Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » "hindsight" first 13

Author Topic: "hindsight" first 13
januson
Member # 4194

- posted      Profile for januson   Email januson         Edit/Delete Post 
a completed short story that takes some science fiction ideas and places them squarely into a fantasy world:

---

When the cart of breadloafs hit her, Honeysuckle didn’t see it, and she was of a mind that, less Parrow willed it, she would never see anything ever again. But, she’d spent enough of her childhood exploring every corner of Feedertown that thisday, even without her sight, she could get about fairly easily. Often, she’d miss a wandering dummalo or watercart by less than a onefoot, much to her mere’s dismay. She was sure Feederfolk marveled at her ability, but mostly she didn’t care to impress them so much as she cared to avoid them. With no clearcut future in town any longer, Honeysuckle wished she could go off on an adventure, never to return. But, she was just a blind jenny, too young and helpless to make it anywhere but about town. She didn’t even go to Faraway Castle anymore to help with

* edited to fix a typo i hadn't noticed before

[This message has been edited by januson (edited November 18, 2006).]

Posts: 37 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
This confused me. There are a lot of commas and really long sentences and several words I am not sure what they meant. I didn't have any feeling of urgency- if she can stand there and ponder her life after she'd just been hit by a cart it doesn't create tension for me.

This of course is just my opinion.

JB Skaggs

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
berserc
Member # 4273

- posted      Profile for berserc   Email berserc         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this moves a little fast. I would try to shorten the sentences and remove the commas. I would also focus on maybe one or two thoughts here insted of letter him mind wander so much.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
januson
Member # 4194

i must say i am intrigued by the idea that my bit, with overly long sentences, can be taken as moving too fast

i was always under the impression that shorter sentences meant moving faster, so to speak

Posts: 37 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

- posted      Profile for Swimming Bird           Edit/Delete Post 
I would recommend reading up on how to properly use commas.
Posts: 151 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
The fragment confused me, too. Consider:

1. The first sentence says she didn't see something ("the cart of breadloafs"), then -- if I'm not mistaken -- tells me that that's because she's blind? And that only Parrow (deity or master?) can make her see again? So right off the bat, I'm a little wary of what you're trying to say.

2. It seems that getting hit with a cart of loaves of bread would be important enough to discuss, but you don't talk about it at all. Does that mean that the cart with the loaves of bread was what caused her to go blind? (If so, then you're literally opening with a flashback, and then moving to real time, which is confusing because people expect "The cart ran into Honeysuckle" to be in the story's "real time" -- "The cart had run into Honeysuckle" would be in the story's past.) Or are you going to eventually get back to discussing what happened thisday? (If so, then the discussion about Honeysuckle's blindness is a digression from the accident.)

3. "She'd miss a wandering dummalo or watercart by less than a onefoot" doesn't tell me what she's doing -- riding a bike? running? walking? delivering the mail? -- but apparently what she's doing is important, because you tell me a few moments later that there's "no clearcut future in it any longer" (without identifying what "it" is).

4. What's a "mere"? Normally I'd interpret this to mean a body of water, as in Beowulf or modern French; but maybe you mean "mare"? Or something else?

I got the sense of the fragment going too fast, too -- but not that _Honeysuckle_ was experiencing something happening rapidly; rather, I got a blur of images coming at me, without a clear thread.

I suggest that you take Honeysuckle and think of the two or three things you most want your reader to know about her (perhaps "she's blind, she's anxious to get out of this little town, but she fears leaving the security of the town"); then take the situation that makes your story important, whatever conflict there is or whatever issue she has, and decide how you want the reader to see that; and then focus on making the reader clearly understand exactly what situation Honeysuckle is in, and on making the reader know those key things about Honeysuckle that you had decided on.

I'm unpublished, so you don't have to take my word for it, but that's what it looks like to me.

Regards,
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
januson
Member # 4194

a few quick answers:

1. the cart hitting her (in the past) made her blind. parrow is effectively a deity.

2. the accident itself DOES come up again, in much detail at the end of the story

3. she's walking about town and never bumping into anything. this is clearer later, but could be reworded here. and, as for the "clearcut future in it" that is actually a typo i didn't notice. i think i changed the end of the sentence and neglected to change the pronoun. "it" refers to the town. (and i just fixed that typo so it doesn't come up again)

4. mere is mother

the opener is quick: honeysuckle is blind but gets around well enough, but still wants to get out of feedertown to have an adventure. in the rest of the story, she gets a more local adventure, involving a talking mountain cat, an eye transplant (of sorts) and time travel (again, of sorts). the latter is why the accident doesn't really get much detail until later

[This message has been edited by januson (edited November 18, 2006).]

oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
> the opener is quick: honeysuckle is blind but gets around
> well enough, but still wants to get out of feedertown to
> have an adventure.

Well said! Now make your introduction that clear.

> a few quick answers:

Okay, but since your reader won't have you at the other end of a network connection to explain it now (if you want my advice) you should make the necessary bits of this clearer in the text.

> 1. the cart hitting her (in the past) made her blind.

This can be a momentary flashback, since it's in the past. "She avoided a blurgle by a mere onefoot. Since she was four and became blind when a bread cart slammed into her, she had memorized every inch of the town...."

> parrow is effectively a deity.

Your original phrasing made that a plausible guess, but Parrow might not matter enough to mention on your first page.

