Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Way of Things

Author Topic: The Way of Things
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here it goes. Please ready the slings and arrows of constructive criticism

I am seeking feedback on my book, The Way of Things. It is a long one, so I am not going to ask anyone to look at the whole thing in this forum. However, I would really love to get feedback on a few chapters, starting of course with number one. The setting is this: our modern world, the New Jersey shore. The genre I suppose is dark urban fantasy. I don't want to give too much away, so suffice it to say that Joey is my main character and that there is more to him than initially meets the eye. If after reading the lines below anyone is interested in critiquing my first chapter, please let me know. Thanks!

Here are my first chapter's first 13 lines:

After the kids were tucked into bed late Saturday night, Joey kissed his wife goodbye and headed to a club full of hookers.

At least, they were probably hookers. His tip was weak after all — the source only partially trustworthy. But, it was his responsibility to check it out, so he dutifully shrugged on his favorite black leather jacket and went out into the rainy night.

He consulted the folded piece of paper that had been tucked in the pocket of his jeans. “Milk, Golden Grahams, pea…whoops,” he muttered. Flipping the paper over, he read, JAMZ, The Hottest Spot at the Jersey Shore! “Cute.”

He drove along the Beach Street strip of clubs, until the red neon sign that read JAMZ caught his eye. Hoping he had brought along enough cash for parking, he pulled his Honda over, got out and turned the keys over to the valet.

The valet looked at him sideways.

“I know, I know, just park it,” Joey sighed, giving the guy way too big an incentive.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll look at some of it. Don't know how much of it I can get through, but I look at some.

Shawn

srhowen@hotmail.com

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto for me.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I should have time to look at a chapter or two. I’ll send you an email so you have a contact.

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited August 14, 2002).]

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

Thank you, folks! SR, Kolona, I'll send to you later today. GZ, already on its way.

I really appreciate this folks, and of course I extend the same offer to read anything of yours and critique, if needed/desired.

Best wishes,

Hildy

Infyrno
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! New to the forum, but I've been at fresco for about a year, and never rally got around to coming over here. But... now I have, so here is some constuctive criticism for you. Whether it is a sling or and arrow is for you to decide.
I don't necessarily need any more of your story to come to this conclusion, but I would like a copy of it: FantomSky@aol.com

Your discription of what Joey is doing and what is going on is just that: a discription. There is no flare. No bright and shiny colors that will attract the reader. You need to say things like: "... he stepped out into the ebon night, the rain, pelting him like swarms of hornets." You have discription but you lack similies and metaphors that go arm-in-arm with the discription.
Thats just my opinion though. Other ones may be different.

"Insanity is your only escape..."

Vycye

| Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

Hello and welcome, Infyrno (cool name, btw). I'd be happy to send you a copy. I cop to frequently being overfocused on dialogue and plot, more than setting and mood. It is something I want and need to work on, so thanks for the advice.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking that this story is headed for a cute twist...or a cynical one. Either way, I'm game to read it.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
My opinion is different than Infyrno's, Hildy. Your writing style is perfect for this piece. If you were to wax poetic here, it wouldn't work. There are many types of descriptive methods, but the last thing you need is an overabundance of adjectives and flowery metaphors in a story about a cut-to-the-chase kind of guy/being.

The opening line of the chapter is a hooker (Sorry, I couldn't resist), a great hook for the reader. The tongue-in-cheek humor lends an attitude of facetiousness that fits here. I'm not a vampire/fantasy person, but I was drawn into the chapter.

The long prologue is a necessary evil in order to establish the parameters of the world you've created. The conversation with the child made it possible for you to "talk down" to the reader without insulting him, the talking down a clever way to inform even the most obtuse reader. I know there's a whole argument against prologues, but I generally don't have a problem with them. Although I'm not a reader of this genre, I'm guessing longer prologues are de rigueur for it.

A few nit-picky things:

quote:
He was immediately distracted by a blur of movement, tearing the girl away from him.

"Immediately" is unecessary. It adds nothing. Rather than "tearing the girl away from him," which confused me into thinking Joey tore the girl away from himself, perhaps it would read better "...movement that tore the girl away from him."

quote:
The vampire's red eyes were locked onto Joey's. The red orbs widened, clearly not liking what he saw in them.

The second sentence here needs revamping. "He" seems to refer to the orbs, but "he" should not refer to inanimate objects; even if it did, the singular/plural aspect is a problem. But I'm not completely certain if "he" refers to the vampire, either, because Joey could be seeing the orbs and not liking what he sees. Similarly, "them" could refer to either Joey's or the vampire's eyes. You get the picture. Also, you could easily drop the first "red."

Ellipses at the end of sentences still require periods, so the three dots should be four.

All in all, the story reads well. It's entertaining. Your credentials serve you well.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited August 16, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited August 16, 2002).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

Thank you very much, Kolona, for taking the time to give me your feedback. I really appreciate your impressions and suggestions (and the puns, especially the puns). Please let me know if I can return the favor!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.