Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Author's who upset you (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Author's who upset you
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey tchernabyelo,
I think you've hit the nail on the head -- both ways, if that's possible. Stopping reading an author's work is often the obverse of your 'coin'. Often you stop PRECISELY because you want to believe you are different from them. You reject the prospect of commonalities. You cease the 'dialogue' entirely.

It has happened to me with a writer called 'Chopper Reid", a minor gangland criminal who turned writer. The same guy who writes books named things like How to Shoot Friends and Influence People. It is interesting and funny until yo remember that the author is a lying, thieving, murdering criminal who had done the very same sort of things he was describing. I just wasn't interested in finding out what I had in common with him — no matter how well crafted the book. He might have something noble and meaningful to say in there — somewhere — but I'd rather read something else.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited March 22, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
There comes a point in every argument when one party or another decides it's not worth continuing. Either the party in question has run out of arguments to make without persuading the other party, or there's been a coming to agreement over the argument. Or sometimes it just runs out of steam. (This argument hasn't yet reached that point.)

There are also lots of things one can completely and utterly disagree with a writer about---a list of writers I like, who've expressed contempt and hatred for the music I like, seems endless---but I'd try to hold out the boycott thing for some extreme and thorough disagreement over something considerably more fundamental and important. (As I stated further back, this comes up for me far more often with the celebrity class than it does with writers.)

But sometimes I just lose interest in a writer's work somewhere along the way...that can be mistaken for a boycott, but it's not quite the same thing. The writer failed to entertain me...or I failed to be entertained by the writer.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loremaster
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Loremaster   Email Loremaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it or not, rcorporon, I actually do know what you're talking about. I used to feel much the same way. I think the worst instance occurred when Joss Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator) held a nationwide phone-in event for Kerry in '04. People would pay money to go to a local party and be hooked into a conference call with Joss, who would answer their questions.

This left me feeling really betrayed. Whedon's politics are, of course, his own business, and he has the right to believe whatever he wants. But at the same time, I felt left out. I would have loved to go to this event and hear Joss speak via phone, but to do so, I had to donate money to Kerry. Not like $35 (or whatever it was) would make a big diference to Kerry, but it would to me. I had to make a difficult choice -- was I willing to donate money to a candidate I didn't support, or was I willing to forego the opportunity? I skipped the event, and boycotted Whedon for a while.

My situation is not quite what you were referring to, but in some ways it's actually worse. If an author expresses a non-profit opinion (like OSC), that's one thing. But this, to me, was as if Whedon had said, "All my true fans are Democrats." It really did make me feel like my patronage was unwanted.

However, since reading OSC, I have come to a somewhat different opinion. (I just wasn't aware that there were any major authors out there who could even lay a claim to being moderate.) Maybe it's best that authors speak their mind. By boycotting Joss, I was in essence rejecting a part of his creativity...it was a nifty setup for a fundraiser, I have to admit. And hey, at least if you know their opinions and you disagree, you're ready for it. Forewarned is forearmed, and all that jazz.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel a similar situation brewing in my life. I'm pondering whether to buy the latest Springsteen album. I'm not a big fan of his, but I liked his take on a Woody Guthrie number some years ago---and this latest album consists of a bunch of Pete Seeger covers.

On the other hand, Springsteen is (from my point of view) on the wrong side of the fence politically, and I'm reluctant to put money in his pocket for that reason. (And Seeger is on the wrong side of the historical fence---but that hasn't stopped me from enjoying his songs and work (he's one of the few performers I've actually seen in person)).

On the other other hand (if I had another hand), Springsteen hasn't been near as obnoxious about his political opinions as some others.

And on the other other other hand, I understand from a review that he does make a contemporary political swipe on at least one song.

So I've got to ponder the matter further...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

My pondering is over and the matter decided. Yesterday's "USA Today" had an account of Springsteen's appearance at the New Orleans Jazz Festival. From the stage he made certain short political comments---and, on reading them, I decided then and there not to put money in Springsteen's pocket and not buy the album.
Kadri
Member # 3402

- posted      Profile for Kadri   Email Kadri         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to disagree with most everyone on something or other that I find very important. So I learn to be forgiving.
Posts: 26 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.