Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Gone Ape &^$%

Author Topic: Gone Ape &^$%
Grand Admiral
Member # 3090

- posted      Profile for Grand Admiral           Edit/Delete Post 
The following's the first thirteen from an 8K sci-fi I'm writing with some dark humor elements thrown in the mix. Basic ideas what would happen if man kind died out and the rest of the planet evolved, inheriting out technology without ever having actually earned it. Just wanting to know if it's got everything a good hook needs, or if theres something missing; I'd be thankfull for any crits.

The monastery library proved so quiet Kay hadn’t heard the initial explosion, though he became aware of it soon afterward as he smelled the smoke. Cetaceans, it had to be; the bastards always did have it out for the apes; especially for those like Kay that had taken up the oath of Adam and cleaved off their tales. The closer to a human it was the more the dolphins hated it; they must have been envious of their divine beauty.

Reading could wait, kids couldn’t; he exited into the hall and began gathering up as many of the children as he could find, his first priority was to get them to safety. When he finally found them they looked more curious than worried, “Brother Kay, what’s that funny smell,” said one. “Yeah and what’s with the noise,” said another. How to handle this without making a panic...

[This message has been edited by Grand Admiral (edited October 22, 2006).]

Posts: 13 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
You might get us more of a hook up front by saying, when Kay became aware of the explosion, he was afraid that the children had been hurt, or he needed to evacuate them, whatever -- sentence 1. Show us up front what the danger is. (I'm all for explaining what we need of background, too, which you do.)

If the library is quiet, wouldn't that make him more likely to hear the boom? (And wouldn't hearing the boom work, in the story?)

Why are there children at a monastery?

I think my main problems are:
* PLanet of the Apes, ho-hum. You can overcome this, though, just by writing well.
* I can't picture the hall, and I don't know his relationship to the children, or how many there are, or any of the individuals.
* He doesn't seem particularly perturbed, just more businesslike. OK, but perturbed is more exciting.

What I like: I look forward to finding out how dolphins turn terrorist!

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not bad, but you might consider telling us what Kay noticed and how he reacted instead of telling us what he _didn't_ notice and how he deduced later (though apparently not much later) what had happened. That would clean up the way you handle time in the first sentence: it "proved so quiet" (this is the way it always is), "Kay hadn't heard" (counterfactual, but if it had happened it would have completed by now), "he became aware" (normal past) "as he smelled" (simultaneous with the last past-tense thing).

In other words: Kay smelled the smoke, realized that there must have been an explosion, realized that he didn't hear the explosion, decided that it must be because he was in the library. Then he thinks about the Cetaceans.

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The monastery library proved so quiet Kay hadn’t heard the initial explosion, though he became aware of it soon afterward as he smelled the smoke.

If it was quiet he _would_ have heard the explosion. I think what you meant is that the monastery was well isolated from sound. Anyway, this is not your hook. In a novel it might do, although it's not ideal, but in a short I care about what Kay did or saw, not about what he didn't hear and thought about afterwards. You're kind of implying by the tone that nothing really bad happened to him at the end of the day, "hadn't heard" after all implies that the subject is still alive at this instant to tell us about it. Past simple is much more direct, effective and it leaves the reader hanging there. It feels immediate and it doesn't give the impression that the story is being told after everything occured and people are happily tucked in bed.

quote:
Cetaceans, it had to be; the bastards always did have it out for the apes; especially for those like Kay that had taken up the oath of Adam and cleaved off their tales. The closer to a human it was the more the dolphins hated it; they must have been envious of their divine beauty.

This is interesting info but it should come after some kind of hook, something that will give me a reason to care. The hook is the kids. I can relate to people trying to get kids out of danger, even if they are monkeys. I think you should start your first phrase with him freaking out for the kids.

Hope that helps

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Salimasis
Member # 2490

- posted      Profile for Salimasis           Edit/Delete Post 
... especially for those like Kay that had taken up the oath of Adam and cleaved off their tales.

Tales are stories. Tails are spinal appendages. I assume the latter word is what you intended.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it although I had some of the same issues others have already mentioned.

Instead of:

quote:
Cetaceans, it had to be; the bastards always did have it out for the apes; especially for those like Kay that had taken up the oath of Adam and cleaved off their tales.

Why don't you tell me up front they the likely "terrorists" are dolphins? I liked the ape v. dolphin set up. I'd hope that the attacks are frequent to justify his non-emotional response to the dolphins blowing up part of the monastary that he lives in.

The kids dialog seemed a bit contrived and cliche. Wouldn't they be freaking out? Again, the emotion falls flat.

Good luck on the edits. This seems interesting.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.