Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Dancing Lights

Author Topic: Dancing Lights
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I tried something very different than I usually do, and this was the product.

It is a piece of short fiction, ~5300 words, of a, dare I say, contemporary mainstream nature.

A recent divorcee, male, lives alone in Alaska during the winter (aka, dark) when the power goes out. He hears a gunshot that makes him concerned for his neighbor. I'd like to say it's the simple story of a man reevaluating his life, but I'm not sure if anyone would agree.

Here are the first thirteen, or so, lines:

Nick was standing in the kitchen, chopping carrots for soup, when the lights went out. Each appliance surrounding him quieted and came to a stop, like a mechanical beast slowly dying around him.

He stood still for a moment, smelling the sharp aroma of the onions already on the stove, waiting to see if the lights would return. After a moment, he decided they weren’t going to. It was an eerie feeling, almost too quiet. Even late at night, when he was going to sleep, there were always noises: the furnace clicking on, the hum of a computer, the ticking of a clock. Now all was silent.

Nick set the knife down on the cutting board and felt his way toward the junk drawer he knew to be near the wall. He lifted his hands and knocked over a glass sitting on the edge of the counter. A split second later, he heard it shatter loudly on the floor beneath him, sending shards flying across the hardwood and onto his feet.

“Damn it,” he muttered.

If any of you'd like to read it, feel free to let me know. I'd appreciate it. Oh, and I know the beginning lines need some help, but it was all I was able to manage after having stared at it until I went cross-eyed!

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

Don't think I'll have time to read all - but I have no immediate probs with the lines presented.

The smelling onions line is powerful - actually recoiled subconsciously from the pungent odour.

Also, nice details - reference to noisome machines about the house, and the knocking over the glass.

Probably a good start

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

That's alright, Chronicles. Thanks for the feedback. Good to know that I might be doing something right!
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Could be interesting. Like a proper fictional character with contradictions, I love Hawaii but one of my goals is to be in Alaska during the week of the Iditarod. I'll take a look.

Two things with the excerpt:

"slowly dying"--When power goes off, don't things die out quickly? Maybe more like a mechanical beast blinking out around him?

"After a moment, he decided they weren’t going to."--I think this is unnecessary. Doesn't add anything.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Rahl, feel free to send to me. I'd like to read more!

hildy9595@aol.com.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

Kolona, I was more or less referencing the time it takes for things to turn off. Haven't you ever heard things kind of, DIRRRRrrrrrruuuuuuu.... (How's THAT for onomatopea).

Hildy, you got it.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this intro. You immediately introduce the primary tension and initial setting of the story, but without giving away too much. I'd like to read more.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess "slowly" is relative then. To me it suggests a l o n g DIRRRrrrrruuuuu... instead of a few seconds.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

Just publicly stating my thanks to Hildy for a fantastic review!
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
And a public "you're welcome," as well as a plug. It's a dern good story, folks!
Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.