Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Genesis - Sci-Fi Short Story

Author Topic: Genesis - Sci-Fi Short Story
SimonMRhees
Member # 2777

- posted      Profile for SimonMRhees   Email SimonMRhees         Edit/Delete Post 
First thirteen lines. Critiques appreciated. Anyone willing to read the rest (4000ish words) would be much appreciated. Thanks so much everybody.

Evie looked at her husband, squeezing her hands together tightly. Mada could tell, without even glancing over, that she was agitated. A dirty, lazy light poured in through their apartment window, illuminating floating dust particles. The small fan in the corner rattled, stirring dead air. Her eyes sat heavily on him, but he wasn’t going to surrender.
She sighed loudly and said, “Mada, come on. We should do something. You’ve been waiting for them to call for three days. You have to do something. Please, I can’t stand this.”
He bit his lip, choking back his frustration. Slowly he said, “I can’t. They said, once we arrived, I needed to wait by the phone. You know this. We’ve been over it a thousand times already. Why don’t you go for a walk? You don’t need me.”

Posts: 22 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Which person are you telling the story through? We start with Evie but hear Mada's thoughts. It might be in my opinion better to start with and stick with the main character. Many publishers do not like to jump between points of view in the same scene.

The first 13 here does create a tension of wanting to know who is calling and why.

JB Skaggs

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Salimasis
Member # 2490

- posted      Profile for Salimasis           Edit/Delete Post 
First nit is that eyes don't "sit" on someone (Her eyes sat on him....) They may look, gaze or stare at someone. More appropriate wording would be: "She stared at him for a long time."

You have created a bit of a mystery with your opening, but with too much detail on the surroundings and not enough on the characters and why they are sitting in a dingy apartment staring at a telephone. More who and why up front is a stronger hook, then offer details about the surroundings.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
These are my suggestions. (Because I have no idea what's happening.)

Keeping secrets from the reader http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/002021.html

Why the problem with the first 13 isn't that it's too short
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/002662.html

Just tell me http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/002716.html

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SimonMRhees
Member # 2777

- posted      Profile for SimonMRhees   Email SimonMRhees         Edit/Delete Post 
The story is told from Evie's viewpoint. The beginning did feel a little odd, and I couldn't place why. Sorry. I'm kind of new to this.
I'll switch it around, so the details follow the story. And lastly, the mystery kind of is the story. It is revealed soon as events unfold, moving into the real bulk of the story. The phone call is just secondary. It is too boring? I mean, the phone call mystery is answered in a short while, but I was using it to create tension. Is that bad? I mean, it doesn't last forever...just a short while. I read that post (thank you wbriggs) on keeping secrets, and it still doesn't seem like it's in the banned and bad. Just unconventional. Is there more reasons for not doing it that I haven't grasped?

Thanks for the input!!! More is welcome, if you have it!

Posts: 22 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SimonMRhees
Member # 2777

Okay, so now that I've thought about it more, you're right. If I write it well, I don't need to keep it a secret from the reader. Sorry. I think I fixed it. I'll repost it in a little while. (I think I need to stare at it some more).
Thanks again.

Simon

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.