Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Christian novel

Author Topic: Christian novel
Darrell Allan Case
Member # 4078

- posted      Profile for Darrell Allan Case   Email Darrell Allan Case         Edit/Delete Post 
Below is the first thirteen sentences of a new novel I am currently working on. Any help critiqing it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Few ministers ever reach the pinnacle of success as David Padgett. Most labor in obscurity unknown outside their small church or circle of friends. Yet for all his world wide fame David felt as if he were standing on the edge of a chasm. One step in the wrong direction and he would plunge into a darkness so deep he could never recover.

Sighing he rose from his antique desk and coincided his office. The opulent Oak paneling gleamed reflecting the rich leather couch and chairs. At 15 x 25 the office was as big as his first church. Pictures of David with presidents, celebrities and two popes lined one wall. Edged in between were honorary doctorates from 3 colleges and commendations from 5 world leaders. A built in bookcase graced the other wall

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited October 21, 2006).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
Few ministers ever reach the pinnacle of success as David Padgett.
This sentence feels awkward, as if it is missing words. This obscures the meaning. Here are two possibilities that come to mind:
- "...the pinnacle of success the way David Padgett did" (implying that plenty of ministers reached that pinnacle, but not by the same means)
- "...the pinnacle of success, but David Padgett had" (implying that most ministers didn't reach that pinnacle, so David was unusual in his success)

Most labor in obscurity unknown outside their small church or circle of friends. Yet for all his world wide fame David felt as if he were standing on the edge of a chasm.
Between these two sentences, there is an abrupt change from present tense to past tense. That is jarring.

...David felt as if he were standing on the edge of a chasm. One step in the wrong direction and he would plunge into a darkness so deep he could never recover.
You never tell us why he feels that way, or what is causing it, even though he knows. By not telling us, you are hiding information from the reader. That's cheating. It's also teasing, since you won't tell us the one thing we want to know.

Sighing he rose from his antique desk and coincided his office.
I don't understand the bolded part. Are you sure 'coincide' is the verb you want?

The opulent Oak paneling gleamed reflecting the rich leather couch and chairs. At 15 x 25 the office was as big as his first church. Pictures of David with presidents, celebrities and two popes lined one wall. Edged in between were honorary doctorates from 3 colleges and commendations from 5 world leaders. A built in bookcase graced the other wall housing over a thousand books, many of it volumes signed by the author.
Inventories aren't interesting. At this point, I don't want an inventory of his office, I want to know what he's upset about.

“Even without the conference table my office cost more than the first church,” David said to himself.
My question: so what? You haven't given me any context for this remark. Is he a greedy man who is gleeful over how great his office is? Is he remorseful that he has let himself accept such oppulence? Is he proud that he was able to pay such an affordable price for his first church?

He turned to gaze out the full glass wall. His third story office afforded him a view of Grace Tabernacle’s 150 acre estate, the small village of Grafton and beyond.
More inventory.

Two things to work on:

1) We don't need a line-item inventory of his surroundings. Ask yourself if a particular detail is relevant to the story. Is it important that his office is 15 x 25, or will 'large' suffice? Does it really matter that his office is on the 3rd floor? Is there significance to the fact that the bookcase is built-in? Or that he owns signed volumes? You get the idea.

2) You offer us no clue about David's emotions or motivations. He turns to a window. He says something unrevealing to himself. Yes, he may plunge into darkness, but I don't know what that means to him. Is he afraid of that? Or perhaps weary and welcoming it? Is he angry? Lustful? Bottom line: what's going on inside him?

My dad's a clergyman, so the idea of a minister with that kind of success is interesting to me. I wonder how he (your character) will deal with it. I hope you'll continue to work on this story.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by sojoyful (edited October 20, 2006).]

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Just tell me http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/002716.html
Why the problem with the first 13 isn't that it isn't enough http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/002662.html

That is, I don't know why David's famous, or the main thing that this paragraph is about: why he feels endangered.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 

TO me, it seems your opening is a bit jerky. You lose focus and jump around first telling us one bit about how others are obscure then how he feels about something (his life?, his work? God?) unclear what and then back to listing things about him.

