Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Critique please

Author Topic: Critique please
moxcamel
Member # 1825

- posted      Profile for moxcamel   Email moxcamel         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all. Here's the opening paragraph (well, the opening paragraph I'm considering) of a fantasy novel I'm working on. Please tell me what you think.

Al Mecina, so-called "Jewel of the East," was ancient beyond reckon.
It's white sun-baked buildings and occasional brass-topped palaces
straddled the three shores where the Akubeh River broke into the Heta
and the D'Ahma rivers. At the docks, the sharp smell of fish and the
frenzied staccato of buyers and sellers, combined into a nervous stew of
noise and confusion. More inland, the tangy and sometimes pungent aromas
of exotic spices and oils, lay artificially over the smells of sweat and
the stink of the camel yards. Throughout the city, swarming gnats and
biting flies pestered prince and camel herder alike with equal impunity.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
POV?
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
moxcamel
Member # 1825

Omniscient for the first couple of paragraphs or so, descending into 3rd person. (This paragraph is Om.)
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think Survivor summed it up with 3 letters, but let me see if I can clarify.

The only thing I will be taking out of your first paragraph, if anything, is possibly where your story is taking place. Utnil you give me a character to put in that setting, I don't care about the sights or the smells. I picked up a novel (presumably after having read a brief description of what it's about) and I got a city guide.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, at the very first, I thought the POV was immediately established -- till I realized Al Mecina was a city, not a person. Note: You might want to change the name of the city, or at least make it El Mecina or something.

Were this a short story, this would not be good use of a first paragraph; as a novel, you might get away with it -- I've certainly seen worse -- but the second paragraph better be a humdinger. Still, you'd be better off starting with Al Mecina, the person, rather than Al Mecina, the city.

That said, are we, and the writing/publishing industry in general, creating our own monster? Are we becoming so rule-adhering that we're stifling some creativity?

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Stifling creativity eh? A very valid concern, because I think that in a number of ways the "rules" of writing do have the capcity to stifle creativity but...

Not in this case. In this case the only thing accomlished by establishing POV right up front rather than having a couple of omni lead ins, is making the book immediately more intriguing to the reader. Now, if there was some compelling reason to do otherwise, if the entire tale rested on having a few paragraphs of omni viewpoint before getting into the heart of the story, then it could be stifling to creativity. (I've never heard of such a situation, but that's not to say that they don't exist, obviously I haven't heard everything )

moxcamel
Member # 1825

Thanks for the critiques so far, I really appreciate you guys taking the time.

I'm not going to defend my opening paragraph, since I'd rather get more feedback, instead of me trying to justify what could very well be a bad or questionable opening. (I'd already be published if my stuff were perfect. :)

But I do want to point out a couple things:
1) The very next paragraph does introduce our hero, and the narrative shifts to 3rd person. Again, that's not a justification. I'd have included the next paragraph if it would have fit in the 13 line limit.

2) Kolona: The setting is a middle eastern derivitive, and "El Mecina" sounds more central/south american. "Al Mecina" is a working name for the moment, until I can come up with something a little more creative. (sounds too much like Al Medina, a coastal city in Saudi Arabia.). But the jist of your post is duly noted. :)

[This message has been edited by moxcamel (edited December 17, 2003).]

Christine
Member # 1646

Just a suggestion, if you want your city to be the "Jewel of the East", why don't you try ot transltae the phrase into a middle eastern language?
izzy crow
Member # 1824

- posted      Profile for izzy crow   Email izzy crow         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, if I opened a book and that's the first paragraph I read, then it would keep me reading. Probably you'd have to soon switch into someone's POV, but it reminds of of a beginning of typical GGKay novel (and that's a good thing, in my mind)...

[This message has been edited by izzy crow (edited December 17, 2003).]

Posts: 7 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing too bad about it. Just make it slightly more energized, make it throbe with excitement, then it would be better. Because, as it is, its a little too dry. Narrative, of course, does not have to be like that.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If this is your opening, then it is actually a mistake to introduce the main character in the next paragraph.

Sometimes I let my desire to be terse get away with me (and you all thought it was my tendancy to be verbose that I fail to control--hah! I never have problems controlling my loquacity). I should have added, "or is this a prologue."

For a prologue, this would be an acceptable POV choice, as long as you used the full length of the prologue to imply a narrator character. The art of doing this is fairly complex, Tolkien does a masterful job of it, LeGuin also does it well (and with less labor) in her EarthSea Trilogy.

Naming the city 'Al Mecina' isn't the problem, the problem is that you shouldn't have started the work with the name of an unknown city in the first place (heh heh, get it?). If you are going to do an implied narrator prologue, then you must start with some varient of "long ago and far away...." This signals to the reader that this story is being told using an implied narrator character. If this is a conventional first chapter in a POV work, then you should start with the name of the POV character (alternatively, you can start with something immediately identifiable to the reader which the POV character is experiencing--i.e. "The chaotic hubbub of the market street combined with the pungent aromas of the wares to assault Khalaam's sensibilities").

Remember, the way you engage the reader's interest is by introducing them to an interesting character as soon as possible. Humans are interested in...other humans (that's where cities come from, after all). If this chapter is going to be in a regular POV, then you are unnecessarily delaying the moment at which the main character is introduced. If you are going to establish an interesting narrator character (and this is a wonderful and sadly neglected artform--it is such a pleasure to read those works of long ago...), then you have to take the time to do that properly, and really let your narrator character's 'voice' (idiom, perspective, biases, and especially wit) show through and color the narration.

Remember, being truly creative is a matter of fully understanding why you use certain elements of narration in your story, and using them for effect. If you're just unconsciously cobbling it together out of what you've read in other works...that's generally called 'derivative', and not in the good (or at least neutral), mathmatical sense.

Now, the main (good) reason for writing a work with a strong implied (or even explicit) narrator character is because the available main character's would not be suitable as POV character's, either because they are unsympathetic for much or all of the story, or because they are all too dull (in mentality or personality), or (and this one is quite common) because none of them is present for the entire action of the story. Now in the last case, it is frequently the practice to simply switch from one POV to another (usually at chapter breaks) or to use a full omniscient POV. !!!WARNING!!! Full Omniscient is every bit as difficult as it sounds, the narrator must know everything and tell the reader anything that has any bearing on the story.

In the old days, of course, it was just expected that you would have a really good narrator character, whether implied or explicit. We've gotten away from that because it is difficult (though not as difficult as full omniscient) and is no longer regarded as current (journalists are evil...but that's another--only tangentially related--story).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a thought, some readers are put off by so many place names bunched together, esp. when many of the names sound so foreign.

Also, "At the docks, the sharp smell of fish and the
frenzied staccato of buyers and sellers, combined into a nervous stew of
noise and confusion" --the comma after "sellers" is incorrect. You started off with an introductory clause and seperate your sub. from the verb with it.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.