Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » To the Moderator

Author Topic: To the Moderator
Infyrno
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. I am a new member of this forum but already I see one thing that could help the forum. You see, I have been reading a few of the threads and have noticed the same patern in almost every single one of them, this being that the person that puts their fragment on a post is scarcely able to get their idea across. However, I have noticed the politeness in others and for this I commend you and everyone here. You see I just came from the Fresco Pictures forum where it is currently in a world of chaos.

Ok I have to get to the point. That is that every post is the same. And what I suggest is to allow the full story to be posted, for all people do here is request the story in full regardless. I understand that this is not purpose nor the idea for this forum, but that is what I am looking for. So if this action will not be carried out nor even concidered (which is all I really ask) then is there anywhere that I could go instead where the story in full is allowed? If there is, you may merely send me on my way. Thank you for your time!

"Insanity is your only escape"

Vycye

| Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is two fold.

1) Posting that much text can quickly use up server space.

2) Posting the work in-full tosses a writer's first publication rights out the window, as that would count as self-publishing.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If you wish to self publish, then you can simply post a few lines of your story and a link to another location where you've published your story. You can post a link to your story posted on another BBS, or to a personal website page. Several persons have done this, and it is not a problem. Just use the UBB url insertion code:
code:
  www.yoursite.com/storypage.html  

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Sort of on-topic here, why are there all those groups on the site but never any posts to them?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming what happens is that a group is formed, and then they communicated solely through email. But, seeing as how they are a group, they still get the folder on the forum.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Infyrno, I'm not sure, but I think Critters lets you post the whole story. (I never can remember the website URL, but you can do a search at www.google.com for critters and it should come up.)

Kolona, Rahl22 is close.

The spaces have been set aside for groups to use, but most groups choose to stay in email to conduct their group exchanges and feedback.

You'll notice that even the groups who start to use the website discussion group areas don't keep using them. (I need to go clean up the old ones.)

I think staying in email is more efficient, too, but we have the space available for those groups that want it.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
DelRey has you post the entire thing, critters uses e-mail to send the round of stories to the other members.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Shawn.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, don't expect nice pats on the back from critters. They are a tough group. Need a thick skin to venture there. (I belong)<grin>

DelRey is sometimes free and sometimes not. I got good crits and useless ones there. They are very well moderated and when I got a three line crit and e-mailed the powers that be, they responded and nudged the slacker. As it is a post the entire thing site--never post a final draft---or a complete one.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.