Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Emperor - First Conflict

Author Topic: Emperor - First Conflict
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

[Thanks for your attention, but this link has now been deleted!]

[This message has been edited by Chronicles_of_Empire (edited August 04, 2002).]

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Aarrgh! I just lost the whole thing! I really don't have time for this, but I'm going to try this again. Please bear with me.

Chronicles,

Definitely better restraint with wordage! Still, if 1800 words--about 7 pages--takes you to the first challenge, you might want to trim a bit yet.

Again, don't lead with weak verbs: "was broken," "were revealed." (Actually, try to avoid them period. You seem to have done better on this point, too.)

With a little tweaking, your first paragraph can be almost poetic:

"Only the sparkle of distant stars broke the darkness, faint streaks from a supernova barely visible across the vast gulf of space. From among the deepest shadows, an oblique crescent of sunlight formed on a deep blue gas giant, a scattered twinkling that revealed the narrow rings around its equator. The white-hot sphere of the local sun burned into view, its spreading illumination exposing the blue and white cloud formations around the massive ringed planet."

I can be a nit-picker when I'm let loose, so take the following at arms' length before you apply any of it seriously:

"as the bodies continued in their orbits" is unnecessary since at this point in the story it's assumed they would do just that.

"before the ship" is sufficient. (Anyway, "ship's course" should probably be "the course of the ship" since inanimate objects can't own anything. {Or am I showing my age here?}

Loved the 2nd sentence in the 5th paragraph! But instead of "from its fore to its aft" which might be grammatically incorrect since I believe those words may not be nouns and don't read very smoothly anyway, you might try something like "along its length."

When I read paragraph 6, I was still in space and stumbled there. You might want to add a transition so the change from space to atmosphere is apparent. Maybe:

"Thick orange clouds choked the atmosphere as the shuttle cut through it, the ground below..."

Although why are the clouds orange when from space they were blue and white?

It's not necessary to repeat the prismatic coloring--the reader can already see them. When you describe something once, try not to do so again unless there is some specific purpose. A lot of trimwork can occur here.

Never thought I'd suggest to anyone to add "ly" but watch the few adverbs you allow so they are in the correct form: "rippling slightly," "fullly obscured." It occurred to me this might be a UK thing since you do it several times.

Be careful of redundancy:
"carrying in their arms"
"followed after him from the shuttle" In the scene, there's no where else they could have come from.
"over toward"
"upon there"
"lifted the tripod before himself"

Perras should probably be thrown "down" instead of "to the floor" but I'm sure you would have caught that.

Understatement would work. Instead of "fierce onslaught of red dust" lose the "fierce." Ditto with the "tempestuous" in "tempestuous air."

Wonderful sound imagery in "another sound now rising up like an entire star screaming." Trim it for best effectiveness by losing "now" & "up."

All in all, the scene is solid--just needs more tweaking. You seem to be on track.

P.S. I'm flailing around here with UBB's and all. Still can't figure how to transfer a quote from elsewhere. I don't see any icons for cut & paste. Quick hints, anyone?

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
P.S. I'm flailing around here with UBB's and all. Still can't figure how to transfer a quote from elsewhere. I don't see any icons for cut & paste. Quick hints, anyone?

Kolona, you still have to use your web browser's edit pull-down menu to copy and paste what you want to quote.

Then, in your reply box here at Hatrack, you put

quote:
at the beginning of what you've copied and pasted and
at the end.

It's what I did to quote you.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops! That didn't work.

Hmm.

What I put in the front of my quote is the word quote in square brackets. Then at the end of my quote, I put the / right in front of the word quote and put the slash and the word in square brackets.

There are other UBB code things you can do, and there's a link to them on the reply page, just to the left of the reply box. It says *UBB Code is ON and it's underlined. If you follow that link, it will show you how to use UBB code.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

Sincere thanks again, Kolona.

The transition you stumbled upon was because the intiial focus was the Battleship around the blue gas giant, but then focus shifted to the emergent shuttle and its course to the red moon [basically, a Mars clone]. Perhaps I need to make this clearer, as suggested.

Aside from that, the feedback was excellent. I just have no capacity for dealing with the technical aspects of languages, so criticisms of verb use, adverbs, and redundancy I find utterly essential.

Thanks again.

Brian

Kolona
Member # 1438

Hi, Kathleen,
I won't use up any more thread space on my technical problems. I'll e-mail you. Suffice it to say, if I was a swearing woman, now would be the time.

Kolona
Member # 1438

Ok, last try. I think I just discovered something.

quote:
What I put in the front of my quote is the word quote in square brackets. Then at the end of my quote, I put the / right in front of the word quote and put the slash and the word in square brackets.

