Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Poetry ??

Author Topic: Poetry ??
TGRedBaron
Member # 1848

- posted      Profile for TGRedBaron   Email TGRedBaron         Edit/Delete Post 
As you may see i am new to this board, and have been reading up on past topics and noticed the no poetry command from kathleen. Which rather puzzles me because i also noticed that in the Young Writers Workshop (also here on Hatrack) there is a section devoted to people posting their poetry. My only guess as to why this would happen is that for some reason the moderators believe that in the Young Writers Workshop the people posting there are under 18 so, of course they won't want to publish any of their poetry ever that my be posted there.*coughcough* , my question is why is the problem of legealities a problem for posting poetry on this forum and not for the Young Writers ... they have to face the same legal issues if they ever want to really publish their poetry.

So are we really just saying that these kids have no ability to produce legitimate pieces of literature, so its okay if they compromise their pubilishing ability later on?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never been in the young writers side, but I would bet it depends on who moderates it. To me, poetry is something fun to do sometimes, but I never looked at it as a sellable item. I could be wrong, but most poetry magazines pay in issues, not money.

Kathleen is just looking out for us here, even when we don't realize we need to be looked out for sometimes.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
She is a wise sheperd, protecting us from our own folly.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
BudHAHA
Member # 1812

- posted      Profile for BudHAHA   Email BudHAHA         Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus christ you guys must be devout christians! lol

TG baron I totally agree. The double standard is always in affect in all parts of life. Kathleen will come instaneosly to stop the poetry but once a person like yourself Redbaron askes a good question shes gone. Kind of strange huh. Almost like how god will wipe out sodom and gomarrah but when you have a good logical question(prayer) where the hell is he?

I didn't make the allusion to god. Phanto did. I just played off it. So whats up with that Kathleen? Answer us please I pray unto you! dear moderator god.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Nov 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
You will find that Kathleen does give input where it is needed. She is the forum moderator, she keeps up with what goes on and tries to keep things under control. I will say she has let us...um...discuss things that were on the border line of pure flame war.

Give her time, I'm sure you will get an answer at some point.

And after taking a quick look, the young writers section has a different moderator...so you might want to ask that moderator why he allows it.

[This message has been edited by Lord Darkstorm (edited January 06, 2004).]

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
BudHAHA
Member # 1812

- posted      Profile for BudHAHA   Email BudHAHA         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok i will do that too

Posts: 31 | Registered: Nov 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that Kathleen stated why she didn't want us doing poetry critiques here. She said, if memory serves, that given the length of most poetry, posting it here for critique might well end up constituting electronic publication (thus the reason for the 13 line limit on story excerpts posted here, also). She is, as was said earlier, simply trying to protect us and our work.

Heresy

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, all. And thanks to those who help me do my job here.

We're not against poetry, honest.

We just don't want to be your poetry publisher, and if you post your poetry here, it is being published, technically (as well as electronically).

We're also trying to help you protect your rights to publication of your story, particularly the electronic publication rights.

What goes on in other parts of the Hatrack website are under the guidance of the moderators there.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

- posted      Profile for ccwbass   Email ccwbass         Edit/Delete Post 
It's amazing, actually, how careful one has to be. Even 13 lines of out-of-context prose could theoretically get a person into trouble. I remember What's His Face (the guy who wrote Babylon 5) saying that he had to avoid simply logging on to certain fan sites where plot ideas - only ideas, mind you - would be appearing. Apparently, one gentleman on a site sometimes visited by WHF proposed an idea that was close enough to something that appeared in an episode that the gentleman was able to get a settlement.

Just something to think about.

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
"What's His Face" is J. Michael Straczynski
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

- posted      Profile for ccwbass   Email ccwbass         Edit/Delete Post 
For the life of me I couldn't remember anything after the J.
Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.