> 2. the accident itself DOES come up again, in much
> detail at the end of the story

Okay, but since it's in the story past, I'd leave the details until later and still have as little as possible about it now. The important thing is that it made her blind; but what kind of trouble is she into _right now_ that would make me want to read the story?

> 3. she's walking about town and never bumping into
> anything.

So it's a general thing, not a part of her job or anything. You might consider showing this in a very specific way -- an accident narrowly avoided, in which she hears a townsman gasping, maybe.

> 4. mere is mother

You have enough slightly-off-but-understandable sets of words in here that you might consider leaving "mother" as "mother", or a closer derivative.

> honeysuckle...wants to get out of feedertown to
> have an adventure.

My only concern about this is that it seems too generic. What is it that's specific to _her_ and her situation that makes me want to read on?

In the Hobbit, it was the fact that Bilbo _didn't_ want an adventure, but Gandalf demanded it of him. In other stories, people are driven out of town by family, priests, warriors, whatever. Just pure wanderlust? Unless the character has something unique about her, I'm not likely to care all that much. Wanderlust in an effort to show the world that she can get by while blind? Okay... Wanderlust because she's sick of knowing every last step of the town too well, looking for a piece of turf that's unmemorized? Maybe, if there's something there. But I'm guessing, based on the clues you've given, that there's more, or at least much more that you could think up that would make me say, "Yeah, that's interesting..."

Good luck,
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not telling you to rewrite your story's plot, nor am I telling you I can write this better than you. But when a critiquer has a good idea I like to hear it. So maybe your like me. So I have a suggestion you might like:

An immediate and believable hook would be that the town is afraid of her and that she has to leave to save her life. I mean a blind girl who can "see" would cause the superstitious louts to hate and fear her maybe even as a witch. But she really can't see, she's a genius who memorized the entire town and now must survive in an alien and strange world. The breadcart was a murder attempt and the trigger for her to flee. Or something like that.

Anyway it's just a thought. Disregard it if you think I am being too forward.

JB Skaggs

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest you tell the reader what you tell the critiquers -- something like:

Honeysuckle had been blind ever since the cart of breadloafs hit her.

I think you have the right idea about telling us her situation up front, but the way you said it, I didn't understand. To be "of a mind" means "decide" in my vocabulary, so I thought she thinking, I don't ever want to stop being blind (!).

To me, being hit by a cart of bread seems funny. I'd say: change it, or play it up, but do notice it!

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lascorpia64
Member # 4179

- posted      Profile for lascorpia64   Email lascorpia64         Edit/Delete Post 
I hesitate to say much here since you were so helpful on my intro; and I wouldn't want to offend right off the bat.

I understood that Mere was mother. I believe it is French or something close. think maybe a rearrangement of events is mostly what you need for clarity. If the sentences are rearranged, it makes it clearer that Parrow is some sort of deity or at the very least an overlord. I don't know any other way to get my point across than to take your words and arrange them in another order.

You could arrange it this way:

Honeysuckle had spent enough of her childhood exploring every corner of Feedertown. She could get about fairly easily, even without her sight. When the cart of breadloafs hit her, she hadn't seen it, nd she was of a mind that, less Parrow willed it, she would never see anything ever again.Often, she’d miss a wandering dummalo or watercart by less than a onefoot, much to her mere’s dismay. She was sure Feederfolk marveled at her ability, but mostly she didn’t care to impress them so much as she cared to avoid them.(Here I would drop the clearcut future part) Honeysuckle wished she could go off on an adventure, never to return. But, she was just a blind jenny, too young and helpless to make it anywhere but about town. She didn’t even go to Faraway Castle anymore to help with

Posts: 13 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
januson
Member # 4194

i don't have the complete story with me at the moment, but i thought i'd have a go at a couple minor changes to my first 13. reference to the cart of breadloafs has been removed as that is important later and, apparently, was confusing up front

---

Less Parrow willed it, Honeysuckle would never see anything again. But, she’d spent enough of her childhood exploring every corner of Feedertown that thisday, even without her sight, she could get about fairly easily. Often, while walking about town, she’d miss a watercart or a wandering dummalo by less than a onefoot, much to her mere’s dismay. She was sure Feederfolk marveled at her ability, but mostly she didn’t care to impress them so much as she cared to avoid them. With no clearcut future in the town any longer, Honeysuckle just wished she could go off on an adventure, never to return. But, she was just a blind jenny, too young and helpless to make it anywhere but about town. She didn’t even go to Faraway castle anymore to help with deliveries.

lascorpia64
Member # 4179

- posted      Profile for lascorpia64   Email lascorpia64         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds better to me. You didn't have to change what you wrote to start with much to make it more readable.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I still have a question. You use the term "jenny" which to me means "female donkey" is she a person or a not?

It could be just me but the horsey set might trip over that word especially where Honeysuckle sounds like a name a kid would give to a horse and "mere" isn't too far off from "mare."

Anyway, other than a word issue, which most likely is just me, I like it.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
januson
Member # 4194

in this brief bit, some of the terminology in the world in which the story is set might not be so obvious yet, but, from the few people who have read my gardea stories (this is only one set in the same world as several others) the terminology works over time fairly well

for the record here:

jenny=girl
mere=mother
parrow=jesus christ (sorta)
dummalo=cow (though physically a cross between a buffalo and a camel)

and there are a lot of compound words we wouldn't use but which are easily understood, like breadloaf or onefoot

[This message has been edited by januson (edited November 22, 2006).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.