Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » ADD Way Of Housekeeping

Author Topic: ADD Way Of Housekeeping
Charli
Member # 3699

- posted      Profile for Charli   Email Charli         Edit/Delete Post 
Below is the first 13 lines: Thanks for all comments.

Audience: ADHD Adults or others interested in subject

It is very obvious to most people upon entering my home that I do not relish the idea of housework. No, my home does not smell, is not dirty or repulsive, or at the point where it should be condemned. But, it is definitely the house of an ADD mom.
On top of my obvious issues with ADD, I am trying to cram five sons into this tiny 1300 square foot four bedroom, two bath house. Now add to this equation the fact that three of the boys, two teens and one age 5, are also ADHD. Can you even begin to imagine what life in my house is like?
Let me paint you a vivid picture. To do so accurately, I will need to get out the brightest neon crayons from the box.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the joke at the end: painting a vivid picture, with crayons.

I still think you're doing more prelimary than I would like -- that is, I'm tempted to skip. To me, what you have so far is saying, I'm about to tell you a story. I'd rather you not tell me you're going to tell me a story, but just begin. The cool stuff you have here will be just as cool if it emerges naturally from the story you have to tell.

What story _do_ you have to tell? That is, what's going to happen? Start there, I think.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charli
Member # 3699

I agree with you wbriggs, I can see the problems, am just having a hard time overcoming them. I am going to do some rewriting this weekend.

Keep up the comments, I NEED them.

Charli

Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

So let me ask you: if this were a movie or TV show, what's the first scene? Where does your story begin?
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charli
Member # 3699

I can see it beginning with a frizzy haired woman standing in a nicely decorated, yet piled high with miscellaneous junk surrounding her. She is yanking at her hair with a bewildered frantic look on her face.

Thanks for the question. I can see where this is going. It helps clarify things for me.

Is it okay to rewrite and then repost the new 13 lines?

I am new so want to make sure I follow rules.

Charli

wbriggs
Member # 2267

You can post a new version of the first 13. Many like for you to do it in the same thread, but it's not a rule.
MommaMuse
Member # 3622

- posted      Profile for MommaMuse   Email MommaMuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have anything to add but encouragement. wbriggs' suggestion is an excellent one that I'm going to apply to my own work. I tend to start like you do, but then again, I'm ADD! LOL
Posts: 105 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm noticing something in these fragments, you are always answering questions. It makes the essay feel like the transcipt from an interrogation. It sounds defensive.

I myself am ADD, and it is nice to read something about it by someone with it.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
My thought is that the character needs to check out www.flylady.com to get a handle on her housework
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charli
Member # 3699

AGain, thanks for the comments. Again, I agree! And, Elan, I am a big follower of flylady and also the slob sisters, who originally brought about flylady. I have read both books by Peggy and Patsy.

Thanks,

Charli

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
On the line of recommending reads, look up the work of Mary Roach, She does a column for Reader's digest (except when she's off writing a book like right now.) She doesn't usually write about her ADD but she has.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.