Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » 13 lines suspense action, feedback wanted

Author Topic: 13 lines suspense action, feedback wanted
aking
Member # 3722

- posted      Profile for aking   Email aking         Edit/Delete Post 
“If you want to kill a king, you first need to deal with a pawn or two.” They were the only words Ilone could remember her father saying. They haunted her at night, chanting in her dreams rhythmically, his soft deep voice pounding through her head until she would awake. She tried to remember more—his face, his smell, but nothing was as real as the voice, and when Ilone heard that voice again—she would know that her father had returned.
Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
This actually strikes me as funny, which probably wasn't the intention.

It may be that the line is kind of funny, and everything else in the snippet is about things that *aren't* happening -- Ilone doesn't see dad, doesn't smell him, doesn't remember him.

What is the thing about Ilone that should make us want to read about her?

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aking
Member # 3722

- posted      Profile for aking   Email aking         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the opening for a story a friend of mine is writing, so I'm not familar with the plot. However I know it is suppose to be a serious story.
Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreadlord
Member # 2913

- posted      Profile for dreadlord   Email dreadlord         Edit/Delete Post 
I got bored, and that takes a lot. your friend might want to spruce it up a little.
Posts: 240 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think it was funny, but I think wbriggs hits a good point -- this paragraph is about what's not happening.

That's especially important for the genre you claim this is supposed to be. Stuff happening is the definition of action, and suspense is the threat of things the could happen at any moment. Even if the writing were perfect, it wouldn't be good writing for that genre.

And consider the difference between character-driven and plot-driven stories. The current first page is all character, no plot, so the promise you're making to the reader is that plot will be subordinate to deep character development. I think you want the opposite.

[This message has been edited by oliverhouse (edited September 08, 2006).]

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricWiz
Member # 3801

- posted      Profile for EricWiz           Edit/Delete Post 
This doesn't really grab me. I don't feel for MC or her Father. Why is she haunted? Maybe this is not the best place to start the story?
E

Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious as to why we are doing this for someone's friend, and not the writer him/herself? Seems to me if the friend truly WANTS to be a better writer by joining forums like this in person, not by proxy.

I prefer to abstain from critiques in situations like this.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.