Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » far future

Author Topic: far future
BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

- posted      Profile for BruceWayne1   Email BruceWayne1         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how this flows. Any advice would be helpful.

“Captain Lotus; bridge,” the bulkhead panel repeated.
Captain Hansson Lotus clenched his jaws in irritation at the interruption, “Excuse me gentlemen,” he said to the six captains assembled in his state room. It had taken him four months to coordinate this meeting; he had given orders not to be disturbed.
“Bridge; this is the captain,” a displacement hatch opened in the bulkhead giving the captain instant access to the main bridge.
“Sir we are tracking an event horizon. It is on an intercept vector and will arrive in less than four minutes,”
“Another ship?” He knew the odds were against it being another ship this far below the galactic plane.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited January 09, 2007).]

Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donelle
Member # 4677

- posted      Profile for Donelle   Email Donelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of tracking an “Event Horizon.” It says a lot about your world in just a few words. I’m guessing we’re talking about FTL travel here? Then you introduce the concept of some other entity with the ability to use the same type of black hole propulsion as the ships. I really want to know who or what this entity is? Why it’s such a threat, what’s going to happen to the ship and its crew and How the captain will react? You have an excellent opportunity to show us what your captain is made of. His reactions and actions will be very important. Pay very close attention to this as he is the POV character.

You have a good opener on your hands. I’m hooked!

Hmm... Rereading there's one more thing... You introduce the chosen but the reader not precisely sure how to feel about them. (but maybe that's good) My vague impression is that they're bad news. Perhaps you could punch it up a bit by making the captain react a bit. Or maybe you can use a sprinkle of foreshadowing.

The flow isn’t perfect, though I’m not sure I would have noticed if you didn’t say so yourself. Immediately I saw one line that could be cut. Also, you start off with dialogue but it's not clear who's speaking.

quote:

“Bridge to Captain Lotus!” the bulkhead panel repeated. Captain Hansson Lotus clenched his jaws in irritation at the interruption. “Excuse me gentlemen,” he said to the six captains assembled in his state room. It had taken him four months to coordinate this meeting; he had given strict orders not to be disturbed. Unless of course it was an Emergency, 'with a capitol E.'

“Captain speaking.”

“Sir we are tracking an event horizon. It is on an intercept vector and will arrive in less than four minutes.”

“Another ship?” Unlikely. Not this far below the galactic plane. Still, he hoped.

“No sir too small, too fast.” Every man in the small state room knew that meant one thing; it was a Chosen.

Hope this helps.

Best!
-Donelle

[This message has been edited by Donelle (edited January 09, 2007).]

Posts: 44 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

- posted      Profile for BruceWayne1   Email BruceWayne1         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks Donnele your comments are helpful and the re-write too. but it brings up a question I struggled with. maybe others could comment too.

in the movies, books and TV they would say "Bridge to Captain Lotus" but in the real Navy they say they intended reciever first, then the sender... "Captain Lotus - bridge" or "engine room - bridge" it doesn't flow as well on paper. what are your thoughts.

thanks again

Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green_Writer
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for Green_Writer   Email Green_Writer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should drop the meeting or give us more information regarding its significance.

"the six captains assembled in his state room"
"It had taken him four months to coordinate this meeting"
It just isn't credible enough. I'd drop it and have the captain playing chess or something. However if you were to keep sentence one, you might want to change it to "six colleagues".

I'd also drop the "Captain Lotus; bridge," / "Bridge; this is the captain," dialog. I see immediate flashbacks of the four Star Trek episodes I once suffered watching. This should be a simple fix.

Last but not least, I would drop "it was a chosen." I know you're trying to hook us, but it doesn't have to be so specific.

[This message has been edited by Green_Writer (edited January 09, 2007).]

Posts: 67 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drahm
Member # 4728

- posted      Profile for drahm   Email drahm         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed... I'm hooked.
NEED to know more. Who's the chosen? WANNA KNOW!
Makes me want to rewrite all my... um, stuff.
Drahm

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

Green thanks, the six Captains are gathered for a clandestine meeting to discuss the rebellion as it were. but collegues would work too.

Chosen isn't a hook it is leading directly into the action of the first scene; a confrontation with this Chosen One. SO you might suggest leaving that line off and going straight to the next scene, that being Capt. reaction to her arriving.

I know "real writers" hate Star Trek but just because something sounds like it... I mean help me, how else can a person in his stateroom nearly 7 miles and 38 decks below the bridge be notified when something happens. I am open to suggestions.

all good stuff I will consider thanks.

kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it. The writing was clear even if you withheld what the meeting was about. I assume the meeting is not important because you gloss over it though. Either tell me more if the meeting is important or delay telling me this information until after the Event Horizon/Chosen incident.

The hook for me though was the event horizon and the Chosen. I don't care that "every man in the state room knew . ." I care what Hansson knows.

I did't mind the way they paged him.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

to the story, the meeting is very important but not to the scene, the immediate action of the arrival of a Chosen, should I still delay mentioning it, ya think?
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Novel, or short?