Few ministers ever reach the pinnacle of success as David Padgett. – I agree, you have this phrased wrong. This sounds like it should be a thesis statement. More like – Few ministers ever reach anywhere near the success of David Padgett.

Then…what you need are some sort of supporting statements. Three, probably. Either describing David’s success, or intimating his success by listing ways that most ministers are not.

Most ministers find no one outside their church or circle of friends knows about them
Their charitable works are limited by contributions in the offering plate every Sunday.
Their Sunday broadcast is carried only by the local 50 kilowatt radio station.

Then maybe a way to segue into David’s musing like – Few of them have an antique desk in a private office that cost more some churches.

Then go on with the pictures of him with presidents and celebrities etc. and finally home in on his musing about something more critical to the story…I assume his dissatisfaction with his life or what he’s accomplished or something. That one step from the chasm bit.

Of course you could do it by listing the opposite, how he has bodyguards and pr people with him when he goes anywhere, he announces a cause and millions of the faithful send checks, 500 tv stations carry his Sunday message in prime time.

Then go on with the pictures of him with presidents and celebrities etc. and finally home in on his musing about something more critical to the story…I assume his dissatisfaction with his life or what he’s accomplished or something. That one step from the chasm bit.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
The good news is that you have ability/talent as opposed to many who... well, you read a couple of lines and just know they have no hope. Their writing is cute at best.

Your text is somewhere between smooth and clumsy, sometimes a little of each. The cure... time and effort. Most of us don't have Ray Bradbury's gift and need to edit - a lot.

This opening is boring, like the start of an episode of Charlies Angels that I never saw because I changed the channel. We need to stare like it was a car accident we almost witnessed and are now dying to know exactly what happened before we consider the (tax free) oak paneling in his opulent office.

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Darrell, and welcome to Hatrack. Your first F&F is garnering you some conflicting advice. Sojoyful says:

quote:
Inventories aren't interesting. At this point, I don't want an inventory of his office, I want to know what he's upset about.

...and then you get Arriki:

quote:
More like – Few ministers ever reach anywhere near the success of David Padgett.

Then…what you need are some sort of supporting statements. Three, probably. Either describing David’s success, or intimating his success by listing ways that most ministers are not.

Personally, I disagree a little bit with Sojoyful: inventory can be interesting if it shows us something about the character. In this case, it shows us how Padgett defines "success": he's clearly focused on the wealth around him, and since he's feeling agitated, we get the vague sense that he's agitated about that. (It's only a vague sense, though, so you might want to come right out and say it.) So Sojoyful seems to say that you should cut out the description, but Arriki seems to say that you need more description (of a different type), while I disagree with both and think you're effectively characterizing your MC through the description that you have.

However, you're not home free. I think you have to strike a balance here. You have a _lot_ of description of Padgett's wealth, and not enough of why he's troubled. When I format this in Word, 1" margins and Courier New 12 point font, I see your last line as:

quote:
leaders. A built in bookcase graced the other wall housing over

That means that of your 136 words on page 1, only 40 of them (less than 30%) give us a sense that he's agitated, and none of them tell us why. The remaining 70% is _all_ description -- and not of a setting that is really unique, so it doesn't help draw us in. You can probably get about the same level of characterization in 1/4 to 1/2 the number of words.

Which brings me to a recommendation: cut your description to a few key details*. Even if you only cut the total description word count in half, you've still freed up about 50 words. Then use that extra space to tell us why he's agitated, and what the story's about.

* These details might include "15x25" rather than the more generic "large". I respectfully disagree with Sojoyful on this point, because I think specificity is crucial; built-in bookshelves holding leather-bound books say some specific things about the MC. I'm not saying that you should become generic; but you should (I think) remain specific about fewer things.

Hoping this helps,
Oliver

[This message has been edited by oliverhouse (edited October 20, 2006).]

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Personally, I disagree a little bit with Sojoyful: inventory can be interesting if it shows us something about the character.
I concede the point. You are absolutely correct here, Oliver. My bad, for generalizing.

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darrell Allan Case
Member # 4078

- posted      Profile for Darrell Allan Case   Email Darrell Allan Case         Edit/Delete Post 
A note to all who replied, sorry this is so late. I have been quite busy the last few days. Thank you for all your good advice I will be taking it into consideration as I do rewrites. Again, thank you.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.