Hatrack River Writers Workshop
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been transferred to this forum: Fragments and Feedback for Novels.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » First 13 lines - Untitled fantasy novel

Author Topic: First 13 lines - Untitled fantasy novel
Terloch
Member # 4703

- posted      Profile for Terloch   Email Terloch         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first lines from what I'm guessing will be the prologue to the novel I'm writing, I'm currently at about 70,000 words or so, but it's disjointed in parts and there's missing sections. Anyways, I'm rambling, so here's my 13...

-----

As was common practice in nearly any realm where magic had taken hold, a process developed over time in where those with the talent for the arcane were found, and in turn trained to use their powers “correctly”. Kirganthis was no different, and upon children entering the summer of their eighth year, they were to be evaluated, not only for their potential, but their inherent magical power as well. Boys and girls, noble and common alike, all went through the same procedure, most families willingly putting their children through the rigors of the Tests, for it was quite prestigious to have a member of your family be trained at one of the centers of magic, be it of any of the major paths.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grijalva
Member # 3295

- posted      Profile for Grijalva   Email Grijalva         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. It drops a lot of info off instead of starting the story, I still enjoyed it, but some other readers might not.

The only thing that was a problem for me, is that it reminded me of Harry Potter...

Posts: 98 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RillSoji
Member # 1920

- posted      Profile for RillSoji   Email RillSoji         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it but I do agree that it's a lot of info to start off with. The hook for me was when you mentioned 'Tests' with a capital T. That perked my interest and I can see myself reading on if only to find out what these Tests were. Especially if they're given at so young an age.
Posts: 125 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donelle
Member # 4677

- posted      Profile for Donelle   Email Donelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm… This seems like your typical fantasy opening to me. I’m thinking, why shouldn’t I just crack open a copy of Earthsea?

You begin, “As was common practice in nearly any realm where magic had taken hold…” I almost took this to read, “Just like in every other story with magic in it…”

You then go on to say, “Kirganthis was no different.” Then why should I care about him/her/it (is this a place or a person. This should be clear.)?

But I’m sure your story is unique, with unique characters and events. I think that’s what you should let us see in the beginning. And is a prologue really necessary here? The idea of a magic school isn’t so hard to grok. This could easily be picked up in the prose. And if you must talk about this magic school in the onset, then tell us what’s so interesting about it and why it differs from say, Hogwarts or Earthsea’s Wizard School?

You hint at a well crafted and well thought out world in your prologue. But it’s only the slightest of hints. If you must stick with a prologue, I would like your world to really shine here. I want to see it crystal clear in my minds eye. I want to look forward to immersing myself in its vibrant cultures and customs. Or I want to know why your protag is so special? Why I should take the time get to know him/her? I want to know why I should read 70,000 + words about his/her life story.

I know it’s a Novel so you have a bit more liberty in getting to the hook. But as it stands, there’s nothing here to hook me.

Also, the language doesn’t do it for me. Instead of sounding archaic it just sounds stilted and awkward. I would not look forward to reading 70,000 words of the same.

I’m almost certain you have a good work on your hands, it just does not show in these 13 lines.

Best!
-Donelle

Posts: 44 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terloch
Member # 4703

Amusingly, the "hook" so to speak in the prologue happens right after the 13-line fragment, that's just the intro of it, so to speak, which is why it may not make immediate sense what's going on or if it's hopefully worth reading further...

If anyone would like a crack at the whole prologue so it makes a bit more sense (hopefully), drop me an email at cbwebber@gmail.com and I'll send it to you for an eval...

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
This doesn't interest me; partly it's those messages you have to be careful about ("this kingdom is no different" suggests "this story will be no different"). You can fix this by saying "but this kingdom was different, in that ..."

But also it's that you're describing a schedule of examinations, which isn't the most interesting topic.

Also there are no characters yet, although that can be OK.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Basically, you have an engaging voice, which is nice, but you're not saying anything interesting or even informative.

quote:
As was common practice in nearly any realm where magic had taken hold, a process developed over time in where those with the talent for the arcane were found, and in turn trained to use their powers “correctly”.

This is virtually a tautology as far as I can tell. What else does it mean for magic to "take hold" in a realm other than that the instruction becomes institutionalized so that you have a reliable supply of mages?

quote:
...they were to be evaluated, not only for their potential, but their inherent magical power as well.

