Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Any Interest?

Author Topic: Any Interest?
HopeSprings
Member # 1533

- posted      Profile for HopeSprings   Email HopeSprings         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a snippet of something I have been struggling with for quite some time. I think it has merit, but I am missing how to string the various parts of it together in a way that makes sense.

I'm including just the opening - if interested or have any feedback - please let me know. I'd love to hear from you. I'd like to get this wrapped up and free myself to move on.

Thanks!
Hope

_____________________________________________Perchance, To Pray

Spring 1999
Spiritual searches be damned. For once in my life, I just want to fit in. If a convent could guarantee community, I would ram the door down. Special communities promise nothing, however. If I have learned anything after a mere three decades, let it be this: community is a dream and a lie and a hoax fostered upon others. I have belonged to many communities, given up much for many communities, been forced to give up . . . the human condition is one of aloneness. Matsuo Basho knew whereof he spoke; even Thomas Merton left the sanctuary to renew his pact with solitude. To survive requires an inner strength that is at once elastic and brittle, contradictory though that may sound.

I am alone
in my aloneness
a single tear hidden
in spring rain.

Note from Kathleen:

Please do not post more than the first 13 lines of a story on the Hatrack Writers Forum. We ask this in order to help you reserve your electronic publication rights.

[Note: This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury]

Posts: 70 | Registered: Nov 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
DragynGide
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for DragynGide   Email DragynGide         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hooked. I'll read any of this you send me. Though I may not be much help with critique... I don't think it should be changed, not one iota. It's absolutely beautiful.

Shasta

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

- posted      Profile for PaganQuaker   Email PaganQuaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hope,

Well, this kind of poetic prose seems so easy to screw up that I wouldn't have thought anything would be presented here among the ranks of we non-yet-professionally-published-writers-of-fiction. Certainly I wouldn't have been brave enough to try it yet--but so far, your piece works really well for me. I'd love to read more, and respond to it as a piece. I have to say that with a lesser subject or a less forthcoming narrator the language would be too much for me, but for this particular story it seems to fit very well.

My son was in intensive care for ten days when he was born; I certainly will be sure to complain loudly if anything starts ringing false in my ear. But then, was one of your children, too? You've already managed to get to that point of having me wonder whether you have personal experience of the story or are just writing really well.

Luc
luc@meadowdance.org

Posts: 380 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
HopeSprings
Member # 1533

- posted      Profile for HopeSprings   Email HopeSprings         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you both - I'll e-mail the attachment in .rtf

Feel free to be brutally honest - I really want to get this done and out there.

Shadow-x
Member # 1536

- posted      Profile for Shadow-x   Email Shadow-x         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a look.
Posts: 47 | Registered: Nov 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I will as well, if you like.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
HopeSprings
Member # 1533

Thank you Shadow and Survivor - I'll e-mail it over.
DragynGide
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for DragynGide   Email DragynGide         Edit/Delete Post 
I just recieved an email with an attatchment and no subject from someone whose name I don't recognize. Could you please tell me the name it was sent under, if it is yours, or when you send it, make sure that the subject line is something that will clearly let me know it's you? I'm sorry, but I'm paranoid of viruses.

Shasta

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
HopeSprings
Member # 1533

Sorry, Shasta -

I just resent it with the subject as HopeSprings Writing.

Thanks again -

DeviantOperant
Member # 1548

- posted      Profile for DeviantOperant   Email DeviantOperant         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with almost every line of this! Although I don't know the people you used as examples (sorry about that history teachers), I agree with your thesis. I think Thoreau had the right idea.

The only critique I could make is your use of the word ram. I'm sure your essay, being of such high caliber, would be much better suited with a less adolescent word in it's place.

I would enjoy reading whatever you have put to paper.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.