Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Is this passive?

Author Topic: Is this passive?
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I thought I had a handle on passive voice but a critiquer gave me feedback recently and marked lots of sentences passive that I did not think qualified. Help, please!

...She looked from the thick purple fluid oozing from Risa’s leg to the needle that had caused the injury. The needle was huge; something out of a child’s nightmare of a doctor’s visit, and it was full of an unidentifiable dark green fluid...

Are either of these sentences passive? I'm trying to put subjects together with verbs and I'm seeing She and looked, it was she that looked, the needle caused, it did indeed perform that action...the needle was huge....grrrr, I thought I understood this so I'm really frustrated now. Even MS Word doesn't say this is passive.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Those aren't passive, Christine. The two 'wases' are state of being verbs, and 'had' is a helping verb here. While it is true it's better to avoid too many being verbs since they're not considered especially strong, they do have their place -- as do passive verbs, for that matter. Helping verbs get a bum rap and all they're doing is helping. Talk about ingratitude.

Lots of people see 'was' or 'had' and immediately assume passive, but, as we've been enlightened several times on these threads and which you've rightly assessed, passive has to do with whether or not the subject is acting or being acted upon.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
They're not passive. It's just that it's very easy to assume is and was are usually in passive constructions... I once had an English teacher who seemed to circle every single to be verb as passive voice. ("Can't I just say 'the plant is green'?" "No, no, no, no, terribly passive. 'The plant glistened greenly'. That's the ticket.")
Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks you guys! I feel a little better now. I probably do overuse the verb 'to be', but I don't find it to be nearly as offensive as some of the afforementioned English teachers do. Sometimes a plant really is green, and no action verbs exist to describe that greeness. (Ha! I almost wrote there are no action verbs....I'm getting better already )

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited January 27, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited January 27, 2004).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
And of course, sometimes plants really are passive, and not even in an aggressive way.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine, tell your critiquer that "was" in a sentence may mean the sentence is "static" (or "stative" if you will) but it doesn't necessarily mean the sentence is "passive."

So many people mix this up, and it could easily become a pet peeve. I try to remain calm about it, though.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I probably do overuse the verb 'to be'

Try writing an entire story without using it. Its very hard, but possible, and will probably help when you go back to normal writing...

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.