Kolona
Member # 1438

I guess it is always darkest before the dawn--or at least after hours of runaround with dummy books and help menus that say you don't have a clipboard so go to Microsoft who won't even answer a question till you agree to give them remote access to your computer which you really don't care to do.

I still don't know where my clipboard is. I'm told there's a viewer for it but if I can't find the board, there's no hope I'll find the viewer.

I feel like the kid on the commercial who couldn't find his socks.

But I did manage the quote, so praise the Lord for that.

I'll stop ranting now.

GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
This piece works as an opening number much better for me than the other one you posted. There was some action and character setup, but most importantly, questions were raised (Who are these people associated with and what’s their goal for this survey info? What happened after she picked up the statue? What did he see? Even, What is/are the ‘Bellows’?) that pulled me into the story. You’ve got a lot of things to work with when you go onto the next part that people are going to care about.

The opening description again loses some of its impact in the sheer number of descriptive words used. A trim is in order.

The part about the red moon could be made clearer. When it is first referred to as “a smaller red body before the ship's course,” it sounds like it is some other craft. Maybe the moon could be including in original panorama shot your setting up.

The 2 paragraph section on the landing seems unattached to anything, and is probably unnecessary. Such information might better given through the characters when they exit onto the surface – and actually, a lot of it already is, either directly or indirectly. For example, the part about the gravity and atmosphere can be inferred from wearing grav suits.

You repeatedly refer to the silver of the shuttle and the red/orange dust and how it’s everywhere. These facts are set the first time you describe the objects, so unless something changes, it does not need to be repeated. The reader, having created a picture the first time it is mentioned, will carry that picture along until given a reason not to.

I like how there is some banter between the crewmen/women, and this could probably be played up even more to show them off as individuals. Developing that sort of real-life chatter helped define the characters me. I had started to care by the time things start turning for the worst.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
A few small comments:

Paragraph 2 uses the word myriad twice . . . to describe the same thing. Why does a Battleship have so many windows, anyway? The description sounded more like a luxury liner to me.

You can send your battleship on a tangent (by definition a straight line) if you like. But typically both shuttle and battleship will travel in different parabolas, even using their engines.

You have a big shuttle carrying four people to do a job that ought to be done by two people (max) plus maybe a small ground vehicle. It would be more believable if Perras and Numellan had more to do than complain about their jobs.

On first reading, I thought Houel was aboard the battleship. You might mention this fourth member of the team as they are leaving the shuttle.

I'd like to know what Arlissa knows about the moon, so I can understand what she is thinking when she sees the figurine. At first I assume she's shocked by it, but you never say for certain. Perhaps it's common knowledge that the moon was once inhabited?

When the tremmor starts she definitely finds that shocking, and forgets the figurine. This validates the "everyone knows the moon was inhabited" theory.

But if the figurine really is surprising, then Arlissa seems pretty stupid. Two extraordinary things happen at the same time . . . she ought to be trying to figure out how they are connected. Suppose you stumbled on a box of hundred dollar bills, then suddenly someone started shooting at you . . . wouldn't you assume those events are connected? Or suppose your house was struck by lightning, and suddenly your televison started spewing flames. An intelligent person would try and figure out how the events are connected, even as you dialed 911. Understanding the connection might solve the problem.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

Thanks Doc - I never saw this reply for some reason.

The myriad repetition - silly error now corrected. The reason for the battleship form is explained later in the writing.

As for the association - there's no reason to make one between the tremors and the figurine. Possibly I could consider having her glance to the figurine when the situation develops. But I figured a natural reaction wouldn't require it.

[This message has been edited by Chronicles_of_Empire (edited August 04, 2002).]

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
The opening shots are written in third person objective. Other people have mentioned various things they found wrong with it, but I think that the main problem is that there is never a good reason for a writer to use third person objective, unless they are writing a screen-play (and my personal opinion on writing screen-plays is that there is absolutely no point in doing so until you have a producer that would like to see your story made into a movie).

Okay, I see that the entire chapter is written in third person objective. This is very bad. The only excuse (I mentioned this already) for writing in third person objective is to create a screen-play. There is simply no other reason. And I can't get into screen-plays, myself (I have tried, and maybe they were all just terrible screen-plays, but I think that a screen-play is just supposed to be a list of instructions to the director about what has to be shown on the screen...it is to an actual work of literature like a list of ingredients is to a cake--you have to know how to make a cake to generate a good list of ingredients, but listing the ingredients doesn't magically produce them, let alone the cake).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.