Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Rebellion

Author Topic: Rebellion
Magmasilk
Member # 2532

- posted      Profile for Magmasilk   Email Magmasilk         Edit/Delete Post 
Lit ficton, 3300ish words
Title: Rebellion

The Mongol marketplace resounded with the call of hawkers and the blare of brass trumpets. Camel trains from the eastern deserts filled the dirt-packed street. Soochow harlots, epicurean Cantons, and bankers from Shansi crowded the surrounding courtyard. Sun Yee-sen smiled as he smoothly cut his way through the horde. His braided queue trailed him like an ebony serpent as he quickly sidestepped a masseur working at a convenient corner. Ducking, he avoided the butcher blade of a bare-pated, long-coated Han, preparing venison. He walked swiftly like a man with purpose - Sun was going home. Through the din, he heard the masses swell in front of him. Powdered and rouged Manchu women in delicate hues of pink and lavender gathered, giggling like sprigs of plum blossoms in a gentle

i've lurked around for a couple of months. you guys seem better than most of the other forums i have peeked at (though a lot seem to have weird membership rules). 1st submission, do your worst!

[This message has been edited by Magmasilk (edited June 29, 2005).]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
My worst may not be so bad this time!

Nits: break into paragraphs, I think
It's hard for me to see why he'd need to duck under a butcher's knife

Probably too much description for my taste -- cut by half?

OTOH, I do like seeing the mktplace, and I would keep reading.

I'll read.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
As noted, a paragraph break or two might be an idea - it is a little dense at the moment, though to some extent that helps to evopke the crowded confusion of the marketplace.

The line "through the din, he heard the masses swell in front of him" doesn't work for me - I think you're trying to indicate that there is a particular mob of people up ahead, over and above the general confusion of the busy market, but it doesn't quite feel right.

But I'll definitely read.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting start. I'd like to read this. Send to fsilv01s@uis.edu.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Please send it to me also.

And I ditto wbriggs's comment about adding some paragraph breaks. You had some great stuff in there, but it was a little jumbled together.

- Oh, and this sentence

quote:
His braided queue trailed him like an ebony serpent

sounded strange, I imagined his queue trailing in the dusty street behind him. That's one long queue. How old is he?

[This message has been edited by NewsBys (edited June 28, 2005).]

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I had any problems with the metaphore of an ebony serpent for the braid. It was an interesting way to phrase it.

You did a nice job of tossing an interesting hook right there at the tail end of the 13. My only suggestion would be to round out your description with more than just the visual imput... mention what he smells and how he feels, too. That might give the description just a little more pep.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magmasilk
Member # 2532

Thx for all the comments ... im still working a couple of scenes so i was more curious about getting feedback on the intro/hook before sending out eventually ...

So to sum up the comments

negative: paragraph structure, some language choices, dense.

positive: a few hooks. painted the market place ok.

need more: protaginist's thoughts

missing any other comments? do you think i have to get pretty close the protaginist's thought? Are there enough hooks?

Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
You just need one hook, if that's what you're after. A lot of hooks are going to make us feel like you're trying too hard to grab our attention.
I agree with the paragraph breaks. I think the lack of them is what gives the piece this density, and it can be easily remedied.
I don't necessarily think that you need to show more of the protagonist's thoughts. You have chosen to open with an effective description of an alien place to give us a sense of atmosphere. I'm inclined to think that the character's thoughts would only detract from that.
You have an effective beginning as it is (apart from the missing paragraph breaks ). I would suggest you leave it as it is.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm starting to feel like a line-count Nazi. This is 17 lines, properly formatted (see FAQs. You should cut the last two sentences for posting. Of course, if you cut some of the description, you can get to that last sentence within the 13-line limit.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magmasilk
Member # 2532

Whoop - on the line count. I didn't realize times roman isn't a standard MS format.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.