Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » RE: Copyright protection for story ideas presented for critique and Feedback?

Author Topic: RE: Copyright protection for story ideas presented for critique and Feedback?
marcusunlimited
Member # 1819

- posted      Profile for marcusunlimited           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I'm interested in getting involved here but based on some uncool experiences in the music biz as a kid, am VERY leery about realeasing stuff publicly before official US Gov copyright?

How can I protect my ideas? Remember not only other writers may be looking at this board! Need I mention Art Buchwald and the guy who really wrote Monster's Inc?

Thanks,
-Marcus

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
oops

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited December 08, 2003).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
What about Buchwald and Monsters Inc.?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
1) You only post 13 line bits here
2) Any ideas you have will not be original enough for protection. Seriously, it's the writing that counts--then the idea. Ideas are a penny a dozen/

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
This question comes up every so often, and let me tell you, I'm a paranoid person, but I've stopped being too worried about this.

One reason is, as Phanto said, that most ideas really are not unique. Recognizing a piece of your idea in someone else's story does not necessarily mean they stole it from you. Even if someone does borrow something from your story, it will be fit into the new author's story in a different way, with a different angle, and with a totally different writing style. It will no longer really be yours anyway.

The other reason I'm not worried is that I don't just send off my ideas to one person, I send them off to a group. If someone from that group actually steals an idea then I have people to back me up.

Oh, by the way, as soon as you write something it is copywrited. Publication is not required for a copywrite.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
umo1171
Member # 1820

- posted      Profile for umo1171           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I sort of agree with some of you that everything has been done concept, but... not entirely.

Its like this...

1. Let say you wrote a story about a cute alien and some kids, and it was alot ALOT like E.T. ... BUT you never ever sent that story to anyone connected to Spielberg, or his agents, and basically it would have been near impossible for him to see your story.

Of course Speilbergs in the clear and it was just a creative coincedence, no prob.

BUT have any of you read that Monsters Inc synopsis that was actually SUBMITTED to the creative team at pixar LONG before inc was made!

HOLY CRAP! Its the same freakin' movie, Monstertown was Monsterville, Plot was near dead nuts same thing, Character names were like one or two letters off!

Monster's Inc. made HUGE NASTY PIMP MONEY AT BOX OFFICE!

Art Buckwald actually won at least a million after HARD LONG PAINFUL LAWSUIT for "Coming to America" the film with Eddie and Arsenio, he wrote and submitted the story to the same studio that ended up doing this flick. Of course title was different, but again main theme was dead on the same with again the just enough to legally steal "facelift", a few different character names, etc.

FOR INSTANCE, I wrote a detailed synopsis for a movie in which a caucasian guy ends up joining an old Kurosawa style band of Samurai's, VERY COOL story, VERY SIMILAR to Last Samarai now out in theatre's BUT I know Cruise and co, did not steal it because I never did ANYTHING with the concept other than shelve it.

However, when I was a kid, I worked on this guys song once, and we made a lo-fi 4-track cassette version of our work and we lost contact,

He already had a record deal and holy smokes, about 6 mo's later he releases a song that had literally 90% of the track we worked on, some easy lyric changes, a few flip flops of notes and because he had the connections, he basically yanked the whole productions style and just had it redone in a big multi million dollar studio.

Ouch did that hurt, legally he made JUST enough changes to keep him out of liability but man, it was the same thing with a minor facelift. It was not a billion dollar #1 but he did make some money, and I made none!

So my point is with the internet, I mean some rich studio ownin' chump could make a fake ID, lets pretend its, "WriterBoy9000"

He joins this group or one of the yahoo groups, sees some kick butt synopsis or story, cut and pastes it to his word processor, prints it, then hands it to a staff writer slave, and says,

"See what you can do with this, its a rough idea, but I think you can flesh it out."

3 months later, your little story has been given a facelift but is still the same guy. They get paid, you don't?

If we knew of a web site that was going to be live eternally guaranteed it might be okay because we could find post dates, and such etc.

?

UMO

Posts: 9 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Although it is possible, it still comes back to the fact that they could steal your idea, but they could never write the same story. They could join a writing group, but if you think about it, why would they? Now I have seen some good ideas floating around the site, and have read some very good stories here also, but with the amount of people submitting stories already I just can't fathom it happening.

Most companies that produce movies are willing to pay for the stories they use. There are a few companies that are a bit shady, and they get sued. If all of the people here never trusted anyone else they would end up doing it all by themselves. That would make this site, and any others like it pointless.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Unsolicited submissions to studios are completely the fault of the person making the submission, in my humble opinion (and in my prideful and arrogant opinion, any fool attempting to both waste my time and impose some kind of legal burden on me by sending me unsolicited material deserves to be cast into a vat of boiling cheese and turned into a French snack of some kind).

Don't submit your stories to anyone but a publisher of written works.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.