Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Critiquing web site?

Author Topic: Critiquing web site?
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking about this for a little while, and I wonder if it would make sense, or if anyone's already done something similar.

The general idea would be to provide a web site where authors could upload work they've written and critique other work. Then, with the author's permission, both work & critiques could be added to a public gallery, which could be a helpful resource.

The main problem, I suspect, is that it would become a site where people uploaded stories and never got anything back, or a collection of junk that was never really intended to be taken seriously. To combat this, I would suggest that in order to upload a story, you must critique somebody else's first.

Obviously, a few initial stories would have to be put online first to get things rolling, but after that, it should be kept fairly serious.

Comments? Would people here use a site like that? Or have I missed an obvious flaw?

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose the main problem with a site like that would be that when you upload your work to the internet like that it's considered to be published, so you can't sell first rights to a publisher. There are some hobbyists out there who don't care, but I do have the ultimate goal of getting my work published.

I think that's why this site is run this way...ask for volunteers to critique then e-mail the work. That way you don't inadvertantly give up first rights to your work.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
There are already several websites like this around. http://critters.org/ is one such site, and I'm sure that SR or some of the others might point you to half a dozen more.

Critters requires membership, and posts stories in a members only area (I suspect any other site offering critiques for work intended for eventual publication must do something similar). A number of the members of this site have used critters (I myself never got around to sending them a story...you have to critique for a while before you can submit, and a lot of the stories there aren't worth reading--though a few were diamonds, in my not so humble opinion).

The system here is more informal, but you usually know something about the writing style of a work's author (and the critiquing style of the reader) before you get into it. I think that a lot of the members here are members [i]here--rather than elsewhere--for just that reason.

Of course, a lot of us are here because we're fans of OSC's work, but that hasn't been enough to keep me on any of his other sites and it wouldn't be enough to keep me here either if I didn't like the essentials of how this site works.

But if you are looking for something like what you're suggesting above, then check out critters.org. Ask some of our industry insiders about other sites if critters is too big or impersonal for you (it was too impersonal for me--if a story was crappy I felt constrainted to ignore it rather than offer "help"--quote marks added to make meaning clear...er). It won't be too small, they have thousands of members (most are probably inactive, like me).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I should mention that SFWA.org has a list of sites and groups that you can join. Critters and this site are both on the list, but there are several others (actually, Critters and this site are the top of the list...but there are others ).
Survivor
Member # 213

Okay, so the list is in alphabetical order, so what?
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
While we're on the subject here, back while I was searching for writing websites, I found one other that used the same format Hatrack does. I haven't been able to find it since. Anyone familiar with it?

One reason I like this one is the format -- easier to read. More user friendly.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

Heh :-)

I was just wondering if it would make things easier for people, but I can see why problems occur.

I'll give this method a try. On the subject of which, I have a 6,500 word science fiction short story that I'd love to hear some comments on.

I think somebody suggested posting the first 13 lines of manuscript.... well, here we go. The first 12 lines of my manuscript contain 3 complete paragraphs:

Kurst knew long before they reached their destination that things change -- places and faces come and go over time. Once, a long time ago, this may have been home, but even though it still bore the same name, it was no longer home in any true sense of the word. At least not for Kurst, or any of his crew.

He also knew, but not quite as far in advance, that something was wrong. And he was using every trick he knew to get there faster...

Ilic Senir took a brief opportunity to relax. The sun would rise in only ten minutes, and another busy day was ahead of him. He was in his office, which looked out over the grounds of the palace through two windows. Through one the Senate was visible in the half-light of those pre-dawn moments, and already the air temparature was beginning to rise.

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a look at it. Send it along, my e-mail's in my profile.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

Doh! I brought it in to the office to e-mail it out, but I forgot to convert it from the openoffice.org format that I use on my home computer to MS Word (which I presume is the most commonly accepted format here?)

I'll e-mail it tomorrow, all going well...

Survivor
Member # 213

Was this thread originally posted in the general comments area, then moved here?

Anyway, you can send me a copy, if you like.

Jules
Member # 1658

Nope, I started here. There's a copy on its way. BTW: Christine - did you get it? I've not seen a reply from you, but I had some mail go missing so might have lost it...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.