Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Stroy Plot. Please read and comment!

Author Topic: Stroy Plot. Please read and comment!
Chewscotta
Member # 1582

- posted      Profile for Chewscotta   Email Chewscotta         Edit/Delete Post 
This is not my story, but it is a basic synopsis of what the story is about. Read it, tell me your opinions. Would you be interested in reading this novel? Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

England

Evelyn Turner receives an innocent enough letter from her friend Rosalie. It is an invitation to a surprise party, as Rosalie twenty-first birthday is in a very short while. The surprise is not that there will be a party, but what the party involves. The answer to this Rosalie herself does not know.
But Evelyn this receives the letter later than planned, and must rush out the door practically the moment she reads it.
After a lavish train ride, Evelyn arrives at her friend’s estate, introductions are made, and incidents arise that at the time seem to be of no real consequence.
Gathered around the dinner table, are the fourteen members of the party, some are in on the surprise, but others like Evelyn and Rosalie are in the dark.
Dr Wilfred Auel, an Archaeologist of some renown, stands at the head of the table, it is he that has conceived and is arranging the surprise party.
He informs the cast of characters that, they will be travailing to America for a Holiday. This is exciting enough in itself, but when Wilfred explains that they will be travelling to America on the most renowned ship in creation, the party can hardly contain themselves.
Soon enough they are at sea, but all is not well. There are murmurs of foul play, and Evelyn seeks to discover the source. Nigel, one of the guests, has concocted some sort of plan, what this plan consists of he will not tell even his wife.
Another of the fourteen guests falls strangely ill, only hours after she almost tells a secret of her own. Poison?
Investigations are made by the unexperienced Evelyn, but she can discover nothing that can give course to her suspicions, she decides, thankfully that she must have been wrong.
The night of Rosalie’s twenty-first birthday arrives, and all has been smooth sailing.
The only point of worry is that the ill guest has become even worse.
As the night progresses and the party begins, fun is had by most. The dancing and games run deep into the night, but one of the party is missing, supposedly working on some important business. Their absence becomes ridiculous and they go to tell them so. But instead they find a corpse, Wilfred Auel is dead. Murdered. Stabbed.

Thirteen members of the party remain, thirteen suspects. Any many questions remian unanswered.
What was Nigel’s plan? Who left the bloody footprint found at the crime scene? Why did one of the guests change his shoes? Why is one of the guests so strangely ill?
What is relevant to the murder? What is irrelevant? What are the ‘red herrings’?
Who is going to solve the most puzzling of murders? Will more murders follow?
And who murdered famed Archaeologist Dr Wilfred Auel and why?

IF you would prefer to e-mail me you can do so at chewscotta@optusnet.com.au
Remember this is not my full story, there is a lot more going on than I have expressed here. Thanks for you time people!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the name of this "most renowned ship in creation" which is traveling to America? Are you going to try and conceal the identity of the ship they are on until some critical moment in the story? I can assure you that this would be an enormously bad idea.

Other than that, the story concept doesn't offer enough information to allow the reader (well, concept scanner) to become involved in the plot. If the writing is exceptional, this will be an exceptionally well written...bit of fluff, from what you have here. As a synop it seems rather formulaic, even with the "mystery" ship setting and surprise.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chewscotta
Member # 1582

- posted      Profile for Chewscotta   Email Chewscotta         Edit/Delete Post 
The ship name is known at the very start of the book so that is not going to be a problem, I can see how it could be an enormously bad idea if i did not do this, i am glad you brought it up.
I was actaully glad when you said that my idea was 'formulaic', 'with the "mystery" ship setting and surprise', this is the intended purpose of my work. I am aiming to produce a traditional murder mystery story, in the way of characters and the way the plot unfolds. I dont know how popular this would be if I tired to publish it, but I am more doing it for the fun and for the satisfaction.
Thanks for the feed back, I will definetly think about your sujestions.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Good grief, why didn't you just say so?

Well, write a bit of it and then post a sample. As long as you are having fun, it won't matter too much whether anyone reads it. I'm not opposed to formula, as long as the writing is good.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.