Okay, how does "inherent magical power" differ from "potential" in this usage? I'm almost certain anyone would read those as meaning something like innate talent for magic.

quote:
Boys and girls, noble and common alike, all went through the same procedure, most families willingly putting their children through the rigors of the Tests

Here you do something interesting, but I'm not sure you do so intentionally. You say that everyone went through the tests, and most did so with the cooperation of their family. Given the rather silly tautology and redundancy preceding this, it is far from clear whether it is your intent to emphasize by contrast that some families were forced to allow their children to be tested under duress.

Overall, the voice is okay. The organization of information, such as it is, either fails utterly or is playing the kind of cute little game that really can become annoying very rapidly. I'd turn the page, but I'd mentally be betting against turning another, because the next page will have to be extraordinary to be worth it. You can send me the prologue, but I can tell you already that I probably won't read all of it.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Amusingly, the "hook" so to speak in the prologue happens right after the 13-line fragment, that's just the intro of it, so to speak, which is why it may not make immediate sense what's going on or if it's hopefully worth reading further...

Terloch, your "13 lines" are actually only 11 lines (see, people, I do let you know if you can post more of your manuscript as well as cutting you off when you post too much).

If your hook is right after what you posted, you can add a couple more lines to include it. Just click on the little pencil and paper icon (the one furthest from your name) and you will see a dialog box in which you can edit your post.

If you make sure that your manuscript lines don't disappear as you type in more (in other words, make sure that your 13 lines fill the dialog box but no more than fill it), you will have exactly 13 lines.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaldea
Member # 4707

- posted      Profile for Chaldea   Email Chaldea         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as evetryone here is offering VERY direct advice, without restraint (I like it), here goes:

I don't think the 12th or 13th lines will help win me over. Did you say this is a prologue? Even so, some of the best prologues i've read are action packed. This is all intellectual explanation and very passive. The information you offer here can be brought out in your story. My advice would be to put the reader right into the thick of things from word one. Open the story in a classroom of very nervous, potential students taking this prestigious test. Maybe the proctor makes an announcement that he will not waste his time or their parents time (or money) with goof offs or cheaters. This shows how serious the matter is. Show us. Put us IN the story. Then zero in on your protagonist. The details will work themselves in.

Chaldea

Posts: 75 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stormshine
Member # 3687

- posted      Profile for Stormshine           Edit/Delete Post 
"As was common practice in nearly any realm where magic had taken hold, a process developed over time in where those with the talent for the arcane were found, and in turn trained to use their powers “correctly”."

This sentence doesn't really flow well for me. I think you can do without the 'in' in 'in where those'. Also, it would probably help to split this into two sentences.

I'm not really a fan of prologues in fantasy at all, but that's partly just personal preference. One of the reasons this hook doesn't really catch my interest is because it seems to say that magic isn't, in fact, all that interesting in this world. It's just a normal thing that lots of people have and nothing to be surprised about. I like surprises.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I'm guessing that the hook is one of those families that don't want their child to be tested for magic potential. But this opening really does feel rather coy.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terloch
Member # 4703

Survivor, you hit it on the head. In this case, the child in question actually does have magical talent, but the father doesn't want him to go through the process, this is revealed in a vignette between the parents with the child in question overhearing the conversation between them.

The main story is that child as an adult, thus the reason behind the prologue.

Any suggestions for making this not so coy and predictable are welcome, I will happily re-write...

I can also post the first 13 of the actual story if people want to see that...

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a possible way of doing it, if the POV character is the father:

quote:
When John was eight summers old, his older brother Thomas passed the king's examination for magical ability. Thomas went away to the capital to study, and John never saw him again.

Now they wanted to test John's son William.

I'm not saying this is great prose here, but you see, we get a problem immediately (not a requirement, perhaps, but we need something), and we get personal. It's no longer a social studies textbook, but a family's problem.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
The hook for me was:
quote:
Boys and girls, noble and common alike, all went through the same procedure, most families willingly putting their children through the rigors of the Tests . .

Your summary confirmed that this is where your story starts or at least one possible starting point. Start there. Don't give me a history lesson. While your voice was nice, I didn't have any faith that the story wouldn't get lost in exposition. Like Survivor, I'm hoping you intended to make the distinction and that we are going to go from there.

Also, the fact that you said "actual story" in your last post makes me wonder about the prologue. . .

Does the reader really need the prologue? While you may have needed it to understand the world, does the reader need it i.e how does it move the plot. Since many people (even those on this board) say they skip prologues, you might want to really consider if you want it. The prologue needs to be part of the story even if the reader doesn't understand how it fits right away, if not you might lose more readers than you gain by having one.

Another way of handling it is to show what the father does to keep the child from being tested. An overheard discussion between the parents about the testing doesn't seem to be the most compelling way to engage a reader. I might give up on the story if the prologue was too much of an info dump or very long.

