You only need the first part. The second part "the one that all seven year old royalty have to undergo" feels unnecesary. Are there so many blood tests that he has to clarify, and it smacks of a "as you well know" comment.

Other than that I like it, but I would suggest not putting these dialogs in the first thirteen here, since it's not really the first thirteen of your story but a little prologue opening at each chapter.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jinju
Member # 8355

- posted      Profile for jinju   Email jinju         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your response satate! I'll work on the sentence you mentioned. But about not putting up these first thirteen lines - I thought we were supposed to put up the first thirteen lines that the reader will see if picking up the book in a store, and what I just typed would be those first lines... or maybe not?
Posts: 6 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brockbooher
Member # 8570

- posted      Profile for brockbooher   Email brockbooher         Edit/Delete Post 
It piqued my interest. It made me start asking questions about the characters and the direction of the story. It made me want to know more. Maybe use the title of the character being called "Sir" since I am left wondering if it is ruler or military or etc...

Good Luck!

Posts: 57 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.