Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » For review - short story

Author Topic: For review - short story
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, all,

I have a new, short story (approx. 4,000 words). I suppose it could be considered a ghost story, or dark urban fantasy. I was hoping someone might want to take a look at it and critique. Here are the first thirteen lines (give or take):

I pat down the dirt pile with the back of my shovel, studying my hole in the dimming rays of the sun. Six down, six long, four across. Edges are nice and sharp, earthen walls are solid and almost smooth. I nod in satisfaction. Mrs. Rosenthal has a nice resting spot awaiting her arrival tomorrow at ten in the a.m.

As I pull the blue tarp over the pile of dug-up dirt to keep it from blowing around, I notice that Joe’s already coming through the iron gate. He gives me a polite nod as he walks toward the third stone in the seventeenth row. I give him a little wave back and hurry about fastening my tarp down. I don’t want to miss his performance.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good Hildy, from just the first lines. Unfortunately, I'm scrambling to get ready for Mexico or else I'd consider reading it. My only hesitation is that it's written in present tense, and I find that highly disconcerting.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
More disconcerting than the first person, or disconcerting in addition to the first person?

Who was it that was so avid for first person? I think it was...somebody or other. Published, I think, but definitely not a purist.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Rahl, can I go, too? I'm buried under two feet of snow here in NJ and Mexico would be quite a treat!

Actually, the present tense choice is an experiment, based partly on some of the discussions here. I wanted to see if I could do it and get others' opinions as to whether I did it well.

Hope you have fun in the sun!

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be happy to take a look.

mk86@radc.com

Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmi
Member # 1252

- posted      Profile for Cosmi   Email Cosmi         Edit/Delete Post 
sounds interesting. i'll take a look too if you want.

lightbulb137@yahoo.com

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

Posts: 160 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
DragynGide
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for DragynGide   Email DragynGide         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll look at it.

dragyngide@yahoo.com

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
DragynGide
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for DragynGide   Email DragynGide         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, I am a complete idiot. I accidentally deleted the file you sent. Could you please re-send?

Shasta

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.