I'd say whether you start with the meeting depends on 2 things: what seems most hook-y, and what matters to the story.

But if you do start with the meeting, tell us what it's for, and make us care (by telling us why the Captain cares). I think we'll care more if the Captain isn't angry with his crew for doing their jobs, but frightened about being caught.

BTW in current understanding "tracking an event horizon" is nonsense. Maybe you have a new meaning for it, though; I'd stick around to find out!

Better fix the punctuation.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

I'm thinking short, not novel, seems to me (i may be wrong) it would be the better place to start.???

tracking an event horizon is silly but so is FTL travel right now. The picture I have in my head is a moving black hole; that would have a moving event horizon would it not. Gotta love SF <grin>

I believe I'll hold off on the meeting; it naturally comes after the events with the Chosen. thanks everyone as usual I try to cram too much into the opening.

The puntcuration is a killer for me, never had those classes (I'm a math guy) I have read one book it did help, short of taking classes at the local college do you have any suggestions? its hass gatten betterer tho.

Thanks Wbriggs, I'm always eager to hear what you have to say on any ones post.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Tracking an event horizon is no more difficult than detecting it. The only thing that would make tracking it "silly" by modern standards would be if it were moving faster than light (or if there were no background). Of course, if we presume FTL, then "silly" is no longer an issue. The real problem is that when you say "tracking an event horizon", that implies that the event horizon is moving but the singularity isn't.

You're opening line isn't so good.

quote:
“Captain Lotus; bridge.”
“Captain Lotus; bridge,” the bulkhead panel repeated.

No, your text doesn't actually list it twice, but that is the effect of saying that it was repeated. It would be better if we already knew that Lotus had given orders to be left undisturbed. It would also be nice if we could have some idea of how far this meeting has gone, before it ends up being deferred indefinitely. For both those reasons I'd rather you started by giving us the situation and then having it interrupted...which helps us sympathize with Lotus a bit.

As far as the question of having them use modern navel conventions...I would vote nay. Yes, it will help you seem a little less "Trekkie", but I don't think it's very realistic. Using a formalized version of natural language is easier to understand, even for navel officers. I'd think that by the future they'd have figured that much out. Of course, you'd also think they'd have a more discrete (in both senses) communications system.

The bit about the displacement hatch seems a bit odd. Why would he open the hatch just to answer a call? Even if it was a normal door, doesn't that seem odd to you? Besides, you're already hitting us with a lot of stuff already, FTL drives, deep-space, secret meeting of starship captains, super-uber-transhumans, I think that you could wait a second on the nifty displacement hatches until someone is actually going to use them.

But even though the flow isn't great, it's a pretty interesting opening.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

Thanks Survivor great stuff as usual
Chaldea
Member # 4707

- posted      Profile for Chaldea   Email Chaldea         Edit/Delete Post 
My first thought as I began reading was "How is this different than Star Trek?" Or are you looking for a contract to write new Trek novels?

My second thought was if you keep the squawk box, you've got classic 1960s Trek. If the guys are playing chess at opening, you've got Star Trek Next Generation. Is this meant to be a Trek or Star Wars book? If you have a contract to write one of these or are writing toward that end, then maybe ok.

Otherwise, I felt the entire opening was cliched, Trek style. Thet they're on a starship, there's officers, captain is called to the bridge, he's irritated. Are you sure this is new stuff?

Posts: 75 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

Chaldea. now I see the problem KDW edited the last two or three lines (the hook) from my post. what is left is very generic. I don't know, maybe it was too long? everyone else got to see the whole thing, sorry.

I thought I read that the first 13 would fill the comment box, I guess I don't understand what is the first 13 then.

thanks anyway.

BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

We now have a simple way for you to know if you’re posting exactly 13 lines or not.

When you start a topic in Fragments and Feedback, and put your 13 lines in the message box, you know you're at exactly 13 lines if you can see all of your 13-line text without scrolling. (If you have blank lines between paragraphs, of course, you'll have to scroll that many more lines to see everything, but only in that case.)

This is also the case if you post any rewritten 13 lines in your topic.

KDW this is what you posted in the READ ME FIRST section. help me understand why you have edited my post back to well less then that. I just copied what you left of my post into this box to see and it is now three or four lines short. I am confused. is there an easier way, say number of characters and or spaces, we could look at?

No big deal, just curious and would like to get it right for the future. Plus it sounds like the first 13 are important to catching a buyers attention so I'd like to get that right too.

Thanks

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I can see, what KDW left fits pretty exactly in the comment box. There certainly isn't room for a couple more lines, anyway. What browser are you using?...or, perhaps it's your default system font that's causing the discrepancy.

For what it's worth, this didn't feel especially "trekkie" to me. But it does come across as a bit generic, because you skip on a prime opportunity to start with the real meat of the story. I think that, depending on what's happening, the actual dialog from the meeting might make an interesting opening...but that's only a might.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

thanks Im using Firefox now I know Ill just use this much in the future. NBD

thanks

KBD never mind

[This message has been edited by BruceWayne1 (edited January 10, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by BruceWayne1 (edited January 10, 2007).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.