Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Books off the beaten path

Author Topic: Books off the beaten path
Dropbear
Member # 8819

- posted      Profile for Dropbear   Email Dropbear         Edit/Delete Post 
I spend a lot of time in second-hand bookstores, and there always seems to be mountains of stuff I've never heard of, from obscure authors, and publishers that seem to be one guy in an officer with a laser printer and a book-binder on his desk. Although I know a lot of this stuff is trash, I got to thinking that there's got to be some gems out there that just didn't make it into the mainstream, or simply fell out of print, or wasn't marketed right, or whatever.

My offering is the following, for anyone that might be interested:

Shipwreck by Charles Logan, published in paperback by Panther, and hardback was probably Gollanz, but I'm not sure. Copyright date is 1975.

Here is the first thirteen--

Lonely, frightened and tired, Tansis knelt by the grave, his hands clutching a spade which he held upright in front of him like a staff to help him to climb to his feet. Four graves, four burials of friends he had known all his life, radiation deaths long and painful without hope of cure. All over now. No more nursing and comforting. All dead.

He squinted at the glaring white sky which hid all hint of stars and moons and the faraway Sun. He would never see the faint point of light which was his home star, never again meet another human being. He thought of his own death, now a familiar subject carefully pondered, a comforting centre for his own self-pity. He had sleeping pills. Any time he chose he could take that carefully measured overdose and end this nightmare.

Its basically Robinson Crusoe in space where the main character, in fact the only character, is the sole survival of a generation ship. He's stranded on an alien world around the star Capella. It's a story of his struggle to survive faced with the daunting reality that no matter what he does, no matter how well he survives, he will never be rescued. Logan has does an incredible job of painting an alien world that is truly not earth-like, but not necessarily weird. It's the only book where I got the feeling that I was in a different place. It's Logan' only novel, though he never disclosed why he stopped writing. Logan used to be (I think he's dead now), a psychiatric nurse working in the UK, which may explain his subtle and moving understanding of what makes the lead character tick. Towards the end, its the only book that I have read which I can say was spiritual without being religious.

Good luck tracking it down, its been out of print for over thirty years!

So anyone got any other obscure gems?

[This message has been edited by Dropbear (edited October 02, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by Dropbear (edited October 02, 2009).]

Posts: 78 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't read many Westerns, but one that caught my eye as a kid (when I would read anything and everything, including my Grandmother's romance novels) was part of a series called Edge. It was basically a Western written back when Spaghetti Westerns were making money so this was just something that was trying to cash in on the craze. Violent. Very violent.

But there was something in those Edge books...the writer could write, for one thing, and, the few that I read, it seemed that the writer was always getting better. The other thing that struck me about the books was that almost every chapter ended on a pun; very dark humor to go along with the violence.

For example, in Sullivan's Law (Edge #20), there's a character named Captain Kirk, a US Cavalry officer, and Edge, at the end of one chapter, after listening to what the young Captain wants to do, says, "That Captain Kirk sounds like an enterprising feller."

The author is Englishman Terry Harknett, writing as George Gilman, and Harknett has always maintained that he wrote the series for no other reason than money. But he undoubtedly did his best, and some of the writing is actually quite good.

These things are hard to come by as they've been out of print for, I guess over 20 years now, and the last ten books or so of the series weren't even sold in America. If you're browsing the Western section of the local used bookstore, look for Gilman and the Edge series. Quick reads, and though they may be short on morals or themes, they are vastly entertaining.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhat off the beaten path, huh? Well, okay, I'll throw one in...it's called The Star Stalker, a misleading title, and it's by Robert Bloch. You might know Bloch for his work in horror (Psycho) or possibly for his science fiction or fantasy.

This is none of those---it's a straight novel of getting ahead in Hollywood in the silent era. It was published sometime in the sixties, only in a cheap paperback edition that dropped into the black hole of publishing and is now long out of print.

It's pretty good. The characters are compelling and the plot is interesting. It also tells you a lot about the era. To an extent, I date my interest in silent films from reading this as a teenager (it was already some years old when I turned up a used copy).

You're not likely to find a copy, but, if you do, it's a good read.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.