Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Las Palomas

Author Topic: Las Palomas
Lovetowrite
Member # 4254

- posted      Profile for Lovetowrite   Email Lovetowrite         Edit/Delete Post 
“Where is she, Abuelita?” I asked, stomping my feet, trying to stay warm in the cold night. “Where's the Nice Lady?”

But my Abuelita, my grandma, had that serious look she only wore when she was frightened or upset about something. Like when I was much younger, and stuffed raw pinto beans up my nose. When I went inside our house to tell my Abuelita I was the bean stuffing champion she got that same look she had on now. Then she went into a fit of crossing herself, and screaming for neighbors to come help her take the beans out of my nose before they sprouted and I ended up with a nose bigger than Señor Juan down the street.

But now my Abuelita was silent. She had even stopped craning her neck to look for the Nice Lady. She was motionless, her big

[This message has been edited by Lovetowrite (edited November 12, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 13, 2006).]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you've got some good structure here, and some tricks of the trade that work (dropping in relevant detail).

The main thing I want to know -- as soon as it's mentioned -- is, who's the Nice Lady? The rest doesn't matter so much (except relationship to grandma).

I want to know where they are (outdoors at a fair? coming home from somewhere?).

I was puzzled by Abuelita's reaction to the pinto beans. I don't know if this means she's crazy, or what.

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited November 13, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited November 13, 2006).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt the pinto bean comparison went on just a little long. I kept wanting things to get back to the relevant, but the beans just kept coming.

You could chop off that last bean sentence and it would have felt just right to me. It was at that point that I was mentally expecting things to get back to the story at hand, therefore I mentally read that it was so, then surprised that we were still talking about the beans.

Other than that, I think this is well done, and at this point I wouldn't mind reading on.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
januson
Member # 4194

- posted      Profile for januson   Email januson         Edit/Delete Post 
better opening lines would be to separate the action from the dialogue, rather than packing so much into one sentence. like this:

“Where is she, Abuelita?” I asked. I stomped my feet, trying to stay warm in the cold night. “Where's the Nice Lady?”

a simple change in punctuation and, at least in my opinion, it flow better

the imagery in the beat stuffing description is nice and evocative

and, i am wondering who the "nice lady" is, so i'd read more

Posts: 37 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
This has a nice flavor. I had a problem with the description being a little abstract.

"But my Abuelita, my grandma, had that serious look she only wore when she was frightened or upset about something."

For me the ending would be better if it read:

"My Abuelita, my grandma, had that serious look she wears when she is upset."

It's a little more concrete and less wordy and I like my narration to be concrete. I too sometimes struggle with being concrete- I think English speakers really don't like to say what we mean. We prefer people to guess. For example you might think "I do not wish to go out with you. Ever." But you say "I'm sorry maybe some other time." The actual meaning is left to the hearer to figure out for himself. You hear people say "Can't she just take a hint?"

Well the problem with that is for the most part readers do not want to take a hint they want to be told what is happening and why. (Except of course for secrets or mysteries). Much of my own rewriting is going back and eliminating any wishy washiness on the part of my narrator.

For a year my wife and I had published a fiction magazine and we had to read dozens of stories a day, seven days a week. Your intro is better than 80% of what we recieved (sometimes from published writers.) If I picked this book up I would be hooked to read a little more. The majority of the books I pick up, I don't get past the first paragraph before I put it down.

JB Skaggs

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovetowrite
Member # 4254

- posted      Profile for Lovetowrite   Email Lovetowrite         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks JBSkaggs for taking the time to write that. It's encouraging. And thanks to all who have given their thoughts.
By the way Abuelita is not crazy. This story takes place in Mexico. I can see the confusion if you're not familiar with Mexican people and their culture. But if you have ever been to Mexico or have any intimate friends who are Latin, you can appreciate that Abuelita's reaction to Benito stuffing pinto beans up his nose is funny and very typical. lol

[This message has been edited by Lovetowrite (edited November 15, 2006).]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
If what you care about is English-speaking readers, then you'll do well to write with them in mind. It doesn't matter how right you are or how much the reader ought to know what you're talking about; if he doesn't enjoy the story, he won't keep reading.

But we're getting perilously close to arguing with critiques. Not a good practice. Previous discussion on this: Arguing with critiques
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/001622.html

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.