That being said, how long is the prologue?

Edit - must remember how to do quotes!

[This message has been edited by kings_falcon (edited January 08, 2007).]

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

You can't really make an opening less coy and less predictable, at least not on purpose. "Coy" means that you're deliberately trying to make it hard for the reader to figure out where you're going, anything that you do with the purpose of making it harder is more coy.

There is only one legitimate way to make an opening really hard to figure out...come up with a genuinely novel concept. In that case, you would be working your butt off to make it as accessable as possible so that at least a few of your readers could figure out the story you're telling. And you would fail, which would be crappy and disheartening.

From what you've said, this prologue seems entirely unnecessary. It tells us nothing that we can't find out far more compellingly from the main character's POV later in life, including a reminiscense of that overheard conversation.

Chaldea
Member # 4707

I agree with Survivor: No prologue, unless you're George Lucas and have to back pedal to fit in the three movies that should have come first. LOL I would write the entire story and THEN think about the possibility of a prologue and if I needed one. Survivor's brief flashback idea is good, too.

I'm getting the idea that the fantasy writers here believe they need a fairy tale or mythic prologue or beginning for chapter one. You may shoot me down in flames, but I don't agree. I think this approach is totally boring to get dragged through several pages of history before the story begins. Save the telling for your character's inner dialogue or other narrative segues.

Someone please remind me what Bilbo Baggins was doing as The Hobbit opens on the first page. Wasn't he doing something, or did Tolkien narrate the history of Middle Earth? Wasn't Bilbo fuming inside his house, looking for the ring he'd lost again? I can't remember for sure. I read it 36 years ago. I also remember the habits of hobbits in the beginning.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Chaldea (edited January 09, 2007).]

Posts: 75 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Bilbo doesn't have the ring at the beginning of The Hobbit and Tolkien does tell us quite a bit about the history of hobbits, though not much about the rest of Middle Earth.

The thing is, Tolkien's concept of hobbits really was extraordinary. They were "little people" of a sort, but completely unmagical, actually more prosaic than humans. Bilbo is a middle-aged bachelor with zero inclinations towards adventure (or confrontation, a trait that Gandalf exploits rather handily). I'm sure that the sheer novelty of the idea (at the time) was a big part of the attraction. And it probably did require careful explanation, even today I think that you'd have to make it very clear if you wanted to say that your fantasy hero wasn't going to develop any magic powers along the way.

Anyway, this is this, that is that. I'm not opposed to prologues in general, even though I don't feel that every story benefits from one. The only reason to have it is if the events of the prologue have a major impact on our interest in the story, in this case, the POV character is who he is largely because of the events surrounding the beginning of his magical training. If you show us him, you'll be showing us everything about those events that has any importance.

Chaldea
Member # 4707

Well, ok, Bilbo didn't have the ring and Tolkien did prattle on about history and personality quirks. I'll concede. But somehow he made all that stuff interesting. Maybe you're right; the whole adult fantasy thing was new then, a novelty.

At any rate, the key to all this prologue thing, I think, is to give the reader plenty of active visuals. I believe Tolkien did that. Wordiness and intellectualizing for no apparent purpose makes me crazy. (Or is it just too late here and I'm crabby?) I remember when i wrote for my high school newspaper, I thought I was hot stuff when i could make a sentence as long as possible, something like a Hemmingway marathon, one phrase after another connected with commas and semicolons. I read these wonderous concoctions a few years later and realized how boring my pieces were. When I learned visuals, rhythm and pacing, my work became more dynamic and a much better read. I'm no Tolkien, by any means. I wouldn't even want to write that. . . too tiring. But I really think that when setting and history are needed, it's got to be done with active visuals in a unique voice.

Chaldea

Survivor
Member # 213

A "Hemmingway marathon"? Um, Hemmingway has often been cited for his clean, uncluttered prose. Perhaps you mean to reference Faulkner? Both were very descriptive, which is exactly what the currently mooted opening is not.
Chaldea
Member # 4707

Nyet. I do mean Hemmingway. Extraordinarily long winded. I get this choked feeling, waiting for him to finish a thought and change direction. He wears me out. I am a black sheep of the entire reading community because I don't care for Hemmingway. I noted one page in particular in "Death in the Afternoon" where the entire page in trade format was one sentence in 10 or 11 point type. Now that's a sentence, but not in a good way, in my opinion. But descriptive? Yes, I'll give him that.
Survivor
Member # 213

Hmmm...I guess that I'm not a grammarian. I only care about syntax.

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.